Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: You may trash a card from your discard pile.  (Read 1429 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
You may trash a card from your discard pile.
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:41:07 pm »

I'm trying to figure out how to make this work- I think it would be interesting to have such a wide net for possible targets, but in exchange only be able to go one at a time.  It could synergize well with discard for benefits and Chancellor, two things I wouldn't mind boosting a bit.

+1 Action would probably be good, but I feel it needs something more or it's too close to Lookout.  Still, with just that, I feel it could make a decent 3. (It gives you more options than Lookout, but won't help with cycling or setting up your next draw.)  But...is making it spammable really a good thing when the point is quality over quantity?

+Card would be interesting, but it'd mess up the all-important CHANCELLOR SYNERGY.

I had originally thought of adding a way to trash a card from your hand, possibly requiring one before you could do the other, but then I decided that was just kinda boring since the point was to trash from something BESIDES your hand.

Maybe make it a terminal Silver for 3?  Or a +2 Action for....I don't even know what the price would be, but gut says 3-4.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
Re: You may trash a card from your discard pile.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 02:24:45 pm »

I think $3 for a terminal version of this would be fair. Compare to: Trade route, Develop. Both terminal trash-for-lousy-benefit (at least lousy if applied to curses/coppers/estates). This is a trash for NO benefit but it gives you the perfect target and doesn't reduce your handsize (so effectively +1 card)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:15:45 pm »

Would an effect that discarded one or more cards before trashing from the discard pile be doable, or does that work against your vision for the card? It would help avoid Counting House Syndrome, where the card is dead when your discard is empty.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »

Ascension has a bunch of cards that do "you may trash a card from your hand or discard pile". I dislike it because its strength depends so much on whether your discard pile is non-empty when you draw it. (Trashing from your hand also relies a little on favourable draws, but it's less extreme.)

I like LastFootnote's idea to have the card discard first. Consider a $3 terminal that forces you to discard a card, followed by trashing any card from your discard pile. It'd be decently good: early game, it's like a Trade Route, which isn't great but is sometimes useful. Later, it'd be absolutely the best Curse trasher, because you don't need to collide it with Curses.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:09:46 pm »

If you want it to do +1 Card, +1 Action, just have that happen after trashing a card, like how Oracle draws after the fact.

Otherwise, I like the terminal Silver idea.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.609 seconds with 20 queries.