Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Successfully added cards to DoubleJack!  (Read 1306 times)

mgallop

• Baron
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
Successfully added cards to DoubleJack!
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:47:10 pm »

I was playing on a board where Jack was the clear best strategy, and I opened 5-2. I didnt want to open Jack/nothing so I went Mine/Crossroads, then after the first shuffle, I improved some treasure and bought 2 Jacks. Opponent opened Jack/Silver, but I was able to outrage him (with a few terminal collisions) getting the 4th province on turn 12 and the 5th on turn 15 to win.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/28/game-20120728-103517-5c47af93.html

A few questions:
-Did I get lucky/have an unduly small number of collisions?
-Opponent doesnt get 4th province in 14 turns, what happens?
-Royal seal with Jack? On the one hand it lets you topdeck gold (Good!) on the other its just another silver that slows down your ability to cycle through the deck playing a bunch of Jacks, is it worth it?

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: Successfully added cards to DoubleJack!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:37:20 pm »

-Did I get lucky/have an unduly small number of collisions?
(mgallop draws: 2 Coppers, a Mine, a Jack of All Trades, and a Crossroads.)

-Royal seal with Jack? On the one hand it lets you topdeck gold (Good!) on the other its just another silver that slows down your ability to cycle through the deck playing a bunch of Jacks, is it worth it?
It's strictly better than a silver in a situation where he had two jacks and would buy a silver anyway.  Of course it's correct.  That said, his turn 11 decision to buy a second royal with three Provinces gone is shockingly bad.  In double jack mirrors, I think you can actually start Duchy dipping earlier than the standard "5 prov remaining" rule.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 03:46:48 pm »

There's no way Mine improves Double Jack.  I would have opened Jack/CR

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:46:18 pm »
+1

First off, double Jack is super overrated: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2634

On this particular board, I would probably open with a Jack to trash Estates, then go mass Monument. Adding VP chips is going to be better than adding a bunch of Silvers, which is all a second Jack really does for you.

But dealing with your specific strategies:

You don't have any cycling, so Jack should be a better opening than Mine. Also, with Jacks trashing Estates and adding Silvers, it's unlikely that Crossroads will do anything positive for you. It ended up actually helping, but probably just Jack/nothing is going to be better overall.

Royal Seal is of course good in this situation. You say:
its just another silver that slows down your ability to cycle through the deck playing a bunch of Jacks, is it worth it?
but this kind of misses the whole point of a double Jack strategy. You want to have a bunch of Silvers. If he skips Royal Seal and plays another Jack, the Jack also only adds another Silver...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.