Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 75  All

Author Topic: (BM) Murder Mystery Mafia I - Dea(r)th of an Ozle Game thread - Day 6  (Read 164384 times)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: (BM) Murder Mystery Mafia I - Dea(r)th of an Ozle Game thread - Day 6
« Reply #1775 on: August 15, 2012, 07:12:59 am »

When did I ever get lucky with my JoaT powers?

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 15, 2012, 07:13:50 am »

Ok, thoughts for this game.

First off, I wanted it to be more a story than a game, with events unfolding as they went along.

There was the obvious back drop of the murder, which I honestly thought would be solved by Day 2. This is the reasin the original murderer had a one shot lynchproof so you couldnt lynch him first day and lose the ability to solve the murder. Obviously thats pretty powerful on a Mafiosa, which is why it also outed him at the same time.

The obvious suspect
In any murder book, the first person you that seems obvious never is the culprit, but everybody distrusts him anyway, and quite often they end up dead next. Thus the hated townie holding the knife.

The Diversion

And of course there is always the red herring, which in this case was Werewolves. As eevee noted, his flavour was definately meant to induce that he was a bit rubbish and even stated that he had never found one. And also Frisk's stated he knew there were no werewolves.

The Sub Plot
Then you have the sub plot, where by the Grand Market (oh how I wish I had known the Dark Ages card Ruined Market at this point) was purely out for revenge on the Lab, but i did warn in the Labs flavour that he should be careful who he trusted.

Underlying themes
There is a sense of suspcion all the way round the table, as is befotting because nobody quite trusts anybody, you got the lynching role for another fellow townie, the werewolf red herring, the hated townie. This meant that the town had no reason to trust anyone, further powering the mafia. Also, the Eevee flavour that Steward was sniffing around was supposed to suggest that Steward was a werewolf, but Eevee looked straight past this and immediately read Town! (And then told his Mafia QT mate!)

Balance
To weaken the Mafia a bit, they were one of the QT's, except they did not know they were all Mafia in the coach party! They had to use one of Volts abilities to find out, he just got extremely lucky and rolled it the first night! (Although this was after they had voted in the coach party to kill)

Galzria having 3 QT at various people with other town was a big help, but its also the thing that got him outed and killed, so a two edge sword. Volt was always the real power mafia with his Pawn ability (pick two from 4) the downside is that they were a random 4 from 10, and once used meant he lost that choice. Which is why he never saw Double Vote or Day kill ability!

Obviously this made a strong town, so I put in a Cop, but then weakened the cop by saying after Envoy died he could investigate as seer instead.

Then you had the inventor, who was the character with the chequered past...he had done time in prison, which was why all his inventions were made of soap. I weakened this role a bit by giving him two worthless but flavour inventions (a bar of soap and a vial of silver)

I put the tracker and reporter  in for pure flavour reasons to be honest.

The masquerade was because at a murder investigation, not everyone is as they seem. And it also meant a chance of giving an extra mafia or Town, unfortuneately Grujah hedged too much!

Everybody essentially got weakened a bit to make up for the extra information from the flavour.

The Murder
Well, the easiest way to solve the murder was everyone post the cleared seats from thier PM, that way you would find that most seats were double confirmed as clear. The only one mentioned missing from his seat was 14, but he was cleared elsewhere! The only one who is never mentioned was 10....Obviously though that involved trusting everybody

Plus I dropped quite a few hints about buying and selling land and contention and there was only one card that bought and sold land, he even did it to stave off a lynch...
Also, i know i said the murderer could be any alignment, but he was always going to be mafia, it takes a killer to be a killer!

Then he died, so the rest of the hints were pretty useless.

It obviously wasn't easy, but I was surprised nobody picked up on it until the late game

Some notes:

Lucky Mafia: Voltglos getting the 'reveal mafia' on the first night.
Unlucky Mafia: Frisk tracking the two mafia who did the night kills in the first two nights! And then the one day FLT and Galz were both alive is the one day the town has a day kill!

I know some of you didn't like the roles, there was a lot of times people would say, 'thats not a typical mafia role', well this wasn't a typical mafia game, who cares what conventions Mafia Scum use, this was my game! things such as 1 shot lynchproof Mafia, Useless Seer, Hated townie and Town aligned lyncher, but they were all there for flavour reasons, and it was more important for the story!

Mess Ups due to Iphone which I apologise to the people involved
I accidently sent Frisk the link to the spectator QT instead of Galzria, but luckily he died that night anyway
I sent Insomniac Volts choices one night instead of Volt.

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 15, 2012, 07:14:33 am »

You got the 'Know Mafia' day 1! I thought it was pretty lucky at the time, but then was followed up by you never getting the Double Vote again, nor the Roleblock!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 15, 2012, 07:17:02 am »

This was essentially a flavour based game, even the people getting killed got flavour, even though nobody else would ever see it!

And quite often peoples flavour linked in with each others.

For example: Last night Eevees investigative message was to throw a cat into Timchens room. Timchen got the PM along those lines, but by then Eevee had died

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 15, 2012, 07:19:01 am »

I sent Insomniac Volts choices one night instead of Volt.

Which is why I couldn't make a believable story about my role.  I had to tell the truth, as unbelievable (and as Mafia-ish) as it was.

You got the 'Know Mafia' day 1! I thought it was pretty lucky at the time, but then was followed up by you never getting the Double Vote again, nor the Roleblock!

Eh, I didn't even think of that as a power.  That was just putting us back on normal footing from a major drawback we had from the get-go.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 15, 2012, 07:23:40 am »

I like how my current meta is "ooh Voltgloss is sly and clever you have to catch him on the little mistakes" when I have never won a game.  :p

Well, I won BM-IV.  By killing myself to get my idiocy out of the way of town.  Brilliant!  :)

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 15, 2012, 07:26:20 am »

I like how my current meta is "ooh Voltgloss is sly and clever you have to catch him on the little mistakes" when I have never won a game.  :p

Well, I won BM-IV.  By killing myself to get my idiocy out of the way of town.  Brilliant!  :)

Hey, you're one of the people I'm always most way of each time a new game starts! I always hate trying to figure you for town or Mafia because you could easily go either way.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 15, 2012, 07:35:05 am »

Just read the mafia qt.   awesome stuff.

My favorite

I will probably kill CF. It's otherwise just a matter of time before he finds me. Hell, he's probably sending in a command to track me right now!
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:54 am »

Just read the mafia qt.   awesome stuff.

My favorite

I will probably kill CF. It's otherwise just a matter of time before he finds me. Hell, he's probably sending in a command to track me right now!

Were you?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 15, 2012, 07:39:46 am »

No.  Ozle told me I was dead before I had a chance to think.  Offhand, I said I would have tracked morgrim, on the logic that he had been reasonably sane this game.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: August 15, 2012, 08:09:11 am »

Main Victory Winners:

Insomniac
Timchen
Eevee
Robz888
Morgrim7
Shark_bait
Captain_Frisk
Cayvie
Jtotheoneah

I don't win? sad, sad, sad face... so sad I am not going to use an emoticon

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 15, 2012, 08:11:27 am »

Main Victory Winners:

Insomniac
Timchen
Eevee
Robz888
Morgrim7
Shark_bait
Captain_Frisk
Cayvie
Jtotheoneah
YUMA

I don't win? sad, sad, sad face... so sad I am not going to use an emoticon

Fixed that

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 15, 2012, 08:23:45 am »

OH, and Volt... ftl was a Poisoner. He poisoned Grujah, it wasn't a completer modtroll.

FTL was the murderer, as he didn't have anyone suspect him by Day 2, he got to kill someone else.

However, there was a minor get out clause (as Grujah says), so it wasn't a complete power day kill, just a very likely one

I would probably have said that I didn't eat it, were you to send me a message only about BM.

What got me it being titled: "Haha" and than speaking about MVIII flavor.  :'(

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 15, 2012, 08:24:20 am »

BTW.

Another game where I am 1-shot-something and die without using my power. Need to stop doing that.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 15, 2012, 08:33:31 am »

*sigh*

So pretty much nobody was happy with their role or the balance or the way I did things. Half the people didn't even both submitting a murder suspect before they died!

Ahh well, lessons learnt!

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 15, 2012, 08:35:55 am »

Nono, Ozle, I am! I just palyed it bad. My role was awesum :) The souffle thing was great, I don't mind being tricked, it's just that I might have avoided it were you less sly. And that wouldn't necesarily be better.

As for murder, I think there weren't that many clues.. Iunno. Who did submit who to be murderer, anyway?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:37:35 am by Grujah »

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 15, 2012, 08:46:42 am »

Volt, why did you kill Evey when you did instead of myself or Insom???
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: August 15, 2012, 08:48:22 am »

Also, Volt, I think you played really well, and I'm glad it was insomniac in there at the end and not me, because I might have picked timchen!

I found that to be a really fun game, and , guys, it was my first win! WOOOT!
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 15, 2012, 08:50:34 am »

*sigh*

So pretty much nobody was happy with their role or the balance or the way I did things. Half the people didn't even both submitting a murder suspect before they died!

Ahh well, lessons learnt!

I was not happy about "getting" my role. The role itself was a good counter balance I think

Overall I loved the game and just wished I could have been alive to play more than watch

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 15, 2012, 08:51:49 am »

Volt, why did you kill Evey when you did instead of myself or Insom???

Yeah, in hindsight I should have killed Insom.  I knew you gave him the magnifying glass, because (1) you blatantly crumbed in the thread you were going to give something to Eevee - so of course you wouldn't do that; and (2) Insom chimed in to support the "yeah let's wait to investigate jo/Robz" rather obviously.  I knew he had it, but convinced myself I should take a different approach.  I really out-thought myself there.

I killed Eevee because he was being treated by everyone as confirmed town, whereas Insom was not.  I also thought Robz was prepared to handle whatever investigation result Insom was going to come up with.  I didn't anticipate Robz's method for handling it was to immediately vote me.  :p

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 15, 2012, 08:54:22 am »

I found that to be a really fun game, and , guys, it was my first win! WOOOT!

Yes, you definitely deserved it.  You and Insom both.  Beats being lynched/killed Day/Night 1, eh Insom?  :)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 15, 2012, 08:58:05 am »

Your own fault, Volt. Had you killed him D1, none of this would have happened. I knew there was a reason for him constantly dying.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 15, 2012, 09:03:12 am »

I throughly enjoyed the whole thing, even if it was unbalanced for <insert side here>.

I mean, I understand the frustration from Volt because we specifically talked about leaving certain options on the table for mid-late game... And then he basically lost his power the last two nights.

On the other hand, I disagree entirely that my QT's were a double-edged sword. I felt that I balanced them very nicely. I was never caught out because of them - and honestly I'm not sure I would've been. What caught me out was CF, plain and simple.

I think that Robz playing to his own wincon hurt the town. I think had he just played things naturally and let things fall into place, town would've won with more alive. But again, I think that's also due largely in part to CF.

In the end, I just think it was swingy, and well, any role-heavy game will be.

Start: Advantave Town
N1 Scum Detector by Volt: Even
N1 Track by CF: Advantage Town
D2 Cop reveal to me: Even
D2 Poison kill: Advantage Mafia
N2 Track by CF: Even
N2 Soap-Gun: Advantage Town
D3 Null: Advantage Town
N3 Null: Advantage Town
D4 Robz -> Joth: Even
D4 Morgrim kill: Even
N4 Eevee kill: Advantage Town (Yeah, hitting Ins with the investigation was the right move. 20/20 though)
D5 Robz self lynching: Even
N5 Null: Even
D6 Null: Even

---
Excepting a mistake PM to Ins, it ended up fairly even. It's just annoying when you make sacrifices early to try and get that edge later... Just to have that edge taken away because it wouldn't be balanced.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 15, 2012, 09:14:34 am »

On the other hand, I disagree entirely that my QT's were a double-edged sword. I felt that I balanced them very nicely. I was never caught out because of them - and honestly I'm not sure I would've been. What caught me out was CF, plain and simple.

One of the QT's was delieberately a tracker
I was suprised when you all but invited Frisk to investigate you to prove you had no night powers, and then did the kill.
That was the turning point I think.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 15, 2012, 09:22:09 am »

One of the QT's was delieberately a tracker
I was suprised when you all but invited Frisk to investigate you to prove you had no night powers, and then did the kill.
That was the turning point I think.

Nah, like I said in the Mafia QT, I fully expected him to. I just really thought we would get two nights of lynching and planning and free kills. What changed things was the soap gun. Without that I was absolutely fine with CF caching me too at that point.

(Obviously better if he doesn't)

Mafia Record:

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 75  All

Page created in 2.103 seconds with 20 queries.