Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tournament vs Duke  (Read 1537 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Tournament vs Duke
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:42:04 pm »

Here is a an interesting game a played that I would like to get people's thoughts on.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/25/game-20120725-091439-e069139f.html
The set is Bishop, Duke, Fool's Gold, Highway, Market, Nobles, Oasis, Pawn, Remake, and Tournament.
So there is the potentially interesting interesting duke-duchy market-highway combo. There is also tournament and fool's gold.
I decide to open fool's gold remake. Remake is not the best trasher for fools gold since nothing costs 1 but
 I figure it will still help me get rid of coppers and turn estates into oasis, which will help my fool's golds collide. My opponent opens tournament pawn. I guess he's sacrificing money for sifting. So, what do people think of the opening decisions? What other options would be good here?
Latter in the game, he gets a province on turns 7 and 9. On turn 10 I have enough for my first province, but was not really sure at the time that buying it would be the right move. My reasoning being that by that time I was already down by 2 provinces so the only way I could catch up would be to go for a long duke duchy game. I opt to buy the province because I'm scarred of loosing the tournament war. What do people think of this decision? Can the duke duchy player win even if he is constantly getting cursed by followers?
In the end I louse the tournament race anyway (not surprising since he already has 2 provinces in his deck while I have one. So I try to switch over to duke-duchy but its too late. By then I pretty much lost.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament vs Duke
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 12:52:18 pm »

With a highway, your fool's gold's cost $1.

Not that that is necessarily a great thing to play for.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 03:22:18 pm »

Tournament pawn wasn't sifting. 3 fgs are a province. He went for tournament province. and figured with tourn pawn, he'd either hit 5 for market or 4 for 2 fools golds. looking at the cards, at endgame you only have 4 cards less than him, 3 of them curses. The only point of remake is a slim deck. Remake oasis, remake pawn or even remake silver would have been better, if you're trying to buy 2 fgs per turn.Worst case you could have remaked a silver to tournament. Admittedly you had bad luck hitting only copper with your remake but he was buying 2 fgs to your one. Buying duchies was probably also a mistake. You should have been aiming to hit duchies with tourn prov and spend your money buying dukes.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:30:50 pm »

I think I would open like your opponent did, Tournament/Pawn, for Prizes and +Buy for FGs. Then I'd load up on Tournaments, FGs, and Provinces. This is just generally the way I'd go, and I'm only high teens in rank, so take it with a grain of salt. I/You'd have to think about what do do with $5, $6, and $7, taking Buys into account of course. I don't think FG would work well with Duke/Duchy at all, since heavy greening like that will hurt their chance of collision.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 03:49:33 pm »

Oasis with remake isn't such a great combination. With the estates getting trashed to create the oasis, the oasis will be discarding a copper or better when played. The remake is then presumably wanting to trash the coppers but these are the same cards that are getting discarded by the oasis. If the other kingdom cards were helpful then that pairing might be workable but here you need to get into the fool's gold quickly for an early province and remake+oasis doesn't do that.

Dukes and gardens often fare badly against tournaments since you generally should buy some provinces to block the tournaments. The tournament player can usually score quickly and continuously with help from tournament prizes if they are not contested, collecting estates and duchies as needed.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 04:05:49 pm »

Highway-Market with good trashing in Remake is also really strong.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.684 seconds with 20 queries.