Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fun 2/5 combo: Embargo/Haggler  (Read 3907 times)

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
Fun 2/5 combo: Embargo/Haggler
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:37:40 am »
+1

Just stumbled onto this by accident. Opened Haggler/Embargo, decided to embargo the hagglers since I already have one and opponent didn't. Then I could gain more hagglers with the haggler gain ability, while my opponent was locked out forever!  ;D

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Fun 2/5 combo: Embargo/Haggler
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:47 am »

What percentage of Dominion games will I play with this 2 card combo and this opening hand?

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:54 am »
+8

Hmmm.. 250 cards(ish?) total, 10 selected, 4% chance of getting one card, 0.16% chance of getting both, 0.027% chance of getting both with a 2-5 opening.  Or 1 in 3,750 games.

BUT WHEN IT HAPPENS, YOU'LL BE HAPPY YOU READ THIS

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:52:20 am »
+5

What percentage of Dominion games will I play with this 2 card combo and this opening hand?

Roughly the same as the chance of having Mint and Fool's Gold in the same kingdom and a 5/2 split?  Or any other fun 5/2 opening?  I'm not sure what your point is.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:53:01 am »

Then I could gain more hagglers with the haggler gain ability, while my opponent was locked out forever!  ;D

That is a cute opening, but it doesn't lock the opponent out of Haggler. He only needs to buy one Haggler and be in the same boat as you, only one Curse richer.

Now, if you can stack several Embargos on it before he can buy it, then that would be fairly meaningful, especially since you can use your Haggler to gain more Embargos, but a lack of +Action would likely obstruct this route.

Risking only one Curse doesn't strike me as a particularly daunting tactic. Swindler can put more Curses in his deck and without requiring purchasing it several times.

Although, any 5/2 opening can be improved with just because of its +$2.
A man has no signature

hobo386

• Salvager
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:24:32 pm »

It's certainly a nice opening, but it can really be generalized as $5/Embargo. Any time where you lock your opponent out of buying a card is nice. (and while one curse may not seem much, in my experience it usually is quite a bit).

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »

Then I could gain more hagglers with the haggler gain ability, while my opponent was locked out forever!  ;D

That is a cute opening, but it doesn't lock the opponent out of Haggler. He only needs to buy one Haggler and be in the same boat as you, only one Curse richer.

Now, if you can stack several Embargos on it before he can buy it, then that would be fairly meaningful, especially since you can use your Haggler to gain more Embargos, but a lack of +Action would likely obstruct this route.

Risking only one Curse doesn't strike me as a particularly daunting tactic. Swindler can put more Curses in his deck and without requiring purchasing it several times.

Although, any 5/2 opening can be improved with just because of its +$2.

Of course this is all assuming you even want a Haggler on that board. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »

Hmmm.. 250 cards(ish?) total, 10 selected, 4% chance of getting one card, 0.16% chance of getting both, 0.027% chance of getting both with a 2-5 opening.  Or 1 in 3,750 games.

200 cards exactly after Guilds.  Assuming Guilds has the same number of cards as Cornucopia.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ksf_

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 04:42:09 pm »
+1

I would embargo silver instead of hagglers, esp.I'd your opponent didn't open silver/silver or equivalent.  Use haggler to buy $4 and get your silvers free.  Could really slow down your opponent if she/he has to dance around silver for a while.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:58 am »

Good answer. :)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:11:11 am »
+1

To be fair to the original poster, he did say it was a fun combo, not a devastating one.

And it is!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.727 seconds with 21 queries.