Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Diplomacy  (Read 18196 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomacy
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 06:46:46 pm »

Diagram 27:

What exactly is Austrian player trying to do?
If he was unsupported, he would create self-standoff, both units staying Serbia and Vienna. Would this give him ownership of Budapest? Why?

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 06:53:18 pm »

Diagram 27:

What exactly is Austrian player trying to do?
If he was unsupported, he would create self-standoff, both units staying Serbia and Vienna. Would this give him ownership of Budapest? Why?

I would assume that Austria already owns Budapest and is simply trying to maintain control of it while maintaining control of Vienna and Serbia as well. Just imagine a more complete scenario where maybe Turkey has an army in Bulgaria and Germany has one in Bohemia. Austria would then have a problem. He wants to keep Budapest, Serbia and Vienna, but if he moves a unit out of either Serbia or Vienna in order to cover Budapest, he could lose the moving unit. So, he attempts to create a self-standoff to keep all three. Then, Russia, guessing this move (or maybe finding it out from Austria beforehand...) decides to support Serbia to Budapest so that his buddy Turkey can move in to Serbia.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »

So if Russian didn't support and he did

A Gal -> Bud

and/or Turkish guy did:

A Rum -> Bud

nobody would get Bud so Germany keeps all 3.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 08:03:05 pm »

Well, I think you mean "Austrian guy keeps all three" but yes, that's exactly what would happen and exactly what he wanted.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 08:06:42 pm »

Yeah, got confused because ingame Jerries are black.

Thanks, by the way :D You've been a huge help. Went through whole rulebook, got everything else.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »

I think that once the game does get started, I might put some general ideas on strategy up here. I don't have time to play, but I think I'll have time to share some thoughts.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 09:15:52 pm »

I'm up for playing, or I can help moderate.

For those interested in some strategic advice: I used this site to help me in my first Diplomacy game.

http://www.diplom.org/~diparch/resources/strategy.htm

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 02:18:47 am »

Current candidates list: Grujah, Robz888, Qvist, shraeye, jotheonah, cayvie, theorel

Anyone not picked will become a substitute. If any main player wishes to quit, a sub can just take over. Also, if a main player due to some reason can't submit his moves, he can ask a sub to send them for them.

In regards to how I'm going to do this: I will be using jDip to provide game files and upload screenshots to the thread. You only need those screenshots really, so you can easily play from a tablet or smartphone without jDip. jDip is just a nice tool to check how some situations would be resolved if you're having trouble understanding all the concepts. Once the game selection has been made, I will open up a different thread for the game itself and the title will keep changing from "Diplomacy Spring 1901" to "Diplomacy Fall 1901" etc... Only main players will be allowed to post there.

Any other feedback or strategy "tips" can be posted in this topic.

Main players are free to use whatever communication, probably PMs, to seek alliances. However, I would appreciate it if anything game related will be posted to the official topic.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 03:32:50 am »

It's not first come first serve?
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:19 am »

Idea:

Inthread, everybody writes text with his country's color and puts a flag infront of a post to make it easier to know who's-who. Namely:

France
England
Austria
Germany
Italy
Russia
Turkey

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 04:41:52 am »

It's not first come first serve?
No, see first post. I don't want to discriminate across timezones and some may wake up later and read the topic later.

Although I don't expect many more than 7 to enter.

@Grujah: Good idea.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:46:53 am by Davio »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 09:03:54 am »

Grujah, that sounds like a sound idea; avoiding confusion is always good.  In regards to that, what does it mean to put a flag in front of a post?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 09:42:03 am »

Bonjour! This is a French commander speaking! Death to English pigs!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Proin id ante a leo aliquet pellentesque. Aenean facilisis risus vel lorem pretium vulputate. Cras sed ante mattis orci elementum aliquet. Praesent gravida felis vel nibh vestibulum luctus. Aenean sapien nisi, vestibulum sed consequat quis, consectetur sed arcu. Fusce vel lorem erat, eget aliquet turpis. Mauris at tortor et ipsum aliquet pretium. In vitae suscipit sapien. Maecenas turpis dolor, sodales in feugiat hendrerit, mattis eget sem. Proin ut mauris felis, vitae tincidunt neque. Integer egestas bibendum mi, ac ornare quam pellentesque id. Vivamus diam mi, ultrices ac vehicula vitae, malesuada et elit. Mauris libero sem, venenatis nec porttitor vitae, mattis vitae nisl.

Like that. Except that colors are probably enough.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 10:45:04 am »

aha, now rereading that I realize that flag meant literal country flag.  I was thinking about some internet-posty-forumizer-hashtag-whizbang sort of gizmo.  My cleverness can often astound me.

Also, I'm dying to know what that Latin-y looking text means.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:46:27 am by shraeye »

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 10:46:47 am »

Bonjour! This is a French commander speaking!

We Surrender

Fixed that for you
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 10:48:20 am »

Also, I'm dying to know what that Latin-y looking text means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:35 am »

Curses!!! outclevered again!

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:40 am »

@shraeye - It has no meaning, it is a placeholder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

@Ozle - Made me LOL. Specially cause today I was preparing French jokes in case I get Germans, English or Italians ;D

(Edited to take out derogatory terms, maybe people don't like those)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:53:56 am by Grujah »

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:14 am »

How's the speed of this game (based on 2 seasons per week), is it fast like M6 or slower like Resistance and M7. I've never played diplomacy but would be interested if its  slower.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 10:53:52 am »

@Grujah  We should clearly be preparing all jokes; now where did I store all of those Austrian jokes...

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:14 am »

that was actually a very interesting read. Had no idea Lorem Ipsum came from Cicero.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:16 am »

Well, if everything is accessible from my Mobile for the oftentimes I'm not at my PC...
/in
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 11:15:30 am »

Count me out for this one, as I've never played Diplomacy and don't have time now to learn it up - but I'll be watching with interest and maybe join in the next one.

Bonjour! This is a French commander speaking!

We Surrender

Fixed that for you

There are not +1's enough in this world.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 11:31:55 am »

How's the speed of this game (based on 2 seasons per week), is it fast like M6 or slower like Resistance and M7. I've never played diplomacy but would be interested if its  slower.

Based on my experience, 2 seasons a week will be on the quick-side but excepting really bad time-zone mismatches should give plenty of time to hash things out.  I'm assuming (Davio can correct) that it's 3 days per fall/spring seasons, with 1 day for builds.  Presumably we'll have a day thrown in every now and again for any retreats that actually require decisions.

It's lots less intense than mafia communication-wise.  I mean you'll probably be concentrating on 2-3 conversations for the most part, where you'll be discussing strategies and trying to figure out what works best for both of you.  Of course, implied in that discussion is the possibility that the other player is trying to convince you to stretch yourself too thin, so that he can take advantage of your poor position.  But (at least when I've played) the majority of my time is spent in analyzing the board trying to figure out the optimal combinations of support and move orders to put me in the best position, and then secondarily trying to convince the other players that they should go along with it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 01:51:55 pm »

Okay, I have PM'd everyone with their country.

Unfortunately, Qvist was the only one not picked by the randomizer, the results of the draw can be seen here: http://www.randomresult.com/ticket.php?t=807P784W

I distributed the countries in alphabetical order, so #1 got Austria-Hungary and #7 got Turkey.

I will make a new topic especially and only for the entrants.

Discussion about the game by outsiders can continue in here. Main players are free to post in this topic or wherever they like, I would encourage them to post anything related to the game that other main players may need to see in that "main players only" topic.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 1.486 seconds with 19 queries.