Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Rank the Villages  (Read 9819 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Rank the Villages
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 03:51:16 pm »
+1

Festival seems overloved IMHO; i find its really a 4.5 worth card.  At 4, it would still be worse than chapel, and where it sits at 5, Festival usually winds up looking like a bad afterthought (esp when sitting with a couple other 5s).  Its main use is as a final engine part, mostly in engines that could find a way to win with other cards on the board.  City costs 5, Minion costs 5, Torturer, Margrave, Council Room, etc.  City is even a Village-type card :)

Festival isn't really a replacement for any of those other cards except City, and unless those Cities activate, Festival is clearly the superior card.  Sure you're not underestimating the power of the +$2?  That's really where the power is:  not only does it provide two important engine components -- extra Actions and an extra Buy -- but it gives you a huge chunk of the payload as well.  So not only doesn't the rest of your engine have to work as hard to get to Province/Colony level, but if it does overshoot, you've got the extra Buy to make use of the excess.

Festival is also a particular enabler for Library/Watchtower engines (where the disappearing coins are key) and Minion engines (where non-terminal coins are key, +Buy might be important, and +Actions let you slip in other terminals).

Finally, Festival is a rare engine component that slips into money decks okay too, because it's essentially a Silver-with-a-bonus.  It's probably unusual to want it in this capacity, because, since money decks don't overshoot your target amount as much as engines do, Festival's +Buy is probably less useful in a money deck.  But it's useful in a money deck more often than most Village-type cards.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:52:55 pm by rinkworks »

kopoljones

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:12 pm »

Festival is also a particular enabler for Library/Watchtower engines (where the disappearing coins are key) and Minion engines (where non-terminal coins are key, +Buy might be important, and +Actions let you slip in other terminals).

Finally, Festival is a rare engine component that slips into money decks okay too, because it's essentially a Silver-with-a-bonus.  It's probably unusual to want it in this capacity, because, since money decks don't overshoot your target amount as much as engines do, Festival's +Buy is probably less useful in a money deck.  But it's useful in a money deck more often than most Village-type cards.

I'll go playtest it some on the Dominion game I have.  I love me some library, could be I was just missing all sorts of things about the card.  I'll try it on some boards with library and see how that goes.
Thanks for the post.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »

I'll go playtest it some on the Dominion game I have.  I love me some library, could be I was just missing all sorts of things about the card.  I'll try it on some boards with library and see how that goes.
Thanks for the post.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the general idea is to buy about twice as many Festivals as Libraries, and start with 1-2 Festivals before buying your first Library.  I'm sure the play part is obvious:  play Festivals until you run out of them, then play Library to draw more cards.

The other great Library engine enabler is Hamlet.  It doesn't earn any coins, so all of the payload has to come from Treasures, but Hamlet's discarding ability essentially functions as a built-in Cellar, as a subsequent play of Library will replace the cards you discarded to Hamlet.

Speaking of Cellar, one or two of those works very well in a Festival/Library engine, because after filtering away your junk, a subsequent play of Library fills Cellar's card slot back in.  Admittedly, three-card combos are rare, but if you're only playing with the base set, Festival-Library-Cellar will absolutely show up every so often.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 06:20:31 pm »

No, I am in fact talking about a full-blown engine.
Are you sure that's actually better than Wharf going Wharf BM with 1-2 Bazaars?

Well, in the first game, had NinjaBus not resigned I would have drawn my deck and drained three more Provinces from the stack- buy two with the $16 in my deck, and another one via Salvager.

On Turn 12.  I don't know if I could have guaranteed doing that again to finish things off on Turn 13, but possibly.

Yeah.  Pretty darn sure that's better than Wharf-BM.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 06:32:08 pm »

No, I am in fact talking about a full-blown engine.
Are you sure that's actually better than Wharf going Wharf BM with 1-2 Bazaars?

Well, in the first game, had NinjaBus not resigned I would have drawn my deck and drained three more Provinces from the stack- buy two with the $16 in my deck, and another one via Salvager.

On Turn 12.  I don't know if I could have guaranteed doing that again to finish things off on Turn 13, but possibly.

Yeah.  Pretty darn sure that's better than Wharf-BM.
Yeah, but that's pretty close to an ideal scenario. You don't have that deck at turn 12 every time.

EDIT: It's pretty easy to get half the Provinces in 12 turns with Wharf BM too:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/24/game-20120724-153711-e75d22e6.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:38:16 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 07:48:32 am »

My ranking :
Fishing
Festival
Nobles
Hamlet
Border
University
City
Worker's
Bazaar
Mining
Farming
Native
Vanilla
Walled
S.Town

(is really crossroads a village, as it isn't an example in rinkworks's challenge ?)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 07:54:02 am »

A Vilage is a card that gives at least +2 Actions, and as Crossroads does not do this every time you play it, no, it isn't a Village.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.