Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Winning with 4/3 against a 5/2 opening Torturer  (Read 1126 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Winning with 4/3 against a 5/2 opening Torturer
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:52:43 pm »

Just played this nonsense: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/20/game-20120720-104928-57b2a339.html

It took forever, but I managed to beat him, even though he got Torturer on his first turn.  I think it's mainly because opening Potion allowed me to start earlier on the Alchemists, and because I wasn't afraid to take a Curse - that's what Remake was for!

Anything I could have done differently?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
Re: Winning with 4/3 against a 5/2 opening Torturer
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:04:36 pm »

I'd consider opening remake, then getting a potion on turn 3/4 (hopefully). It'll slow you down from getting your first alchemist, but hopefully the smaller deck will allow you to see you potion more frequently after the first two shuffles, as well as connect your early alchemists to the potion.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 02:11:34 pm »

I think your opponent made a mistake trying to go Alchemist at all. Surely the better strategy for him is to commit big time to a Torturer/Native Village engine that draws his whole deck without having to dip into a Potion-cost card at all?

This is a good board for Alchemist (+buy, trashing, Colony), and perhaps Alchemist is the dominant strategy. In which case I don't think pursuing them from a 5/2 start was going to work out for him.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:05 pm »

A couple other thoughts:

Outpost is likely to be strong here. It often is with large alchemist stacks.

On a 5/2 I probably grumble a bit and open remake/NV.

I'm surprised no one bought a Mountebank. It'll give two cards you need to trash instead of just the one from torturer. And it works after the curses are gone. And I don't know that you need that much card draw from torturers since the alchemists should take care of that.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 12:35:32 am »

I agree that I probably should have opened Remake.

I do think Remaking those Spice Merchants into Duchies was clever, and probably won me the game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.472 seconds with 20 queries.