Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Making my own card game  (Read 1789 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Making my own card game
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:12:39 pm »

So, I've made several games in the past, one is pretty fun and unique, but the others have been a flop.

So I'm fixing my games to actually make them good.

The one I am now working on is called "Battle of the myths" (REALLY need to change it's name).

It's a game where players take turns picking Monsters from a community dungeon and putting them into any of three color-coded locations (either red, blue, or yellow) in front of them, draw 2 Weapons from a Weapons deck, and attach them face-down from their hand to their Monsters. These weapons either improve the Monsters attack, or hinder the opponent's.

Once everyone has taken their turn, a card of each color area is added to a Battle Deck, one is drawn off the top equal to the number of rounds it has been, and a monster in the same color location as drawn cards add up their attack, and gains a victory point for each Monster they have a higher attack than.

All Monsters that died once discards their Monster and all attached Weapons, except one Weapon which is returned to their hand. Whichever Monster defeated all opponent's, stays.

After 5 rounds, the game is over. But there are a few things that make the game interesting.

1. Each Monster is given a typing consisting of 2 types (Undead, Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Magic) and a special ability unique to that Monster. There are 15 unique combinations, so there are 15 different types of Monsters.

i.e. Fire Dwarf: Fire/Earth: When put into play, attach a Weapon in your hand to this Monster.

2. At the beginning of the game, a deck of 1 of each type is shuffled and 3, at random, are placed faceup. Then, at random, 1 of each of colored chips (blue, red, or yellow) is placed at random on top of each of the revealed Type cards. All Monsters in that colored area, and have a matching type, get +1 Attack.

i.e. Red token is placed on Undead Type Card. All Undead monsters in the red location get +1 Attack.

3. In the first turn of the game, each player takes turn placing 2 Monsters from the Dungeon into play, and not do anything else. This way, it becomes nearly impossible to run out of Monsters.

4. Each Location can have a maximum of 2 Monsters in it.

5. If 2 Yellow cards on draw from the Battle deck, both Monsters in your Yellow location have to battle. If it's just 1 Yellow, only one has to fight, but you pick. If it's 1 Yellow, and you have no Monsters in the area, you do not fight in that battle. If 3 or more of the same color are drawn, ignore them.

6. When 2 cards of the same type of monsters in the same location are battling, it is 2 separate battles.

7. Each Weapon can only be used with certain types.

i.e. The Weapons in the game are:
"Orbs": Useable only by one type, gives +2 Attack
4 Orbs for each type in deck. 6 types.

"Swords": Useable by 3 types, gives +1 Attack
All unique combinations are taken. 2 of each combination in deck. 6 combinations.

"Big Bonus Cards" (not actually what they say): Useable by 2 types, give +3 Attack vs 1 or another type, +1 Attack vs anything else.
All unique combinations taken. Balanced out the types the useable types get +3 Attack to, so the math adds up. There are 6 of these in the Weapons deck.

"Diamond Shields"
(what's it's actually called): Useable by all types, -1 attack from each of the opponent's attached 'orbs'. There are 4 in the deck.

"Diamond Anvil" (what it is called): Useable by all types, +1 Attack to each of your attached 'swords'. There are 2 in the deck.

And that's all of them.

8. There are 3 of each of the 15 Monsters in the Monster deck.

9. The Dungeon is made up of 9 Monsters that is replaced by a Monster from the top card of the Monster deck when one is taken.

10. The Monsters in the game are:
Kracken
Mummy
Fire Dwarf
Hydra
Ghost Dragon
Siren
Golem
Gargoyle
Elemental
Skeleton
Fairy
Mudman
Will-o'-the-Wisp
Mage
Pheonix

11. The game is over after 5 rounds. (Yep, that's right, in the last round, 5 battles are fought).

If you see any flaws, problems, or just have some critics, comment.

If you want to delve deeper into the game and help me out more than just critics, send me a PM.

Thanks a bunch!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Re: Making my own card game
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 03:08:19 pm »
+1

At a glance (and without seeing the makeup of the deck), I'd be concerned about dead cards. I'm leery of the Diamond Shield. It sucks to have a hand of cards where something is unusable. I saw this a lot in Lunch Money. Sure, Freedom and Disarm cards are really great, but they just take up space until someone plays Grapple or a weapon card on you. I'd be really afraid that the Diamond Shield would spend a lot of time in someone's hand until he's attacked by something with an Orb (which is also a relatively rare card). I'm also a little concerned about Diamond Anvil, but swords are usable by about half the creatures, it seems, so the real rarity is how often you can get swords and anvils in the same draw. Diamond Shields and Orbs are my biggest concern.

One thing I like is when cards can be played for a lesser effect if the main intent cannot be met. Perhaps the Diamond Shield is -1 on opponent attacks but -2 if the attack includes an Orb.

It looks like you have great theme going on, so keep that up. I'm not sure about Diamond Shields and Diamond Anvils. I'm no geologist, but I understand that while diamond is the hardest material, it can still be shattered, especially if used a shield or anvil. Perhaps if you go with mithril. It's Tolkein, I believe, so Hasbro can't sue you for using that material. Of course, if the anvil and shield are magical, then they could be any material you want, so this isn't a hard-and-fast criticism.

Just my initial thoughts.

A man has no signature

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:05:27 pm »

Thanks for your input Kuildeous!

There are a total of 24 Orbs in the Weapons deck, 12 Swords, 4 Diamond Shields,  and 2 Diamond Anvils. So the number of Orbs in the deck outnumbers the other cards.

I think you misunderstood how the weapons work. You attach the Diamond Shield face down to one of the monsters. Then when the battle begins, all opponent weapons with "Orb" in their name got -1 Attack (so 2 Attack becomes 1 Attack).

But I see what you are saying. You do not know if an opponent has Orbs attached or not. That's why I made Orbs the most common weapon, so that most of the time they will have one attached.

Diamond Shield essentially gives you +1 Attack for each of your opponent's attached Orbs, so if they have 3 Orbs, +3 Attack for you. But they could have none attached, which could by +0 for you, and a waste of a Weapon placement. I did it purposely like that so it is a gamble by attaching one.

Your right about the name. A lot of names in this game need revisions, so thanks for your Mithril idea, I'll use that instead of Diamond.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:25:54 pm »

I'm part of a Board and Card game playtest group in Northwest Houston, if you're looking to have some people play the game who haven't had it taught by you. If you've got a digital copy of the game, you could send it over and get some more detailed feedback. Or if you randomly happen to be within range of northwest Houston, you could come over yourself!

http://www.meetup.com/Houston-Boardgames-and-Prototypes/

Some games this group have playtested:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/74390/rolling-freight
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/83068/1955-the-war-of-espionage
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/110286/zong-shi
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/112462/schlock-mercenary-capital-offensive

And plenty of other games that haven't been published/are still in negotiations.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.797 seconds with 21 queries.