Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ANOTHER Random card idea/concept I need opinions on.  (Read 3361 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
ANOTHER Random card idea/concept I need opinions on.
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:25:34 pm »

Action:$0*
+1 Action
You may trash this card. If you do, gain two cards costing the same as the cost of this card when it is trashed.
---
During your Action Phase, this card costs $1 more per copy of this in play (Including this).

*NEW VERSION*
Action:$5
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash this card. If you do, gain two cards, costing up to $1 per copy of this card in play (Including this).

I added the 'up to' clause, which I feel may make it a bit more powerful, but I feel it's well-priced.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:29:18 pm by Graystripe77 »

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Re: ANOTHER Random card idea/concept I need opinions on.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:51:27 pm »

Why not just:

+1 Action
You may trash this card. If you do, gain two cards each with a cost equal to the number of copies of this you've played this turn (including this).

The cost mechanic seems a bit funky for what you're attempting with the card. Anyway, it seems interesting, but hard to maneuver and VERY parasitic. But I like the idea anyway.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:54:33 pm by Rush_Clasic »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 11:32:36 pm »

Without collisions, this is useless. With 2 colliding, you can trash one to gain 2 cards costing $2. That is usually bad. 2 colliding is as difficult to make happen as a Treasure Map, which gives you 4 Gold on your deck and eliminate themselves.

3 is exponentially more difficult to have collide, especially since the first 2 are essentially Curses. The reward is 2 cards costing $3, but you still have the 2 "curses". When you say "in play", if you wanted to trash your last 2, you have to gain 2 cards costing $2.

4 is even harder to combine and ther reward is 2 cards costing $4 (and 2 virtual curses) or 4 cards costing $3, not worth the effort.

If the card counted all Actions, then it would be a modified Horn of Plenty with self trash (not just on Victories). The best move with that card is to get an engine together, play 7 actions, then each of these in your hand, since they trash themselves, then each of this card is 2 Provinces.

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:35:30 pm »

+1 Action
You may trash this card. If you do, gain two cards costing the same as the cost of this card when it is trashed.
---
During your Action Phase, this card costs $1 more per copy of this in play (Including this).

Whaddya think?

Interesting idea, but there are a number of issues that need to be addressed. A couple thoughts:

-This card is worthless without a strong engine. You have to pretty much be able to draw your deck to make them work. They're likely to be weak even then--compare to horn of plenty.
-If you want to this card, you really have to commit. They're useless until you get large numbers of them.
-You'd probably have to double the number of copies in the supply to make this card work. First of all, if both players go for them, neither will be able to gain much of use. Second, if you want this card at all, you'll probably want to use this card to gain copies of itself. Third, if you can't replenish your supply, you'll quickly end up trashing this card to gain silver. Fourth, it should be extremely easy to pile out.

I think making this card a cantrip is the best chance to make the concept workable. Of course, if you do that you need to raise the cost.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:37:20 pm »

+1 Action
---

Whaddya think?

Interesting idea, but there are a number of issues that need to be addressed. A couple thoughts:

-This card is worthless without a strong engine. You have to pretty much be able to draw your deck to make them work. They're likely to be weak even then--compare to horn of plenty.
-If you want to this card, you really have to commit. They're useless until you get large numbers of them.
-You'd probably have to double the number of copies in the supply to make this card work. First of all, if both players go for them, neither will be able to gain much of use. Second, if you want this card at all, you'll probably want to use this card to gain copies of itself. Third, if you can't replenish your supply, you'll quickly end up trashing this card to gain silver. Fourth, it should be extremely easy to pile out.

I think making this card a cantrip is the best chance to make the concept workable. Of course, if you do that you need to raise the cost.
A cantrip may be a good idea, but raising the cost makes it more powerful, If I'm reading it right.

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »

I was kind of assuming you'd adjust the wording to compensate. After all, the obvious intention of the original wording is to say, "gain a card costing exactly $1 per copy of this card you have in play." Just use something like that and you'd be fine.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 10:44:39 pm »

That wording is vague. A new player may think they get a lot of cards costing $1.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:25:49 pm »

That wording is vague. A new player may think they get a lot of cards costing $1.

Well, that shouldn't be too hard to sort out with a few sentences in a rulebook/FAQ. I like the idea.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

Horn of Plenty already has similar wording without apparent problems.

I'm worried by the comparison to Horn of Plenty: this card seems much weaker.

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 12:48:23 am »

Since this is a cantrip, one strategy would be to piledrive it and then throw them in a megaturn.  If you managed to get 8, you could grab all 8 Provinces in one go, with some Duchies to spare.

If there's a decent support card around, and your opponent is doing the same, you only need 5 or 6.  Assuming the two of you empty this pile, the first person to luck out can empty the Duchies and then finish off the support card pile.

On the other hand, they aren't that great until you have 5 or more in play.  If you get 4 out, you can turn a single $5 card into two $4 cards, which is like a reverse double-Feast.  You could of course get 8 $4 cards this way, but if they were good, why didn't you just start with those?  Cities are in a similar position, but they are at least Villages until they power up and you take your mega-turn.

Maybe make this a Peddler variant (I know, missed the challenge) and add $1 to them?  I know that the Peddler effect is priced at $4, but I feel like they should do something else at least.

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:52:04 am »

Just realized I may have misread the card and it's even a bit weaker.  If you trashed 8 copies, you'd get something like 2 Provinces, 2 King's Courts, 2 Golds, 2 Duchies, etc.  Not the win condition I was thinking of...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.696 seconds with 21 queries.