Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Buying Physical Dominion  (Read 16439 times)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Physical Dominion
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 08:31:38 am »

I never said it was the most difficult.

HoP is NOT a good card for newbs. When I play with HoP and Newbs at the same time, I find myself constantly explaining it.

And Tournament,well, I guess I am one of those people who hate Tournament.

I agree with you on Jester! :)
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:44 am »

I'm not sure if Cornucopia would be good for a I-am-only-buying-two-expansions situation.  As Morgrim referenced, there are plenty of cards that would need explaining to friends that you are trying to introduce a super cool game to. (and as I've found, each explanation that occurs reduces fun by some non-trivial amount)  I think Seaside is just plain fun, some solid cards and some cards that are fun to play with even if you lose.  Prosperity is fun too, but if you aren't a fan of that then Hinterlands also has fun/interesting cards.  When starting to explain the game to new friends, fun/interesting is what you're looking for.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 09:28:49 am »
+1

Quote from: Morgrim7
HoP is NOT a good card for newbs. When I play with HoP and Newbs at the same time, I find myself constantly explaining it.
Quote from: shraeye
I'm not sure if Cornucopia would be good for a I-am-only-buying-two-expansions situation. 

I agree, as I said if you want to play with new players : Seaside is the best choice. Otherwise, take cornucopia (or Seaside if you want a large set).
Seaside is the expansion with the best quality/simplicity ratio, and IMO it fits very well with the main set, unlike Intrigue (seaside fits well with all sets, in fact).
Prosperity is more difficult, and I don't recommend it as a first expansion.
Hinterlands and Alchemy are too complex.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 09:39:17 am »

Prosperity is more difficult, and I don't recommend it as a first expansion.

Yeah, I guess in my mind I was imagining introducing new players by first playing 2-3 games with base, then adding in fun/simple seaside.  If friends really like it and are building some experience (two of my friends in particular loved Dominion so much that the night I taught it to them, we went on to play 10 games, and then played again two days later), then they can break out Prosperity for added complexity.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 11:59:30 am »

I'm a fan of Intirgue and Prosperity. however, that just seems to lead to playing BM most of the time.

Wait, what? Prosperity is the most engine-friendly set out there, and Intrigue's certainly less BM-centric than the base set. How is it that you end up playing BM most of the time?

philosophyguy

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 12:56:41 pm »

I was introduced to the game by friends who owned Base but not Intrigue, and so the first box I bought on my own was Intrigue. That meant I had a number of games with family with Intrigue but no Base cards. It wasn't bad, per se, but not having the Base set available really makes you realize how important those cards are, conceptually, to the game of Dominion. They really represent the essence of the game.

So, I would recommend the Base set as one of your three. Intrigue is a great compliment to the base set, but I find it doesn't change the game that much. I love playing with Intrigue, but playing with just Base and Intrigue wasn't substantially better than playing with just Base. Consequently, I would recommend doing another set instead of Intrigue.

Everyone loves Seaside, so that's a solid recommendation. I have yet to find someone who didn't enjoy that set.

So, you've got Base and Seaside. Prosperity has some of the most powerful cards in the game and makes killer engines possible, so that's a strong contender for your third set. Cornucopia is fun but complex, and with only half as many cards it's not a great choice if you're just buying three sets. Hinterlands is one of my favorite sets because it really adds some strategic depth, and it does pair nicely with Seaside as the "this turn/next turn" thematic combo, so that would be a second reasonable choice. I like Alchemy a lot, but it's not a great choice if you are playing with newer players.

Thus, my recommendations would be Base/Seaside/Prosperity, followed closely by Base/Seaside/Hinterlands.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.784 seconds with 21 queries.