Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenges #5 and #6!  (Read 54757 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenges #5 and #6!
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2012, 04:52:29 pm »

Congratulations to the winners!

I was kind of hoping one of the Treasure cards would win, though (esp. Jewels/Sarah). Maybe there will be a Treasure Challenge in the future? It seems like there is space there for some interesting stuff!

Also, rinkworks, what is the policy of submitting losing cards to future contests? I would like the opportunity to vote for some of the losers again in another category.

A Treasure card challenge is pretty much obligatory, I think, so yeah.  As for resubmitting cards that lose, why not?  I think someone already did it, actually, so there is precedent.

Isn't this contradictory to one of the posted submission rules?
"* A single card might conceivably qualify for multiple challenges within this series.  However, you may not submit the same card for more than one challenge."

Oops!  Ok, I forgot all about that rule.  I guess I need to abide by it through the current challenges.  I'll rethink that for future ones.

It should probably be stricken, because it would be pretty easy to change the card slightly to get by it.

But maybe restrict submitting the same card to concurrent contests?  That would be the current two and probably the previous two, since you don't know whether the earlier submission will succeed or not.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »

I feel great about second place- but man, I voted for Pawnshop! Congratulations :)
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2012, 06:25:54 pm »

#5 - Swashbuckler's Inn by Saucery with 13 points (Linder)
$4 - Action-Attack
+1 Card
+2 Actions
Each player (including you) reveals the top and bottom card of their deck. Choose whether they put the revealed cards back in the same place or swap their positions.

#5 (tie) - Museum by Saucery with 12 points (Pola)
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
You may trash a card from your hand. If the supply pile of the trashed card is empty, gain a Duchy. If the supply pile of the trashed card and another supply pile is empty, you may gain a Province instead.
Pleasantly surprised how well these did, especially the village since it's not something that has a big impact on a game. Congrats to the winners
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:27:05 pm by Saucery »

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:26 pm »

rinkworks: will there be a round of voting near the end where all of the 2nd place finishers compete against each other to fill out the last slot? Considering contests have been won by one point, a few great cards are being left out. Note: I don't have any 2nd place finishers yet.

That's actually a really nice idea.  +1 for you.  As you say, some contests have only been won by a single point (in some cases, perhaps because the author of the second place card didn't vote), and the cards at the top have generally been strong cards.

I'm not promising to do it, and if I do do it the eligible cards might not be the second-place finishers (for example, perhaps it would be open to any finishers who came within a certain number or percentage of points from the winner).  But I will definitely give this idea some thought and reassess when I get closer to winding everything down.

I like this idea too!  My favorite card out of the 8 I have submitted so far was Heirloom and placed 2nd in the deck improver challenge.  I know it would have been a tall order to place first two times in a row but I really like that card.

I'm curious though... there was some discussion about the card being underpowered as is but I liked the $5 price point because of its reaction and I thought the reaction portion made it a solid $5.  To me, increasing the treasure's value to $2 would have overpowered the card.  For those that thought it was underpowered, what would you have done different?

Congrats to the winners!

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2012, 08:47:40 pm »

I has a sad that my cards sucked... but you're all probably right.  Congratulations to the winners!

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2012, 01:23:11 am »

rinkworks: will there be a round of voting near the end where all of the 2nd place finishers compete against each other to fill out the last slot? Considering contests have been won by one point, a few great cards are being left out. Note: I don't have any 2nd place finishers yet.

That's actually a really nice idea.  +1 for you.  As you say, some contests have only been won by a single point (in some cases, perhaps because the author of the second place card didn't vote), and the cards at the top have generally been strong cards.

I'm not promising to do it, and if I do do it the eligible cards might not be the second-place finishers (for example, perhaps it would be open to any finishers who came within a certain number or percentage of points from the winner).  But I will definitely give this idea some thought and reassess when I get closer to winding everything down.

I like this idea too!  My favorite card out of the 8 I have submitted so far was Heirloom and placed 2nd in the deck improver challenge.  I know it would have been a tall order to place first two times in a row but I really like that card.

I'm curious though... there was some discussion about the card being underpowered as is but I liked the $5 price point because of its reaction and I thought the reaction portion made it a solid $5.  To me, increasing the treasure's value to $2 would have overpowered the card.  For those that thought it was underpowered, what would you have done different?

Congrats to the winners!

I also really liked Heirloom.  Got a vote from me.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2012, 08:54:31 am »

I think it's correct as-is.  It's probably a lot better than Explorer in almost all cases, for example.  Explorer produces more coins on the current turn, but it's a terminal Action.  Your card being a Treasure means you can stack them, exploding your deck with Silver.  Of course Explorer can get you multiple Golds, but how often does that actually work?  In a way, trashing the card for a single Gold might be better a lot of the time.

It's not too good, because there is plenty of headroom above Explorer in the $5 price tier.  But my guess is it's fine.  The only thing I didn't like about it was you pretty much have to play a money deck to use it, and that's not my style.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2012, 09:41:27 am »

Huh I havent voted for the #5 and #6 challenge due to an Internet failure since Wednesday. Fortunately I've seen I have enough time to submit for the two followings !

To the challenge #5 : I didn't know someone else (iangoth) created the same ^^. I personally hesitated long between pricing it at $5, creating Cobbler instead : one less card, yeah ! But my (and maybe iangoth's ?) idea was a scout-like. I thought afterwards it was maybe too powerful : +4 cards, +1 action, if several ferries/patrollers collide just put one back !
To the challenge #6 : This time I was alone with my idea... so what to say ?
I wonder how will work the winning card, a Copper-merger at the beginning... and then a late salvager or gardens-feeder.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2012, 01:37:01 pm »

I do like the copper smelter aesthetically, but am skeptical the card will play out well in practice.  I hope it does, and more power to it though.

Can't complain about Novello's victory, I voted for it! And liked it.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2012, 03:33:10 pm »
+1

I do like the copper smelter aesthetically, but am skeptical the card will play out well in practice.  I hope it does, and more power to it though.

My suspicion is that it'll usually be a power opener (it's super strong to be able to gain on an early-game trashing turn) whose utility plummets after the second shuffle, to the point where you maybe only want it when there are good $2s -- unless you have a use for the explode ability, which would be significantly rarer and mostly only good for alt-VP.  (Is it worth exploding your starting Estates?  Not sure.  Common wisdom regarding correct Ambassador play prioritizes dumping 2 Coppers over 1 Estate, so perhaps not.)

It's probably a high skill card.   I'm looking forward to discovering what kind of slick tricks I can pull with it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:36:18 pm by rinkworks »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2012, 11:00:49 am »

Heirloom could get a new wording that removes its Reaction. Major props, since it works like a "on trash" Dark Ages card.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2012, 09:50:01 am »

#37 (tie) - Consul by Nicrosil with 3 points (Stroheim)
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may put your deck into your discard pile. Put a card from your discard pile on top of your deck.
--
When you buy Consul, shuffle your discard pile into your deck.
--
(Rules clarification: You shuffle your discard pile into your deck before gaining this.)

An element of this card was made into a Dark Ages card. Exciting.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2012, 10:30:13 am »

Here is the ballot for Challenge #6!

Theda
$5 - Action
+1 Buy
+$1
+1 VP
Trash a card from your hand.  If it is an...
Action card, play it three times.
Treasure card, +$ equal to its cost.
Victory card, +VP equal to half its cost in coins, rounded down.

The most interesting element of this card (the on trash King's Court) was sort of used for dark ages. Guess it pays to be simple.

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »

Good memory there!  I revised it after the contest in the regular Variant thread to this, which turns the KC into a TR:

Burnt Offering
$3 - Action
Trash a card from your hand.  If it is an...
Action card, instead play it twice, then trash it.
Treasure card, +$ equal to its cost.
Victory card, +VP equal to half its cost in coins, rounded down.

This one compares well to the new Dark Ages card.  1 cheaper, but instead of gaining a new card, you get gimped Salvager on your treasure, and a gimped Bishop on your Victory cards.

Definitely right that simple is better.  My revised card is simpler than the original one and still is doing a lot.  Might have done better with this version.  The way the contest was written, I don't know if the card would have qualified if it was just a Throne Room trasher. :)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:59 am »
+1

Hey, I made a card that's almost like one from Dark Ages:

Quote from: Dark Ages
Forager
$3
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand. +$1 per differently named Treasure in the trash.
Action

Quote from: My Card for Challenge #6
#4 - Tinkerer (1) by Davio with 13 points (Anita)
$4 - Action
Trash a card from your hand.
+$1 per differently named card in the Trash pile.

So apparently it was missing an action and buy, it was $1 too expensive and only Treasures in the trash should count.  :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2012, 05:41:36 pm »

#3 (tie) - Archaeologist by Green Opal with 14 points (Fairbanks)
$3 - Action
+$2
You may put a card from your discard pile on top of your deck.

#20 (tie) - Historian by Schneau with 6 points (Fields)
$3 - Action
+$2
If your deck is not empty, discard the top card.  Look through your discard pile; reveal one card and place it on top of your deck.

Both Green Opal and I designed cards for this challenge very similar to Scavenger. Mine is slightly closer, since it allows for discarding the top card of your deck. I guess the option to discard your entire deck makes Scavenger worth $4 instead of $3!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.