Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Race for the Galaxy  (Read 6109 times)

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
Race for the Galaxy
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:41:49 pm »
+1

I really like RftG, and I gather that some players here play it as well. Is there anywhere I can find RftG online or find online resources discussing it? Does something like dominionstrategy.com exist for RftG?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Race for the Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »
+3

Maybe if Alien Artifacts is really f'ing good, I'll start a sister site for rftg strategy.

You can play the keldon AI program multiplayer online.

BGG posts from 2008-2010 on rftg are pretty good, especially if you know who to ignore ;).  Maybe because its learning curve is much more brutal, it didn't get as noisy and overwhelmed by noobs as Dominion did on BGG.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:08:49 pm »

You should also consult http://rftgstats.com, which is CouncilRoom for RFTG, and rrenaud's first foray into boardgame stat analysis

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 06:17:40 pm »

You can play RtfG online on boardgamearena , and it is quite decently done, unlike Dom.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:15:32 am »

Ressing this old thread because I'm really liking the game.

I've played a few games, but I've yet to be able to see great combo potentials from cards drawn together during a single game. Even with the +5 Explore I have a hard time finding planets and developments that works good together. Now, I only have the base cards, but I plan on getting the expansions.

Also, how should I try to get better at the game? Just play a lot? Try to make combos that doesn't look to good work? Consume 2xVP?

And finally, when playing two players, do you prefer playing with only one action card or the double variant? We've mostly been playing with the doubles, but tried singles too.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:40:11 am »

RftG has huge combo potential. I think even the base game has some combos (which are made even more killer with the expansions). Mostly, the big points are in the 6-cost developments. If you know what they are, you can collect cards for them and hope to get the development. Hopefully, an experienced opponent isn't keeping your needed cards away from you.

I really like collecting VPs chips. I love doing the Produce/Consume dance. The problem is that I rarely win with it. In the end, it's been my experience that the winner is the one who has the most points on his tableau. There are some sweet planets to collect, and a 6-cost development can easily bring in double-digit VPs when supported well. Those  little VP chips just don't keep up unless you are fortunate enough to get a really good Consume engine, and that seems harder to put together than a good 6-cost development.
A man has no signature

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:36:14 am »

Ressing this old thread because I'm really liking the game.

I've played a few games, but I've yet to be able to see great combo potentials from cards drawn together during a single game. Even with the +5 Explore I have a hard time finding planets and developments that works good together. Now, I only have the base cards, but I plan on getting the expansions.

Also, how should I try to get better at the game? Just play a lot? Try to make combos that doesn't look to good work? Consume 2xVP?

And finally, when playing two players, do you prefer playing with only one action card or the double variant? We've mostly been playing with the doubles, but tried singles too.

I found this article to be really helpful: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/295249/rftg-general-strategy-guide

Basically, Produce-Consume can be an awesome strategy if you get it going quickly. This works really well with the Brown or Blue goods. Alternatively, if you get the right cards quickly (New Sparta, Drop Ships, Space Marines) you can go after big point Rebel and Alien military worlds and end the game by filling your tableau.

The article also suggested two strategies that I hadn't thought of.
1) Develop. Get Develop phase bonuses, get more developments, get the right 6-costs and win.
2) Trade. Use consume Trade to get piles of cards from Windfall worlds, find awesome cards from there and win. Cards like Deficit spending come in handy here because you can get points for discarding cards.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 12:35:50 am »

Well, one of the most important things in Race for the Galaxy is that you have to be flexible and adapt to what strategy the cards give you.

But if the cards give you a dev-spam strategy*- lots of cheap developments, and the appropriate 6s to match, then you should take the Interstellar Credits and run.  I tend to have far more success with dev spam then I do with stuff like produce-consume or even military, and it's become my favorite route.

* This is more true when you add at least one expansion in; it's been a long time since I played base-only but it's missing a lot of the interlocking 6s you need to really make it pay off.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:31:39 pm »

I've been playing this game a little bit for a long time, but recently went a huge binge on it with after getting burnt out on Dominion.

What would you do here?

Full replay at http://en.boardgamearena.com/archive/replay/130306-1112/?table=3343087&player=914385&comments=

This was a frustrating game to lose, featuring my opponent’s play on the last turn of the game including making two 6dev’s for a pathetic 2pts each, and a production to nowhere.

I guess the key problem was missing an early dev when he got bank, my dubious production selection for my mining conglomerate getting blocked by his mining world settle, and new economy being really strong with his run-out.  He didn't get ~that~ much out of diversified – only two produces for five cards, and he only had nine VP chips at game end.  I’m sort of confused how I managed to lose.

But then, he did have for his first five plays be: a) +1 card on dev, b) +1 card on settle, and c) +cards on produce, d) +1 card on produce, e) +1 card on consume.  So, maybe I should be surprised to be that close?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.723 seconds with 20 queries.