Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42  All

Author Topic: Mafia Queue  (Read 101339 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Queue
« Reply #525 on: September 26, 2012, 12:34:40 pm »

Uhoh.  As I was falling asleep yesterday, I kept thinking of ideas that sounded interesting for a Bastard Mafia game.  Now I'd probably need help balancing things, but I'm tentatively thinking about trying to mod a game.  If anyone was interested in co-modding, maybe we could have a jam-session sometime?

Bastard games, by nature, are not balanced. We haven't had a true Bastard game in awhile. I think Frisk's was the last? Maybe Ozle's - but that wasn't really Bastard Mafia (nor was Joth's).
Both Ozle's and Joth's bastard mafias were (imo) the fun kind of bastard. There were some unusual roles and surprising twists, but the games still felt like a normal mafia game and it was possible to play them "seriously".

// it->them

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 26, 2012, 12:37:11 pm »

@eevee That's sort of what I want to go for.  Very interesting roles that are outside of the normal, some mechanics that may break the regular game, but no guarantee that they'll go off.  Others just enhance the craziness of a regular game.  Some minor balancing would be nice to make the game mildly playable.  Hence the request for setup help.  I can do all the modding by myself I think.  This wouldn't start until at least mid-October.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 26, 2012, 12:39:26 pm »

@eevee That's sort of what I want to go for.  Very interesting roles that are outside of the normal, some mechanics that may break the regular game, but no guarantee that they'll go off.  Others just enhance the craziness of a regular game.  Some minor balancing would be nice to make the game mildly playable.  Hence the request for setup help.  I can do all the modding by myself I think.  This wouldn't start until at least mid-October.
Sounds fun, in!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2012, 12:41:01 pm »

Uhoh.  As I was falling asleep yesterday, I kept thinking of ideas that sounded interesting for a Bastard Mafia game.  Now I'd probably need help balancing things, but I'm tentatively thinking about trying to mod a game.  If anyone was interested in co-modding, maybe we could have a jam-session sometime?

Bastard games, by nature, are not balanced. We haven't had a true Bastard game in awhile. I think Frisk's was the last? Maybe Ozle's - but that wasn't really Bastard Mafia (nor was Joth's).
Both Ozle's and Joth's bastard mafias were (imo) the fun kind of bastard. There were some unusual roles and surprising twists, but the games still felt like a normal mafia game and it was possible to play them "seriously".

// it->them

Which is exactly why they weren't true "Bastard" games. :P

Indeed, Ozle's was my favorite game to date - so I'm certainly not knocking them. I just think that in retrospect they can't really be considered Bastard games... They just don't exist on the same level as "every player is a SK", or "every player is a Jester", or even "You're all Cult leaders, divided into 4 Cults, GO!".

Both Ozle's and Joth's fell more under Role-Madness than Bastard. At least in both of them we had a sense that an actual Mafia game was taking place.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 26, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »

A role I've wanted to see more of even in standard games is inventor, I think that role is slick, also the inventor should be able to give out 1 shot stump devices..
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 26, 2012, 12:44:36 pm »

I'd be happy to bounce idea's off.
(Mine was more swingy than bastard I think)

"A role I've wanted to see more of even in standard games is inventor, I think that role is slick, also the inventor should be able to give out 1 shot stump devices."

Yeah, that was my favourite...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 26, 2012, 12:45:51 pm »

I love that role.

I felt like I needed to include the bastard label on account of all the lying I was going to do. But then I ended up giving town a lot of hints in terms of the arbitrary rule and the PINL so it wasn't as bad as initially conceived.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 26, 2012, 12:49:32 pm »

I love that role.

I felt like I needed to include the bastard label on account of all the lying I was going to do. But then I ended up giving town a lot of hints in terms of the arbitrary rule and the PINL so it wasn't as bad as initially conceived.

IT WAS HORRIBLE, you screwed the mafia! :P
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:06 pm »

Tell that to me and ftl, a scum team in BMV with no night kill!!!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 26, 2012, 01:12:55 pm »

Psh, the day bus was OP until Jo nerfed it. Not my fault our mod felt bad for town destroying itself.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 26, 2012, 01:15:18 pm »

Psh, the day bus was OP until Jo nerfed it. Not my fault our mod felt bad for town destroying itself.

Jo didn't nerf the day bus? FTL died because I caught him in a lie.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 26, 2012, 02:13:30 pm »

The daybus was not OP. It never protected anyone on my team, and got Robz killed (when I bussed him with an obvtown to protect him, and obvtown turned into obvscum overnight forcing him to reveal the daybus). Our team would have done better had I never used the daybus in the first place and if I'd played as straight VT. It was fun, but not particularly good.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 26, 2012, 02:28:47 pm »

The daybus was not OP. It never protected anyone on my team, and got Robz killed (when I bussed him with an obvtown to protect him, and obvtown turned into obvscum overnight forcing him to reveal the daybus). Our team would have done better had I never used the daybus in the first place and if I'd played as straight VT. It was fun, but not particularly good.

He did reveal a daybus but not the fact that you had it, I picked you to posses because I didn't know anything about you.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 26, 2012, 02:45:55 pm »

No, I totally nerfed it when I gave it to theorel. I think that was the lesser of two evils, because if I hadn't it would have been a really infuriating endgame.

If I ever use it again, it will NOT have a "no using it on you or your partner" restriction, but it WILL have a "no using it on the same target two consecutive days" restriction.

Also a big thing about the daybus that was supposed to weaken it is that you had to declare the targets before the day start, which involves a certain amount of tricky prediction.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 26, 2012, 02:56:41 pm »

Indeed, Ozle's was my favorite game to date - so I'm certainly not knocking them. I just think that in retrospect they can't really be considered Bastard games... They just don't exist on the same level as "every player is a SK", or "every player is a Jester", or even "You're all Cult leaders, divided into 4 Cults, GO!".

Ah, fond memories.

Is that the only finished game to date that (1) included Cults, yet (2) did not involve a Cult win?  [Due to the supremely bastard nature of the non-Cult roles, of course]

* edited to say "involve a Cult win" rather than "end in a Cult win."  eHalc's role madness didn't end in a Cult win, but certainly involved one.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:57:47 pm by Voltgloss »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: September 26, 2012, 03:49:07 pm »

Ah, fond memories.

Is that the only finished game to date that (1) included Cults, yet (2) did not involve a Cult win?  [Due to the supremely bastard nature of the non-Cult roles, of course]

* edited to say "involve a Cult win" rather than "end in a Cult win."  eHalc's role madness didn't end in a Cult win, but certainly involved one.

Have other games had cults in them?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 26, 2012, 03:51:48 pm »

Ah, fond memories.

RMM2 ended in the serial killer cult winning.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 26, 2012, 03:55:09 pm »

Ah, fond memories.

RMM2 ended in the serial killer cult winning.

Oh right.

I can't even count that because they had a kill AND recruits kept all their powers.  Way unbalanced.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 26, 2012, 07:13:52 pm »

hey guys, where are all the signups? RobzMafia is in night
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 26, 2012, 07:19:54 pm »

Haha. +1

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 26, 2012, 07:21:02 pm »

Haha. +1

Everyone's waiting to see if they get killed.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 26, 2012, 10:50:30 pm »

or how many kills there are, i'm hoping 13+ :)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43:48 am »

or how many kills there are, i'm hoping 13+ :)

ObvSK.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 27, 2012, 12:03:49 pm »

One shot Lynch?

Has anyone ever tried a game with 1 shot. So 3 people, 1 of you is Mafia. Day 1. Go! Obviously you have to get the lynch right first day or its game over
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 27, 2012, 12:18:32 pm »

Only three games ongoing, when are the sign ups for the next one coming up? Wafflemafia and Robzmafia are close to night-phase too, I think it would be good to start gathering people for the next one soon if not now, especially seeing how ZM3 failed to launch.

When night phases start people will re-in for ZM3

I will, and it will be a mistake.

Nonsense if I had have started ZM3 today it'd be over before Robz game leaves night.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42  All

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 20 queries.