Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 5-player game we played last night  (Read 1936 times)

meshuggah42

• Salvager
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
5-player game we played last night
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »

Hi everyone!

We got together last night with some friends and after a couple of Dixit matches we turned to our favourite card game. :)

We played two matches, the first was horrible to me because the setup had no +action cards and it had mountebank, which I really hate when used against me, but then again, who doesn't. :) Luckily Venture was on the table too, so after 45 minutes we were able to end this nightmare.

The second game was a bit more interesting. The favoured features of it were Colony, Fishing Village, King's Court, Jester. As probably everyone knows, any good attack card becomes devastating in games with increased amount of players, but this time Jester was pure insanity. The only +action card was Fishing Village, so everyone had a hard time with colliding terminals. Then one of my friends dropped the atomic bomb on us: Fishing village (from previous turn), Jester, King's Court -> Jester. With no money in hand she was still able to buy a Platinum, but before that... well, let's just say she kicked our asses hard: I myself turned up 2 greens, a Copper and a Platinum, gaining 2 Curses and a Copper, the other players turned up even worse sometimes, so in the end she distributed 9 Curses, 2 Coppers, while gaining 2 Platinums, 2 King's Courts and a Gold. The game ended a few turns later with 4 empty piles (Fish, King, Curse, Platinum) with the aforementioned player victorious.

I play a lot with this game, but this match I won't ever forget, I think. :)

Regards!

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
Re: 5-player game we played last night
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:02:55 pm »

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:56 pm »

...the first was horrible to me because the setup had no +action cards and it had mountebank, which I really hate when used against me, but then again, who doesn't. :) Luckily Venture was on the table too, so after 45 minutes we were able to end this nightmare.
Venture isn't great with Mountebank since it finds Coppers too often.  I also found the same issue when Jester is on the table.  In a multi-player IRL game where I had some great Jester action, I then loaded up on 3 Ventures.  Since opposing Jesters were giving me Coppers, the Ventures fell flat.  That was a learning experience in getting out ahead and then epic-failing.  (Though speaking of IRL epic failures, just yesterday in an IRL game, my Sea Hag discarded an opposing 5/2-start purchased Mountebank and I still managed to lose that one since I didn't hop on the Bishop'ing Peddler bandwagon - I thought Peddler without +buy wasn't worth it but I was wrong).

meshuggah42

• Salvager
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:23:14 pm »

I know, that Venture+Mountebank is bad, but at that given situation I preferred to buy treasures instead of a terminal, because there were no +action cards and no trashing cards available and I didn't want my terminals to collide, ending up dead. Plus Venture let me scroll through the deck full with useless crap. I achieved a 2nd place that game, which isn't that bad in 5p. :)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »

Terminal collision shouldn't have been much of an issue with a deck so bloated by coppers and curses, and you actually aren't scrolling through the deck of useless crap - you're mostly scrolling TO useless crap, copper, and skipping past any actions you might have wanted to play, along with those curses. All in all,  the cycling effect of venture is pretty minimal in the long run.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.