Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: sea hag games are boring  (Read 1893 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
sea hag games are boring
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:14:46 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-200115-55c74cd2.html
Boring sea hag game where both our decks are really clogged up. Most of the game was spent buying hamlets and courtyards since I couldn't afford anything more than 2. I was really unlucky to draw my gold at the very end of the reshuffle, but other than that what should I have done differently. Also, should you ever buy copper in these situations? Long term your deck will probably be able to produce more than 5 per turn, but in the short term copper increases your money density.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: sea hag games are boring
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:38:40 pm »

Ouch, you had Sea Hag played on you twice before your first reshuffle.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:43:33 pm »

I don't think Sea Hag games are boring... Sea Hag forces the game to be long, which gives you a lot of opportunity to try out interesting things in non-ideal situations. Here I'd probably open Sea Hag/Steward to try to trash down as much as possible and then re-fill on Silvers with an Explorer, so I actually have a shot at buying Provinces.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:38:53 am »

That game looks painful. Steward seems like the way to go here. I cant believe that with Steward and Sea Hag on the same board there was only one Curse in the trash. Huh.

About the Copper question, looking at the shape your deck was in, I think Copper would have been good here. I mean, mainly all the actions whose slots you would be taking up are just cantrips, Courtyards, and empty Sea Hags.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:37:15 am »

You started scheme/sea hag, ok and then bought another scheme and courtyard on turns 3 and 4. The schemes just pushed the sea hag over the courtyard so a hamlet or copper might have been a better buy there. Silver/steward instead of second scheme was  possible. Discarding cards for extra buys with the hamlet then buying coppers would have helped too as you were only going to use them to buy out three cheap supply piles.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:38:29 am by DG »

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:17:36 am »

Hamlet + Courtyard is not a viable drawing engine. The Hamlet makes you discard for the second +Action, and Courtyard only net draws 2 cards. In terms of raw hand size, this combo is worse than Moat without villages.

What could have been viable would be to use the Hamlet's +Buy to flood your deck with Copper and race for green.

Courtyard is probably not going to shine here. It's great in massaging your deck when you need to smooth out your money curve (drew $9? put back a Copper. drew $10? Put the Silver back), but in this case you just need money, period.

I think the best strategy is going to supplement your Hag with Steward trashing, an Explorer if you can hit $5 a shuffle before you need to start greening, and a Haggler to gain extra Silvers/Coppers off of your buys.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.