Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  All

Author Topic: I will try to post a game here every day.  (Read 121951 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: I will try to post a game here every day.
« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2013, 12:53:41 pm »
+1

Actually, there are two decent Silver gainers on that board.  gman has already mentioned one, though he dismissed it somewhat -- Contraband.  You probably only want one or two, but the thing to note is that there is no effective ban against you.  Can't buy Silver?  Get Feodum.  Can't get Feodum?  Silver instead!

The other nice Silver gainer is Horn of Plenty.  You only need two cards other than HoP to gain a Silver with it, and HoP is a treasure so it's non-terminal.  Pretty sweet.

I would say Candlestick Maker > Pawn in this case.  You get more out of it than Pawn; Pawn is only better for the option to draw a card, which you probably won't use a lot anyway.  But CM has decent synergy with Contraband.  CM's coin tokens make Contraband even harder to counter because Contraband loves flexibility, especially with the +Buy.  Not to mention that CM is a nice cheap card to buy anyway, if other cards have been banned.

I would probably pick up 1 Contraband ASAP then HoPs on $5+ after.  Every $2 would be a CM.  Other than that, Silvers and Feoda.  If I ever hit $5+ value on HoP, I would pick up a second CB and maybe a Counterfeit if it's early enough (clear out a few Coppers to play the gainers more often; but if I'm already a bit full up on Silver then I would forget it).  But other than that, I would just have HoP gain Silver like mad.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 20, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »

Wow. I can't believe I missed HoP as a gainer. Wow. I guess I just thought "It's yellow, it doesn't count!"

I agree with your Feodum approach, but I'm still not sure if it beats the BM approach.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 24, 2018, 11:22:36 am »
+1

I think it might be time to bring this guy back!  What's the current best way to post a log?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #253 on: March 24, 2018, 12:00:58 pm »

I think it might be time to bring this guy back!  What's the current best way to post a log?

Posting the game number that people can then load on ShiT to see the log.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2018, 03:12:24 pm »
+2

Check out tailred's Woodcutter. It's still a bit buggy, but much better than posting game numbers.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2018, 07:01:14 pm »

So like http://ceviri.me/woodcutter/12943691/display/ ?  I don't really understand what I'm looking at but I was there for the game so I guess that's fine.

Board: Hound, Peasant, Smason, Oasis, Shanty, Diplo, Monument, Trader, Cache, RSeal; Colony, Raid, Palace
I went for: Oasis/Diplo/Shanty/Soldier

With Palace, Trader, Raid, and Cache on the board, I thought that there was probably a good treasure-based strat to be had....but since it was a Colony board, I decided to forgo it.  My initial idea was to use Oasis to fuel Shanty/Diplo, and then chain some Soldiers for payload.  I didn't ever really get enough Soldiers to make that work, but the engine let me skip a bit of treasuring.  I'm trying to work on skipping treasure and "stop cards" more often, and in this game I also wanted to teach myself not to mindlessly exchange Travellers every time. (until now, I'd just go for one Teacher/Champion and a bunch of Disciple/Hero)  I found myself wanting +Buy, and I misplayed a couple times, paying a bunch for a Peasant because I thought I had an extra buy, and accidentally getting a second Fugitive.  Worked out well though in the end- I think it would've done decently against a human.

My questions:
-What stages of Peasant do you usually push?
-How many Soldiers did I want?  Did I want Fugitive instead?
-Should I have gone for the Palace strat?  Would it have been better in a Province game?
-What do you do with Teacher tokens here?
-Is that how the logs are supposed to look, and if so how do all the graphs and stuff work?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2018, 12:26:08 am »
+2

+Action on Hounds gives you draw for an engine there, and then you can put +Card on Oasis / Shanty Town and +Buy on something (Monument?). That shouldn't take too long to get set up, and then you can try and play a bunch of Monuments every turn. Stonemason and Trader aren't great thinning, but you can get an early Trader to make Estates into something and you'll just naturally end up with the Stonemasons to work on Coppers anyway. Colony buys you lots of time to set up, as you just don't contest the Provinces if they go for those for some reason. Eventually you buy some Colonies, and your Monument scoring forms your margin.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2018, 10:04:11 am »

http://ceviri.me/woodcutter/12975020/display/

Kingdom: Haven, Scrying Pool, Ghost Town, Lookout, Bridge, Procession, Salvager, Bazaar, Crown, Knights
I went for: literally everything

I still don't think those logs show up right for me but as long as y'all can see them then I guess we're okay.  This was a weird board where I thought everything would be good to have, in some fashion or another.  Scrying Pool as the main draw, Knights and Bridge as payload, Salvager and Lookout as thinning, Ghost Town and later Bazaar for +Action, Crown and Procession for flexibility, and Haven just if I had an extra 2 buy at some point (I never did).  I found myself wanting +Action more than Knights, so those never quite took off.  My Lookout got trashed early on and I didn't notice until we were past the point where I really wanted one.  I surprised myself by how early I was able to play my deck, at which point I tried to grab extra Bridges to finish.  Procession wasn't as good here as I'd hoped- I never got a 2, there weren't 6s, and I didn't want to Process a Knight.  Still, we got through the chaos pretty reasonable, and won.

My questions:
-How much does it matter to you which Knight is available?  I might've gone for them harder if Josephine hadn't been on top for so long.
-If you run SP/Knights, do you want to discard your opponent's good stuff, or try to find Knights targets?
-What would even be the good strat in this mess?  I don't think the optimal strategy is very often "a bit of everything," but it might be here? 
-What's your opening?  I didn't think about trying to spike a 3/5 with Ghost Town.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:27 am »
+2

The main important thing on this board is to pull off the Bridge megaturn. Your deck should be built to accomodate that. Knights are likely too slow to compete, as a Bridge engine can grab a lot of components to compensate for the ones trashed by Knights.

I think it is best to delay the potions for quicker trashing. Open Lookout/Salvager, getting Potion and Bridge next. Maybe you want to add a Silver for economy here depending on your draws. Then build towards the megaturn: 3 Crowns and 4 Bridges are enough to pull it off, if your opponent does the Knights deck you might get some more. You don't really need Bazaars, Crowns are better. Ghost Town is pretty bad here since Scrying Pool can't pick it up, but if you have the components for the megaturn, you can spam Ghost Towns to ensure that you can fire.

For the other questions:
- which Knight is on top generally matters a lot, because if you get the bad Knight, you might give your opponent a good oe to buy. Thus, only get the bad Knight if either you can gain another Knight on the same turn or you know that your opponent won't be able to gain a Knight on their turn.
- you want to find Knight targets. You want to play your Knight as soon as you have hit a good Knight target and then continue to put bad stuff on top, unless you have another Knight, in which case you hunt for the next target.
- see above.
- see above. Spiking $5 doesn't matter unless there's Dame Anna on top... then consider it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:02:49 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 26, 2018, 11:45:01 am »
+1

Board: Hound, Peasant, Smason, Oasis, Shanty, Diplo, Monument, Trader, Cache, RSeal; Colony, Raid, Palace
I went for: Oasis/Diplo/Shanty/Soldier

My questions:
-What stages of Peasant do you usually push?
-How many Soldiers did I want?  Did I want Fugitive instead?
-Should I have gone for the Palace strat?  Would it have been better in a Province game?
-What do you do with Teacher tokens here?
-Is that how the logs are supposed to look, and if so how do all the graphs and stuff work?

- I think that oasis/shanty/diplo thing is a lot of work and needs careful play but should give good deck development. Getting the deck balance right is going to be more important than blindly pushing peasants at times, particuarly if you're thinking of adding 3 terminals with stonemason/peasant. Preferably, teacher and as many disciples as you can squeeze out here.
- Soldiers generally fit with other attack cards and the exceptions would be in better engines than this one. Considering diplomat, keep no soldiers.
- Palace isn't anything here as an engine player can beat it with monument points. In an engine mirror the monument comes into play for a late lead before a 3 pile ending.
- I don't think there's a single right answer to the tokens here. With a stonemason you can trash an action card into two smaller ones and instantly create a different type of deck.
- Having said all that, it's hard to pick out what an opponent will do and this will need some adversarial play. The game could run short or long (if nobody builds with many masons).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:10:05 pm by DG »

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2018, 12:50:16 pm »

Boy I picked a bad time to resurrect this project.  Also, the extension did not load the log properly, but it's game 13430092.

Kingdom: Hamlet, Black Market, Oasis, Scheme, Workshop, Salvager, Villa, Archive, Governor, Peddler; Ferry, Colony
I went for: Governor, Peddler/TfB, Black Market

This was a bot game (about half my games are less-than-super-serious bot games with BM, Colony, and >1 Landmark all required) but an interesting board.  I got BlMa, Ferried the Governors, and did fun engine things with Peddler, Hamlet, and 4s.  Nothing life-changing came out of the BM.  I spaced out more than I should have on greening, but was able to save the win with a decent megaturn at the end.

-This board was too fast for Black Market, wasn't it?
-Is Peddler a good counter (by remodeling to Plat) to Governor here/in general?  If so, does that change how hard you go for Governor or what modes you use when?
-All the Governor options seemed good at various points- I don't often take the Gold but it seemed like a decent attack towards the end when I was playing catchup.  What do you use here?  Should I have started remodeling Gold/Plat into Province/Colony before the last turn?
-Ferry on Governor was a good move, right?  But I probably should've gotten a Workshop?  I usually ignore Ferry, and Workshop too for that matter.
-I also skipped Scheme, Oasis, and Archive.  Were those worth a buy at some point? (probably at least a Scheme instead of that BM, right?)
-I think Rattington always goes for Provinces in Colony games, and I frequently struggle to catch up with his pace.  Is Province a more frequently viable route than I'm realizing, or am I just having too much fun playing with engines?

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2018, 01:23:21 pm »
+2

Ferry + Governor is such a strong synergy; I wouldn't bother with Black Market on that board.  However, if Black Market reveals a handsize attack it could definitely pay off, so it isn't unreasonable.  I would probably open with Salvager + Ferry on Governor.  I want to get the trashing started quickly; the fewer starting cards in my deck, the fewer Governors need to be used for draw.  I also like Salvager to help pick up Peddlers in the midgame, and to trash Peddlers in the lategame.  But, mostly, I'll be gaining as many Governors as I can.  Workshop probably won't pay off, but I'm not sure; Villa makes it more attractive.  Peddlers aren't really a counter to Governor, because you shouldn't be using Governor for Remodel in the early game here; it's already too risky because it might let your opponent turn an Estate into a Governor (with Ferry).  My early plays with Governor would be draw (to see Salvager), and Gold gain.  Once Governors run out, it's reasonable to turn a Silver or two (from your opponent's Governors) into Archives, I think.

I'm not sure what the best greening strategy is; probably a hybrid of Provinces and Colonies.  Governor is much more efficient at gaining Provinces than Colonies, but Salvaging Peddlers should provide the coin to spike some Colonies.  I think this game could easily end on three piles: Governor, Peddler, and Villa.  With Ferry on Villa, they only cost 1 net coin, so it's easy to pile them if you find yourself in the lead with two piles empty.  Speaking of Villas, it's probably correct to get 1-2 in the midgame (when it doesn't cost you a Governor gain) so you can buy more Peddlers on future turns.  So, maybe the Workshop pays off?  But it's hard to fit it into the build.  Oasis and Scheme don't seem valuable on this board.  You might pick up a Hamlet or two with a spare $2, and you can use it to get an additional Peddler.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 09, 2018, 03:17:44 pm »

I re-ran that board with that strat, and it did quite nicely!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.