Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: wharf engine with curser  (Read 1758 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
wharf engine with curser
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:41:49 pm »

Games where you have to transition from cursing to engine are really interesting.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/03/game-20120703-183030-84473f90.html
They lead to interesting decisions. Like in this game I open silver/silver even though normally smithy would be better for the engine, since I don't want to draw mountebank with the smithy.
One thing witch I think was definitely a mistake on my part was buying a late duchy instead of a province, was thinking bout dukes...
What other mistakes do you think I made here? Also how do you approach these types of games in general?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
Re: wharf engine with curser
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 11:11:34 pm »

You really shouldn't have let your mountebank miss the shuffle on turn 7.  I probably would have gotten a 2nd MB in favor of the wharf.

This game looks closer than it was because your opponent mercifully ended it on piles.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 11:23:49 pm »

I like witch better than MB in this game. I'm probably wrong.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 11:27:10 pm »

I am wrong. Didn't see vineyard. Ignore.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:28:35 pm »

Am I missing something?  I don't see witch in this game log.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:43:07 pm »
+1

A few thoughts...
The biggest thing that stands out is that he won the city war.  That means he is at an advantage in a long game.  You also know that curses will likely run out, triggering L2 cities.  You need to decide whether to contest cities or not, and stick to it.  Notice how he buys cities first, then wharves, while you mix wharves and cities.  If you weakly contest cities, like you did, you end up in the worst of both worlds.  You're spending your early $5s on villages, and late game, he'll get much more benefit than you will from them.  You either need to match him city buy for buy, or ignore them completely.  You buying 3 cities helps him activate that much sooner.
Next, you know he will have fully activated cities, since cities were bought out, and curses will run out.  So you don't want a long game.  The longer the game goes, the worse it is for you.  Ideally you finish it before curses run out.  So, I don't like the double wharf buy on T14.  You're building an engine when you know he's got you beat in engine quality.
The other thing to consider is the ease of 3 piling.  L3 cities are a huge boon for 3 piling, especially with peddler.  That should have set off warning bells.  If your opponent can 3 pile, you need to build up a VP lead.  That way he spends his time trying to catch up and reduces what he can spend 3 piling.
Double Mountebank is very strong.  On this board, I would probably always buy 2 of them.
About engines.  It is very hard to build an engine with mountebank on the board and no trashing.  And if you're not building an engine, I wouldn't bother with city.  You will get filled up with curses and coppers.  Make him spend 10 turns paying $5 for village, open with 2 mountebanks, buy a couple wharfs once your deck is bigger, and I think you're golden.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:04:53 pm »

Your opponent opened with a smithy and it does seem, in hindsight, a good move. It gave him more value from the early city purchases and opened up some peddler possibilities. Silver/silver into mountebanks isn't bad but perhaps the faster drawing of a smithy suits this city/wharf/peddler/vineyard kingdom.

Early duchies would be good here for your deck. The cities might result in an early 3 pile finish so you need to be ahead on points. Duchies would be a good pile to empty against a city player who is emptying two others.  If the game extends then there's still dukes to play for, even though they might come out second best to vineyards.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »
+1

Am I missing something?  I don't see witch in this game log.

OK, you probably win this argument.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.