Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: NE US ppl: anyone going to DexCon?  (Read 3607 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
NE US ppl: anyone going to DexCon?
« on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:10 pm »
+1

Anyone going to DexCon?

I'm going to be playing in the dominion tournament, and i was wondering if anyone else was gonna be there as well?  http://www.dexposure.com/home.html  It's in Morristown NJ, more info at link.  The prize is a $100  to buy games at the con.

Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: NE US ppl: anyone going to DexCon?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:39:06 pm »

Have you gone to one before?  It's July 4th to 8th for those of you who are interested (might want to edit that into the OP).  In the events page, LARP is listed higher than board games, which makes me skeptical of the quality.  But of course, you can vouch for it.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:21:47 am »

I mean...I'm tempted to go, but that's a lot of money and a lot of driving (for a DC native) just to get in on a Dominion tournament (and hopefully a Set tournament, as well). Maybe if I am feeling especially motivated I'll try, and I'll grab a friend, too. But yeah, it doesn't look too board-game focused.

Unrelated: I actually am the tits at Set. I've never encountered a worthy opponent and if I remember correctly, I hold the top time for setgame.com's daily puzzle. Though, to be fair, I repeated the day's puzzle over and over until I hit ~12 seconds. I still do the daily puzzle and am curious if there are any other Set players out there.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:35:15 am »

Unrelated: I actually am the tits at Set. I've never encountered a worthy opponent and if I remember correctly, I hold the top time for setgame.com's daily puzzle. Though, to be fair, I repeated the day's puzzle over and over until I hit ~12 seconds. I still do the daily puzzle and am curious if there are any other Set players out there.
I love Set! (Not going to this event though.) I've written a version where you can play through a deck solo on a computer, iPhone, or iPad, using QWER ASDF ZXCV as keyboard shortcuts. I'd estimate "good" is probably sub-3-minute times to complete a deck. If you're interested, I'll PM it (since it's on my personal website so my full name is there).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:43:40 am »

Why not link to iTunes store link?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:46:48 am »
+1

If it works on pc / ipad / iphone, I'm guessing its a web app - not a native app.

Also - arern't we all #boycottapple?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:09:26 am »
+1

If it works on pc / ipad / iphone, I'm guessing its a web app - not a native app.

Also - arern't we all #boycottapple?

Yes, it's a web app. There's an official app in the iTunes Store but it's worse for my purposes. :P I don't plan to make mine public because I don't want to take away their business. I'll send the link to most anyone who is interested, but (a) I don't think most people are interested and (b) I'd rather not make my full name quite so googleable.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:10:51 am by blueblimp »

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:23:11 pm »
+1

I have been before.  For Dominion, the level of play varies; some people are strong and others not so much.  I played in round 1 last night and was able to win.   To get a sense of it: the kingdom had lighthouse, fishing village, woodcutter, militia, moneylender, council room, tactician, mine, and bazaar; i was the only player at my table to go for double-tactician and the only who made use of CR/militia.  Two of the players failed to get enough lighthouses to stop the CR/militia combo. 

As for the con itself, there are lots of board games in addition to tabletop RPG (mainstream and indie) and LARP.  It's not "focused" on board games - it's very diversified - but if board gaming is your thing, there will generally be ~10 games going at once at any given time (see schedule http://www.dexposure.com/d15board.html ), including several tournaments with $100 prizes redeemable at the "dealer's room" (which is mainly board game vendors).

I'm there to play Dominion and indie RPGs.  My wife is running some Nordic-style "art-larp" - she's one of like 2 GMs in this country who does so.  Also, so long as I'm promoting my awesome wife, she wrote a narrative non-fiction book on LARP published by Chicago Review Press: http://lizziestark.com/leaving-mundania/ (see blurb by Tracy Hickman)

If anyone is coming i'd love to meet up for some gaming.  There is at least one complete set of Dominion in the board games room (including promos).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:34:59 pm by flies »
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.

flies

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 01:38:19 pm »

Also, I am much better at Set than everyone I know.  I don't play at all regularly, so I'd probably lose to a seasoned expert such as Young Nick ;D

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 02:04:58 am »

Also, I am much better at Set than everyone I know.  I don't play at all regularly, so I'd probably lose to a seasoned expert such as Young Nick ;D

There's only one way to find out...

I challenge thou to a duel!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 20 queries.