Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When is Governor too slow?  (Read 1325 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
When is Governor too slow?
« on: July 01, 2012, 10:05:11 am »

I figured Governor here was the obvious choice, especially opening 5/2, but my opponent just used Hamlet/Watchtower and all the Silvers I was giving him to cruise past me.  What's the right strategy?

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/01/game-20120701-070236-f305fb0a.html

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: When is Governor too slow?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:36:08 pm »

On turn three you needed to buy something other than a silver. That's the card that is too slow for this type of deck. Your opponent opened lookout/hamlet and this cycled the deck rapidly and opened the way for peddlers. It gave him very little short term spending but that clearly wasn't important.

You could have taken hamlet, watchtower, village, or even a (second) lookout on turn 3. You could also perhaps have played your governor more for cards looking for big turns with multiple buys and border villages giving you more governors. Once the decks draws well you can add gold for the finish.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:06:51 pm »

Also worth noting is that you very nearly had it. From the log, we can't see what you put back on the deck from your Lookout on T12. But if, instead of gaining Gold with that first Governor, you had drawn 3 cards, you would have been able to buy a Province and win the game if you managed to draw the Gold that was otherwise in your next hand.

I disagree that Lookout would have been a good card for you; it helps your opponent's Watchtower/Hamlet/Peddler nicely, but doesn't contribute as much to your Governor-based deck. I think I like double-Hamlet on that turn; later on, a Governor for cards and pair of Hamlets can let you pick up two or three Peddlers plus another Governor or whatever.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:41:52 pm »
+1

With a governor deck there is almost no reason to buy silver outside of the early game. Also, normally you try to avoid the +cards option, but against a Draw to X engine, the +cards gives much less benefit to your opponent. He was likely going to draw that card anyway.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.654 seconds with 20 queries.