Dominion > Game Reports

A game you're proud of, and a game you're not.

(1/4) > >>

HockeyHippo:
Here are two games, both against highly ranked players Blooki and mikemike. One of them I play well. The other I start out well, but it does not end well.

Against Blooki:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110712-224145-ec7b7db1.html
His superior deck thinning creates a devastating engine that I'm just not used to seeing, at that time I had not played seaside that much.

Against mikemike:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110705-224447-e6cc7d50.html
Buying Labs instead of Cities early is the deciding factor in this one I believe.

Both pretty interesting games I think. I encourage others to post in the same format, a game you're proud of and a game where you can see a mistake that really blew you out of the water.

tko:

--- Quote from: HockeyHippo on July 19, 2011, 12:39:40 pm ---Against Blooki:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110712-224145-ec7b7db1.html
His superior deck thinning creates a devastating engine that I'm just not used to seeing, at that time I had not played seaside that much.

--- End quote ---
What amazes me in this game is I look at the kingdom and my first instinct is that Outpost looks bad where you could draw Remake or King's Court dead.  Though in the actual game, Blooki's Outpost turns are amazing.  What I didn't originally notice in the kingdom is how Caravan acts as enabler for Outpost.

ARTjoMS:
If he is higher ranked than you doesn't mean he knows what he is doing. Quarry-silver opening without +buys or fast trashing? Not that you would want fast KC without trashing or many action cards in your deck (especially duration cards that are probably already in play from last turn). Not that it would be critical to get torturers or upgrades by all means, there are nice 4-costing cards caravans that will improve your deck. Remember that quarry is only $1 better than silver as to buying action cards. Getting your deck trimmed ASAP is however critical this time, and while he wakes up buying late remake you never wake up.

In your second game quarry-silver opening is way more reasonable, not only there are cards that give you +buys, but also cards like grand market, laboratory, city and especially forge, that will let you catch up in deck trimming just in case opponent opens remake silver. I agree that buying cities is a bad move from your opponent and your lucky turn 7 pretty much finishes game. Although there is grand market i wouldn't bother with vault, there are other ways how to get your first grand market. One GM won't do that much for your deck (unless you get lucky like in turn 7), if deck is not trimmed. I would just go for pure laboratories then forge to get your 1st GM.

HockeyHippo:

--- Quote from: ARTjoMS on July 19, 2011, 05:13:40 pm ---If he is higher ranked than you doesn't mean he knows what he is doing. Quarry-silver opening without +buys or fast trashing? Not that you would want fast KC without trashing or many action cards in your deck (especially duration cards that are probably already in play from last turn). Not that it would be critical to get torturers or upgrades by all means, there are nice 4-costing cards caravans that will improve your deck. Remember that quarry is only $1 better than silver as to buying action cards.

--- End quote ---

With all of the powerful action cards in this Kingdom I think we wanted to ensure we had strong buying power in turns 3-5. I believe that's what prompted the Quarry buy. I would love to replay this game and try out Remake/Silver, see how much the extra thinning paid off in the end.

--- Quote ---Getting your deck trimmed ASAP is however critical this time, and while he wakes up buying late remake you never wake up.

--- End quote ---

I did actually get a Remake (turn 5) but never went into Upgrades, which I feel, was my biggest mistake.

Graystripe77:
A game i'm proud of:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110726-144956-173f9db2.html

I had a 5/2 opening, but managed to take an early lead.  This player was relatively new, so it's not particularly impressive, but i enjoyed it.

I'll post a game i'm not proud of soon....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version