Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Complete list of Things that are better than Isotropic  (Read 10703 times)

Autumn

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Complete list of Things that are better than Isotropic
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 07:10:36 pm »
+2

I can't understand why anyone would want to play a good board game or card game on the computer instead of in real life O.o One of the major appeals of tabletop stuffs to me is the tactile aspect: in Dominion's case picking up cards when you buy them, putting down cards to make action trees when playing actions in an engine, picking up victory point tokens or trade route tokens for the mats, seeing and feeling your deck grow as the game progresses. All of that is just SO much more satisfying than clicking on some screen with a mouse. Similarly there's actually tension when using cards like Golem because the results aren't instantaneous: you have to reveal cards from your deck one at a time, whereas on isotropic you get shown the results of the Golem instantly which is nowhere near as fun as cycling through your deck one card at a time wondering what will be next, hoping you'll hit that Torturer or dodge that Bishop.

The only reasons I play on isotropic are for the challenge, because I don't own all the expansions and because I can't play often enough in real life due to others not being as interested in tabletop stuff as I am. But in every other possible way I can think of real life Dominion is preferable to isotropic (well, except Philosopher's Stone :P ).

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 07:15:37 pm »
+2

Based on my experience, one hour IRL is enough time to play 1-3 games of Dominion (most commonly 2).

One hour on Isotropic is enough to play as many as 7-15 games of Dominion.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 07:53:59 pm »
+1

would something like "every time you buy a treasure card, you have to take a drink" work? you know, to encourage more engine-y type strategy.

I imagine that would encourage simple BM.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 08:46:33 pm »

would something like "every time you buy a treasure card, you have to take a drink" work? you know, to encourage more engine-y type strategy.

Not after a couple of games. I would assume playing bm+x would be quite easy slightly buzzed but buying reasonable stuff for an elaborate engine is hard enough sober..

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 09:18:42 pm »

Not after a couple of games. I would assume playing bm+x would be quite easy slightly buzzed but buying reasonable stuff for an elaborate engine is hard enough sober..

Not BM+X.  Just BM. ;)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 01:53:19 am »
+1

Better yet, build a Goons engine then buy a big pile of Coppers
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 20 queries.