Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kombo: Golem + Oasis + 2 Terminals  (Read 2049 times)

Lhurgoyf

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
Kombo: Golem + Oasis + 2 Terminals
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:20:35 pm »

Hi, I have just had a fun game with this combo.

The 2 Terminals were Monument, which is extra cool.

1.) What your Deck looks like (which actions you buy is very important in Golem-Decks):
- 1 (one) Oasis
- 2 (two) of your favourite Terminal actions (better a better effect than draw. +$ is preferred. Could also be an attack).
- as many Golems as you can get
- rest big money, maybe skip Silver midgame.
- maybe one Potion ;-)

2.) How to play this combo:

When you have Golem + Oasis + one of the other actions in hand, you can play Oasis first and discard the other action. Then your Golem will find two Actions.
When you have Golem + one of the other actions on hand, play Golem and the Oasis will give you +1 Action to play it afterwards.
When you have only Golem in hand, you get to play 2 of your 3 action cards.

Hm, it looked more impressive ingame than now that I write it down for the forum. It actually is a little Golem-Combo inside a BM-deck. Well the benefits is that you have minimum collision (only when both terminals collide) and you get to play them often. It helped against my Possessioning opponent (he gave me points by playing the Monuments). And some don't know that they have to discard the other action with the Oasis before playing Golem.

Here is the gamelog:  http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/28/game-20120628-125434-bdc58f38.html

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Kombo: Golem + Oasis + 2 Terminals
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:10:08 pm »

So the idea of the Oasis is protection against Golem colliding with something it's supposed to draw?  It's definitely frustrating when that happens, but the thing is that adding action cards to guard against that also mean Golem will often find those instead of what you wanted in the first place.  If you buy a third Monument instead (to use your example), that in itself would be protection against collisions, because if you draw your Golem with one Monument, there are still two more to chase down.  This is probably more likely than drawing Golem, a Monument, AND an Oasis in the same turn, though of course it depends.

But I get what you're saying, and it IS sometimes useful to have non-terminals for Golem to pick up, especially if there are no Villages.

Seems like your idea would also work with Warehouse, Cellar, or Hamlet filling the Oasis spot.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:13:29 pm »

It's cute that it provides some protection against Golems fizzling.  It's not failsafe though: you're in trouble if you draw 2 terminals with the Oasis.  You also have to weigh up the cost of the times Golem finds an Oasis when it could have found one of your terminals.  On balance I think I'd prefer to just load up on terminals and Golem.

In this particular game, Monument is a good counter to Possession.  Mostly though this games seems to be an example of when not to bother with Possession: it might work if you could load up on both Golem and Possession, but that's a very expensive proposition indeed.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:56:08 am »

... I don't think I understand why multiple Golems are helpful vs. just one here when you aren't trying to build some kind of megaturn engine.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:57:10 am »

... I don't think I understand why multiple Golems are helpful vs. just one here when you aren't trying to build some kind of megaturn engine.
You're more likely to draw the golem in any given hand, for one thing...

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:15:10 pm »

If you want to play two terminals reliably every turn, loading up on Golems just means that you can do that more often.  Colliding Golems doesn't really matter, since the key cards aren't in your hand to begin with, so space in your hand isn't as valuable as usual.   Golem/Counting House is a great example (although it's a strategy that is more fun than strictly optimal).  You buy a single Counting House, load up on Golems, and buy no other actions at all.  Add a Copper to your deck when convenient, and every play of a Golem (without the Counting House in hand) is a Province, regardless of what the rest of your hand is.  You don't care about collisions, only having a Golem, so you buy as many as possible.

It's similar to how Chancellor/Stash works.  You only need to play one Chancellor at a time, but you load up on them as heavily as you can so that you'll get to any one of them as soon as possible.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.116 seconds with 21 queries.