Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vault vs CR vs Governor  (Read 3408 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Vault vs CR vs Governor
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:56:15 pm »

I just played a game with Vault, CR and Governor.  Both my opponent and I went straight for Governor (slight side trip with a couple of Monuments), splitting them 5/5, and I managed to win probably only due to a lucky draw and first player advantage that let me net the last two Provinces before my opponent could.

My question is if Governor is powerful enough that Vault and CR should be ignored.  Note that Hamlet was also on the board, making CR chains possible.  Is it worth losing the Governor split to also pick up Hamlet + CR?  Maybe pick up an early CR so you can grab multiple Governors later with the +buy?  With Governor around, you're sure to be flooded with Silver and Gold, so CR should have ample coin to spend.  All the treasure also makes Vault a virtually guaranteed Province (since 2 Silver is just as good as 1 Gold).  With Hamlet and CR in the mix, multi-province turns should be a breeze. 

But is it fast enough to beat Governor?  I still can't quite handle it so I can't tell when it isn't the dominant strategy.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Vault vs CR vs Governor
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:17 am »

I actually suspect monuments are really good against governor (well, you want a good mix). Obviously vault and CR are really good against governor, but is it good enough? I don't know. And it's very hard to tell.
It'd be really nice if you could post a log tomorrow, and also (maybe?) if somebody could move this into the game reports :)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:43 am »

I don't see the log, but anyway, I am pretty firmly in the camp that Governor is not a card you can pass up. Still, a Council Room/Hamlet draw engine fueled by your opponent's Governor's Silvers COULD be a powerful contender. It all depends, probably, on what the other cards were. Did any of Governor's many friends show up? (Spice Merchant, Moneylender, Border Village, Farmland, Discard Attack, Mint, Watchtower, etc.)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 12:05:40 am »

I actually suspect monuments are really good against governor (well, you want a good mix). Obviously vault and CR are really good against governor, but is it good enough? I don't know. And it's very hard to tell.
It'd be really nice if you could post a log tomorrow, and also (maybe?) if somebody could move this into the game reports :)

Ah, sorry about that.  I didn't think to put it in game reports because the actual game was just straight Governors and only a little bit of Monuments (he had 6 VP, I had 5; he might also have had one more Duchy than me, but Provinces went 5/3 in my favour).  I was tempted to go after Vault and/or CR but didn't actually do it.

Would you mind elaborating on how Monument is good against Governor?  Is it just that the extra VP can make a difference if one player doesn't use them at all?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:12:23 am »
+1

Ah, sorry about that.  I didn't think to put it in game reports because the actual game was just straight Governors and only a little bit of Monuments (he had 6 VP, I had 5; he might also have had one more Duchy than me, but Provinces went 5/3 in my favour).  I was tempted to go after Vault and/or CR but didn't actually do it.

Would you mind elaborating on how Monument is good against Governor?  Is it just that the extra VP can make a difference if one player doesn't use them at all?

4s are generally a tad stronger against governor, trashing for duchy is quite big.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:20:17 pm »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 07:17:47 pm »

Here is the log:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120627-204016-cd2f991c.html

That's a slow governor game!

No kidding.  Barring obstructions, my Governor games usually end in approx 10 - 12 turns.  I think it's because there were only two "Trash a Gold, Gain a Province" turns in the game.  I'd be interested to hear what the other (much better) players think on what breaks a Governor Gold Rush on this board (if anything).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »

I'm by no means an expert on governors, but I can't see what they would do that would be of particular use against a familiar. There's also an option to just take governor gifts of silver and spend them really fast using vaults and council rooms. There is some hamlet, vault, menagerie stuff going on too so a deck can green early. The problem is really that there are too many options and too many ways for you and your opponent to use the governor.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 08:42:39 pm »

Here is the log:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120627-204016-cd2f991c.html

That's a slow governor game!

I understand. :P  I suppose neither of us were particularly decent with it.  Not sure what I could have done differently to speed it up!

If it's a decision between gaining Gold or gaining a Governor (maybe by remodelling a Silver?), which is the better choice?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.