Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A different "Golden Deck," and a crazy Goons game  (Read 1270 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
A different "Golden Deck," and a crazy Goons game
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:03:09 pm »

This isn't quite a Golden Deck, because it's not just five cards.  However, it's impervious to attacks that don't change your deck composition (so cursers, Sab, Swindler), because you only need three cards in hand to draw and play the whole deck.  However, it takes quite a while to set it up; Spice Merchant isn't an ideal trasher.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120624-154246-00e2dc81.html

Same opponent, different day.  At the end of the game he remarked that he really didn't think a Goons engine would work out here.  I'll admit that I didn't either, but all the pieces are there; they're just smaller than one would like.  It's not KC-KC-CR-cantrip-NxGoons, it's TR-TR-Courtyard-cantrip-NxGoons.  Oh, and the cantrips aren't exactly GM.  But it worked out well in the end.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120626-192328-470cb384.html

I'd also like to note that my opponent's username is one of my heroes (and an unsung hero of American science).  Which is pretty cool.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Re: A different "Golden Deck," and a crazy Goons game
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:54:05 pm »

I find if there is a way to play two goons in one turn at all, it is almost always the most dominant strategy (I've seen it fail only once or twice).

When I see Goons I now check for:
(1) A Village;

If no Village, then,
(2) Throne Room/King's Court with a Cantrip (or even without cantrip - TR-TR-G-G works... But way harder to set up without a good draw)

Or
(3) Golem

Ed

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 01:10:03 pm »

Same opponent, different day.  At the end of the game he remarked that he really didn't think a Goons engine would work out here.  I'll admit that I didn't either, but all the pieces are there; they're just smaller than one would like.  It's not KC-KC-CR-cantrip-NxGoons, it's TR-TR-Courtyard-cantrip-NxGoons.  Oh, and the cantrips aren't exactly GM.  But it worked out well in the end.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120626-192328-470cb384.html

22 turns seems slow, and I know Ambassador is on the board, but Trader is such an effective counter to it. Plus it complements +Buy in BM games as well. I think BM-Goons with Trader support would probably keep ahead of this engine pretty easily.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:51 pm »

22 turns seems slow

Really? I'd be surprised if I've yet played a game where Goons were on the board and it took less than 22 turns. Discard attacks + the constant pressure on both players to play Goons for VP + the constant pressure to buy junk for extra VP slows things down a lot. (Obviously Watchtower helps a lot with this, but without draw and +actions you don't necessarily have it in hand all the time.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.