Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I definitely didn't do this optimally, but City/Pawn is really neat.  (Read 647 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/27/game-20120627-150302-f354d10c.html

We had some great banter during the game and both learned something (me from doing it, opponent from seeing it). Monument and the one Talisman (should I have taken a second?) were also big factors; not sure how essential they are, though.

I'm thinking that trying to compete on Cities (and he really shouldn't have been able to split them evenly; as you can see I messed up turn 11, and probably others too) was actually the worst thing he could have done. Probably he should just go for BM+Vault or something yeah? The two Expands really didn't do him very much good. Is it a mistake on my part to ignore Quarry? It seems like getting to 5 for the Cities is easy enough, but with Talisman and +buy available, I may well have missed out.

I suppose 43 points/18 turns is not super fast, but I really like how the Pawns work here - they get their own +buy to get more Pawns quickly, which power the Cities, which allows using the Pawns for +$1 instead of +1 Action (while they can still dig for Cities). Like any other cantrip, they also insulate against discard attacks (not that there were any on the board, but just as a general consideration), and are fodder for upgrade/remodel/TFB effects. (I wonder if using picking up an Expand to use it for Pawn->City is viable here?) It just felt really neat to play out this synergy (albeit a lot of clicking) and it makes me wonder if there's article potential here (I'm really not good enough to write that up, though).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.