Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Do you go for Ill-Gotten Gains or Goons on this set?  (Read 1380 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Do you go for Ill-Gotten Gains or Goons on this set?
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:46:18 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/28/game-20120628-163742-84c4ed6d.html

My opponent went for the engine, buying Potion and Alchemists, hoping to hit a big turn with Fishing Villages and Goons.

I thought that was a lousy strategy with the Ill-Gotten Gains clogging up the deck, and opened 2/5 with Secret Chamber/IGG.  He never really managed to make the Alchemists work for him, but in the end he managed to win, largely thanks to a single turn where he managed to play two Goons.

Which strategy is better?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Do you go for Ill-Gotten Gains or Goons on this set?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:49:41 pm »
+1

Ill-Gotten Goons. Seriously, however, probably IGG. Goons wont help much if your deck is garbage.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:40 pm »

I think the answer is almost always going to involve Goons. It may be just Goons on $6 IGG on $5, but there's no reason to pass up Goons. It's attack is slightly weaker that IGG's "attack", but it gets you more points, which is going to make a difference in the low-scoring game.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:43:09 pm »

Goons is definitely to be preferred to IGG early on, if you have $6. You probably go for IGG at some point. Sorta a shame that there's no trashing better than trade route here, most anything that can trash at least 2, and engine will dominate.

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »

I would totally go for an engine here.  There are tons of great 2s and 3s to buy with goons, great source of +actions, the trasher is slow, but with alchemist drawing most of your deck(and fishing village being a duration - fewer cards to draw), pick up an early trade route and go to town.  You've got goons and oracle to slow down the IGG rush, and the rusher will power up your trade routes.

It's certainly more fun than playing IGG.

edit: After thinking about it, I would open FV/Potion, pick up another potion with my next 4, and get a trade route.  After that, I'd get some fishing villages, another trade route, and pick up a goons relatively soon, and an oracle if you aren't winning the trashing war.  Once you can draw your whole deck every turn, you buy FV/goons/hamlet/oracle(for points).  Not sure if it's fast enough, but i bet it is.

edit2: looks like it's pretty close on a 4/3 vs 5/2 board.  Alchemist is actually really slow with the curses.  Not sure if you have a better strategy opening 4/3 against a 5/2 going IGG rush though.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:17:26 pm by sjelkjd »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.