Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tactician/Vault  (Read 2061 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Tactician/Vault
« on: June 24, 2012, 07:40:52 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/24/game-20120624-160750-61887488.html
This was a mirror match were I lost by 1 since I had to buy an embargoed tactician.
What thoughts have you on how I could have played better?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
Re: Tactician/Vault
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:04:41 pm »

What thoughts have you on how I could have played better?

Honestly?  By drawing a 5/2 start instead of 4/3.  If you had done that, I suspect that top-decking your Vaults with Scheme might have walloped your opponent, though it might have required some lack of luck on his part.  So, uh, silly you for not drawing 5/2?

On the last turn, since you knew your opponent would be able to buy a Province, you could have skipped the second Tactician, threatening a tie by taking Province/Estate, with a guaranteed Duchy the following turn.  But then, your opponent could have bought Duchy/Duchy, and you'd have little chance of taking the last Province (barring drawing both Silvers).  I really think you were screwed at the start.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:09:12 pm »

I don't see any reason not to open with cutpurse here. It doesn't really matter if it clashes with vault. By turn 5 you could be already be looking at non-terminal cards than silver, either great hall or in this case scheme. With a slimmer deck you can just gamble on one scheme, one vault, trash silvers with the apprentice, and buy provinces sooner.

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:45:21 pm »

You had 2 vaults in hand T14.  You could have apprenticed vault instead of estate, since you had a scheme in hand to keep your 1 vault around.  That would have given you +$3 and 1 VP, buying an estate would put you up by 2.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:06:26 pm »

Ignoring cutpurse was definitely a mistake. It's possible that inn cutpurse inn cutpurse would work better for you than double tac.especially since he didn't buy coin but only relied on his vault. knocking 2 cards off his vault discard might have left him with 7. From playing with you I have the impression that your usual focus on big money screwed you up here. You kept using 3 and 4 hands for silver, when you were planning on discarding them anyway, and they were nothing more than placeholders, not worth more than one. Even if not cutpurse, embargo or great hall would have been better buys. I see he bought potion with an eye on golem, which didn't work out for him. As player 2 golem single tac might also have been better than mirror. I like double tac myself, and play engines even when bm makes more sense. But mirroring from player 2 is generally asking to lose.

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:30:54 pm »

One other thought - you had the endgame tempo advantage(buying provinces first).  On the turn you bought the 4th remaining province, you could have schemed your apprentice with the plan of apprenticing a province and buying double province(discarding everything to vault).

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:01:07 am »

Oh and scheme/cutpurse/golem is an interesting adventure in Dominion. Works ok with a vault.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 01:13:59 pm »

You could have been eating up your Silvers with your Apprentice instead of Estates. You weren't playing your Silvers so you were just discarding them for +$1 anyways, Estates are more valuable for the points and net you less +Cards. My guess is you were holding onto them for the final turn buy of Province/Duchy or something similar, but those Estates are good for a tie breaker especially when your opponent is trashing his Estates.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.