Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card: Wildfire  (Read 5639 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Fan Card: Wildfire
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »

Though of this in the shower:

Wildfire
$3 - Action

Trash a card from your hand.  Trash a card from a supply pile.

Ahead in Provinces, but don't want your opponent to catch up?  Trash it!  Don't want your opponent to get that last village?  Trash it!  Want to prevent an IGG 3-piling?  Trash an IGG!  Want to make your opponent's Cursers less efficacious?  Trash a Curse!  Dark Ages has some card that depends on variety in the Trash?  Trash something random!

Variants:

Trash a card from your hand.  Trash a card from a supply pile of cost equal to or less than the cost of the card trashed from your hand.
OR
Reveal a card from your hand.  Trash it, and a card from its supply pile.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Fan Card: Wildfire
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 03:59:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure there have been ideas like this on the forums before of trashing directly from supply. I have to say that I like your last variant best, because it seems to bring something unique that those other cards didn't have, and makes the card more strategic. I think it would need a bonus though, maybe $2 or something, since it really wastes this hand and doesn't really help your deck.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:08:51 pm »

Really, cause I like the last variant least. Seems to remove all the potential uses of the card. You have to outright trash a card from your hand. You can't drain provinces now without a huge huge lead, and well, accelerating the end game is moot at that point anyway. You can't trash supply engine components without killing your own engine. You'd mostly use this to trash coppers and estates then, but really then the supply trash is useless and a single card no benefit trasher has to be terrible.

I do like the original idea though. Very situational, but hey it's a $3 card so that's fine. And it can have some interesting strategic choices. Though I think it may need to be balanced. Outright province trashing is potentially very strong for the player in the lead. At least remodel, salvager et al have to connect with another province.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »
+2

Wildfire – A raging, rapidly spreading fire.

Wildfire - Making a stand. Photo by dflowers2
Hi-res versions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50169903@N04/4609786656/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Elk Bath – A wildfire in the Bitterroot National Forest in Montana, United States. Photo by John McColgan
Hi res version: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Deerfire_high_res_edit.jpg

Photo by United States Department of Agriculture.
Hi-res version: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Forestfire2.jpg

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »

I was playtesting a supply-trashing card for a while, but it was a one-shot that trashed once on gain and once upon being played. That way it could do other interesting things when played in addition to Supply trashing. Also, it could only trash Kingdom cards, so no Province trashing to quickly end the game. That last bit is something you might want to add to this card.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:34:20 pm »

I didn't add a benefit because it can be KC'd.  And trashing a card can be a benefit early, so it's cheap.  And I don't mind it being able to trash non-Kingdom cards.  I suppose I could change it to "Choose one: Trash a card from your hand, or trash a card from a supply pile."  I think I'd make that $2, though.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:26 pm »

I didn't add a benefit because it can be KC'd.  And trashing a card can be a benefit early, so it's cheap.  And I don't mind it being able to trash non-Kingdom cards.  I suppose I could change it to "Choose one: Trash a card from your hand, or trash a card from a supply pile."  I think I'd make that $2, though.
But that's so much stronger!
The problem with supply trashing is that it's incredibly powerful if you can do it to anything. Consider all the cases where you salvage a province, basically just to do this.

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:12:31 pm »
+1

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:16:53 am »

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:20:44 am »

Want me to remove the deer?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:52 pm »

Want me to remove the deer?

Nah, it's fine.  Don't you remember that scene in Bambi where they're all running from the fire?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 11:57:53 pm »
+1

Oh, deer. Bambi discussion. On the subject of the card, you could probably keep the cost at $3 if you made it something like is:
Wildfire
$3 Action
You may trash a card from your hand. You may trash a card from the supply pile. 

Maybe add +1 Action? +XCards?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 12:18:01 am »

Do this any number of times: trash two cards from your hand, then trash two cards from the supply pile. Each opponent may trash a card from their hand.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 12:35:01 am »
+1

Do this any number of times: trash two cards from your hand, then trash two cards from the supply pile. Each opponent may trash a card from their hand.

This won't work well at all. I have a lead and not points in hand? Trash all the remaining provinces. Game over. Might be better if you an an if you do caluse, but still outright province trashing is too strong. And now you can trash 2 provinces?

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 12:46:19 am »

I like the idea of being able to trash more than one card from your hand (compare to Steward which costs 3), and I agree that trashing Provinces shouldn't be easy. How about this?

Wildfire - $3
Trash up to two cards from your hand. Trash a card from a supply pile with cost no more than the total cost in coins of the trashed cards.

Would it be too powerful if it said up to three cards? What should it cost then?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 01:03:57 am by Thanar »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 01:21:39 am »

No no no no no.  I don't want this to be spammable.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 01:46:34 am »

No no no no no.  I don't want this to be spammable.
No, you do not undestand. +Actions or +Cards. Not both.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.534 seconds with 20 queries.