Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lab-Pawn-Apprentice beat by Pawn-Menagerie  (Read 1806 times)

modestguineapig

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Lab-Pawn-Apprentice beat by Pawn-Menagerie
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:47 pm »

This game felt a lot closer while I was playing it...and then the final tally showed I was destroyed!  Were his action card choices better than mine?  Or was it a matter of not buying enough treasure? 

I bought Pawns for the +Buy and Apprentice to trash some of the curses and estates.

Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/20/game-20120620-173630-254b6db7.html

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Lab-Pawn-Apprentice beat by Pawn-Menagerie
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:18:59 pm »

interesting game!  global things (letters) and local nitpicks (numbers).
important things:
a. menagerie is just really good!
b. he got a young witch earlier than you. this may play a big part in his early lead, although I'm also surprised by the score difference.
c. you should use apprentice aggressively - not just to trash coppers and estates, but to trash good cards and draw lots of cards.
d. you need platinum. it's too hard to afford colony without it. those provinces are just getting in the way and letting him end the game.

less important things:
1. I don't agree at all with his early city buy; it looks like he doesn't agree with it either as he doesn't pick up any more. I'm surprised he wasn't penalized more for this, luckwise. His deck could really use an apprentice or two.

2. your pawn card + action on turn 3 is too conservative. Your odds of drawing the apprentice are 1 in 7; you should pawn card + dollar, which has 5/7 odds of getting you to 5 money.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:24:45 pm »

Your YW buy was really questionable.  You got it extremely late and I don't think you even played it once.  But even if you did, he had 5 pawns in his deck, which is a decent defense.  And even if he didn't block, a single curse isn't going to hurt much in the late game.  They're much more damaging early on.

modestguineapig

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:36:37 pm »

Thanks for the input!  Yeah, my heart wasn't in the YW...I wasn't sure what to buy at that point in the game with only $4.  Should I just have gotten a Silver?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:59:24 pm »

At that point, I don't think it mattered.  Nothing you bought would have made a difference.

I'm curious about the optimal strategy though.  I think I would have started YW/pawn first, picking up treasures and possibly extra pawns if necessary, eventually getting Apprentice and Embassy, but not if I had too many pawns.

Is Embassy a trap on this board?  It's one of my favourite cards.  Or maybe a HP stack would have been good?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:24:15 am »

I can't see the log (so can't see the Kingdom), but Pawn/Menagerie is very strong.  It's a slightly less reliable and much cheaper Lab/Peddler, with more flexibility built in.

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:57:54 am »

Menagerie is really strong on this board - Moneylender helps it a lot obviously, and then you have several strong $5s (Lab, Hunting Party, Apprentice, even the city is quite useful once you have a few pawns). I am fairly convinced that a menagerie engine is the strongest strategy on this kingdom.
In fact, I don't think your opponent played it every well - he should have gotten more menageries and made his deck more diverse early on (start buying pawns earlier, HP instead of Lab, apprentice early instead of the early city).

Regarding your play: most importantly, you should have gotten a YW. Early. Probably after the first reshuffle, or as the opening buy as eHalcyon suggests.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.