Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting combo: Wishing Well/Trader  (Read 2204 times)

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Interesting combo: Wishing Well/Trader
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:31:37 pm »

While this isn't a super-strong combo, it's a pair of cards which have interesting effects.  If you have a Trader in your deck, then you will have a lot of silver (ideally six from your initial estates, four more if two Traders collide, and even more if your opponents are cursing you).  This increases the number of wishes which will be granted, and the benefit when they are granted; a silver is usually a good wish, and you can still wish for a copper if you have 8 in hand, or 7 with as much copper as silver.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting combo: Wishing Well/Trader
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:20:55 pm »

Seems like a good combo when Trader is good, (alt victory points) but wouldn't make me want to go trader when I wouldn't already.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:55:36 pm »

Seems like a good combo when Trader is good, (alt victory points) but wouldn't make me want to go trader when I wouldn't already.
As an absolute that seems nonsensical.  If the combo is good, valuation of Trader should go up.  If not by much, ok, not many boards will become Trader boards.  But it's not possible for the combo to be useful and have no impact whatsoever on how often you buy Trader on any of the trillions of boards with Trader in them, with varying amounts of alt VP support, cursing attack presence, etc.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:16:23 am »

As an absolute that seems nonsensical.  If the combo is good, valuation of Trader should go up.  If not by much, ok, not many boards will become Trader boards.  But it's not possible for the combo to be useful and have no impact whatsoever on how often you buy Trader on any of the trillions of boards with Trader in them, with varying amounts of alt VP support, cursing attack presence, etc.

I think Tdog meant that (in his opinion) the presence of Trader increases the value of Wishing Well, though perhaps not as much vice versa.  So sure, maybe WW increases the value of Trader as well, but not by enough to tip the scales on whether to buy Trader.  I may be misreading though!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:49:44 am »

When discussing the absolute, pops is technically correct.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:03:47 am »

Wishing Well is a funky card. Often I'm finding myself having to make a trade off between the card I have the most chance of guessing correct and the card I want most.

Having a card like Trader can increase your WW chances and effectiveness, but not so much the other way around I guess.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:36:44 am »

What I was trying to say is that if I'm going I go trader, I might pick up an extra wishing well or two. But, if the board looks like an engine board, the presence of wishing well won't make me want to go trader instead. I think wishing well is a reasonably good $3 on its own, this will improve its value in big money, alternate vp, and cursing game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.826 seconds with 22 queries.