Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Got destroyed in a Cities game. Why?  (Read 3045 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Got destroyed in a Cities game. Why?
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:58:25 am »

Here's the game:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/16/game-20120616-085632-08f52624.html

I liked my buy of Wharf over Rabble, but as soon as the Cities hit I was toast.  Should I have bought Golem?  How did my opponent hit his megaturns before I did?

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Got destroyed in a Cities game. Why?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 12:18:54 pm »

Here's the game:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/16/game-20120616-085632-08f52624.html

I liked my buy of Wharf over Rabble, but as soon as the Cities hit I was toast.  Should I have bought Golem?  How did my opponent hit his megaturns before I did?
You kept buying cities, which at this point were just acting as villages. Your opponent instead put these cities to good use by getting some rabbles, draw bigger hands, and thus was still able to catch up with your city purchases. And yes golem is very strong here.
This wasn't about rabble versus wharf, this was about draw cards and cities versus cities only.

jider

• Swindler
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:22:18 pm »

I would say the Forge really helped your opponent.  You still had your 7 coppers and 3 estates and he had none, allowing him to draw more useful cards in his mega turn instead of drawing copper/estate.

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:16:02 pm »

You kept buying cities, which at this point were just acting as villages. Your opponent instead put these cities to good use by getting some rabbles, draw bigger hands, and thus was still able to catch up with your city purchases.

My first buy was a Wharf, not a City.  My opponent only bought a single Rabble before the Cities kicked in.  So this is just flat wrong.

The only difference between our initial play was that I chose to get a Wharf instead of a Rabble, and the one time I had a Potion and 5 coins I chose to buy a City, not a Golem.

Choosing the Golem over the City was probably a mistake, although the more I look at the transcript the more I think I mostly got unlucky.  I drew 4 coins and a Potion on Turn 3, when I had to chose between University and Golem.

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »

I would say the Forge really helped your opponent.  You still had your 7 coppers and 3 estates and he had none, allowing him to draw more useful cards in his mega turn instead of drawing copper/estate.

I never had enough coins to buy the Forge.  The game was over before then.

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 01:23:34 pm »

You kept buying cities, which at this point were just acting as villages. Your opponent instead put these cities to good use by getting some rabbles, draw bigger hands, and thus was still able to catch up with your city purchases.

My first buy was a Wharf, not a City.  My opponent only bought a single Rabble before the Cities kicked in.  So this is just flat wrong.
Oh ok, I didn't really look at your opponent's turns. However, this doesn't change the fact that you were wrong to keep buying cities instead of more wharfs, or a golem.

Edit: The right way to approach looking at a game like this is not to ask "Why did I lose?", but "What could I have done to improve my chances?"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:25:47 pm by cherdano »

gorgonstar

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:59:35 pm »

So I would ask the question, how do I improve my chances of getting a Forge?  Look through the logs and see if any purchases could have strengthened your economy.  The answer is more card draw from either wharfs or rabbles I think.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 05:33:40 pm »

On turn 7 you took two cites and one of them should have been another wharf. Your opponent gained an early advantage with the rabble attack and that's just the way the cards draw sometimes.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 06:56:32 pm »

• i think the better statement is "you never had enough coin". period.  when you ended the game you only had 9 total coin in your deck. unless you draw your whole deck you were very unlikely to hit the 7 for forge.
  • i would pass on the courtyard turn 4 for a silver.  you expected to have plenty of draw from city, wharf, and rabble so the courtyard doesn't do much for you.
  • why two cities on turn 7? they are still vanilla villages at that point and you have plenty of actions from your university already.  get some wharves to get your deck cycling and you will be able to make up for falling behind the city race.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.54 seconds with 21 queries.