Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Watchtower, Fishing Village  (Read 1671 times)

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Watchtower, Fishing Village
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:03:24 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/15/game-20120615-160239-5ff5ee64.html
I get destroyed in this game. How would you play this board?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtower, Fishing Village
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 08:23:55 pm »
+1

You bought way too much Gold. A Mine and come Inns would have probably served you better. With Inn+Watchtower, you can cycle through a lot of cards to find a couple of big treasures rather than trying to get a mass of treasures.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »

The people on this forum like Ghost Ship a lot - seems like if you go with HiveMind's suggestion, you would likely get to attack pretty regularly if you picked up 1 or 2 Ghost Ships. Of course, now we are saying buy 1 or 2 gold, a platinum or two, a few villages, a watchtower or two, a Ghost Ship or two, and several inns - that's a lot to pick up, so now I am doubting my advice. Of course, Ghost Shipping each other tends to draw out the game, so there may be more time to buy all of your pieces.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:22:59 pm »

I'm wary of Ghost Ship because of how much Watchtower would stop it, especially with Fishing Village + Inn out.

Then again, Ghost Ship + Rabble sounds incredibly mean...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 02:30:16 am »

You definitely went overboard on the Watchtowers. You were frequently drawing 2 or even 1 from them, and drawing 1 means that it might as well not be there. Your opponent only had one Watchtower, but it did lots of work thanks to Inns. If you adopt a strategy similar to HiveMind's suggestion/your opponent's strategy, you would likely win because your opponent kept on hitting $9 and $10.

I'm wary of Ghost Ship because of how much Watchtower would stop it, especially with Fishing Village + Inn out.

Then again, Ghost Ship + Rabble sounds incredibly mean...

Ghost Ship + Rabble is a double-edged sword. You might just end up discarding two of their Coppers, especially if they have an Inn or Watchtower in hand (since they have nothing to lose by putting two Coppers on top). Also, I initially parsed your name as Tit-and-rake.
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:19:38 am »
+1

My initial thought was to agree with HiveMindEmulator here.

I want to start up using fishing villages & watchtowers. Probably want 2-3 fishing villages and 3-4 watchtowers. Thats a bit out of balance, but I don't mind. Soon lots of inns are coming. I want to add a mine and a ghost ship ASAP and use the mine as many times as I can, by just adding inns for a long time. Maybe in an exact mirror the ghost ship doesn't do much, but I think I want it anyway.

Then it depends on what my opponent does. If he doesn't appear to have a plan / actions, I will punish that by getting 1 additional ghost ship, focusing on playing them every turn. That should stall him hard, while I keep upgrading my yellow cards. If he really doesn't want to listen I start adding rabbles, to play before the ghost ship.

If he mirrors me, I will add more fishing+watchtower (next to lots of inns). This type of deck plays almost every action every turn, but then stalls hard when I start greening. So especially in a mirror, I want my green cards to be colonies. If he tries to end it on provinces: good luck. That will require buying 8 of them, because I'm not going to help you. If I have more fishing villages & watchtowers and he starts greening a little bit too soon (i.e. provinces in stead of colonies) its time for some rabbles. Rabbling some and ending with a ghost ship may stall him for several turns.

----

Having said that, a very nice alternative is to ignore the watchtowers, and go fishing village + rabble (still with a mine & a ghost ship, only add an inn when the timing is nice, don't buy money that costs 6 or less). Yes, opponents ghost ships will hurt a bit more, but you can handle greening a lot better. Simpler and could very well be stronger.
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.