Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: MTG cards as Dominion cards  (Read 8755 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: MTG cards as Dominion cards
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 12:56:57 pm »

Is it really that uncommon for someone like me to thoroughly enjoy Dominion but abhor MtG?

(Why: I don't see how it can be fun losing a game before your 2nd turn.)

I played BANG! the other day and was killed before I got to take my first turn. :(

I play more SGS than Bang now, but they are extremely similar.  I think those moments are hilarious. :)

sandstorm

• Baron
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:44 pm »

If you want to enjoy MTG without spending a bajillion dollars I highly recommend Duels of the Planeswalkers for PC, PlayStation, Xbox, or iPad. It only costs 10 dollars and comes with quite a few cards.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »

Or make a friend with someone with a ton of cards.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »

My game group found a way against the whole drive to keep spending more money to build better decks than each other. When we decided we wanted to play Magic, a couple guys who had a bunch of old cards lying around donated them to the group, and the rest of us threw in $10 which we used to go buy a bunch of packs.

Then we held a draft with all the cards, after which we acted like the cards we drafted were owned by us... we traded them, built decks with them, etc. All the decks were pretty crappy compared to tournament-level decks, but they were equal with each other.

Every once in a while, we would take all the cards, put them back in the pot, and start over again.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 04:05:50 pm »

My game group found a way against the whole drive to keep spending more money to build better decks than each other. When we decided we wanted to play Magic, a couple guys who had a bunch of old cards lying around donated them to the group, and the rest of us threw in $10 which we used to go buy a bunch of packs.

Then we held a draft with all the cards, after which we acted like the cards we drafted were owned by us... we traded them, built decks with them, etc. All the decks were pretty crappy compared to tournament-level decks, but they were equal with each other.

Every once in a while, we would take all the cards, put them back in the pot, and start over again.
That's basically how our group handled PK Cards when we were introduced to them. There's no point in having more than 3 of any particular card so extras were donated to people as we taught more how to play.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:08 pm »

You guys might be interested in LCGs.  I heard Android: Net Runner is great.  I have no experience with them though; this is just hearsay.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 07:21:07 pm »

And why no Dominion cards "Look through your deck, you may reveal an action/treasure card from it, put it into your hand then shuffle your deck" ?
Okay, there are already graverobber (gain from the trash) and scavenger (topdeck from the discard pile). Of course, it all depends whether you take the trash or the discard as MTG's graveyard.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 07:50:11 pm »

And why no Dominion cards "Look through your deck, you may reveal an action/treasure card from it, put it into your hand then shuffle your deck" ?

Time. Remember, if that's a dominion card, if it's good it might get played potentially every turn, or potentially many times per turn. And each of those plays will require looking through your deck and a shuffle. While the opponent sits there twiddling their thumbs and waiting.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 11:19:41 pm »

Plus HP already kind of finds cards in your deck. Sage too.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 11:44:47 pm »

Is it really that uncommon for someone like me to thoroughly enjoy Dominion but abhor MtG?

(Why: I don't see how it can be fun losing a game before your 2nd turn.)
Well that's why the cards that let you win on your second/third turn are banned in most formats.

Legacy has quite a few decks that can win on second turn with monster hands, Modern has a few too. I don't follow vintage.

But yeah, really, it is very rare for that to happen, and in Standard, which is, I believe, the most popular format, you do not win before turn 5 unless you open with god hand.

Upgrade - Birthing Pod (I love this one :) )
Minion - Time Spiral
Chancellor - Reminisce
Oasis - Any looting effect, like Faithless Looting
Envoy - Fact or Fiction
Throne Room - Reverberate
Wandering Minster - Augur of Bolas (or scry 3)
Steward - any Charm
Moat - Counterspell
Rats - Relentless Rats (mostly cuz of numbers and flavor)
Scout - Chimney Imp
Black Market - Booster Tutor

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 06:11:28 pm »

We pretty much always played Magic with 3 or more players....
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.771 seconds with 21 queries.