Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Border Village + Forge  (Read 5513 times)

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
Combo: Border Village + Forge
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:00:59 am »
+1

My apologies if this is already posted elsewhere... I couldn't find it.

Border Village can gain you $11 worth of cards for only $6 spent.  Pair that with a Forge, and you've got a rather cheap Colony... assuming you can draw the cards.  Fortunately, there are quite a few $5 cantrip draws and sifters (Lab, Stables, Cartographer, HP, etc).

Here's the game that got me thinking about it.  It's not all that great a game... SCSN was mainly experimenting with Rebuild strategies and I just stumbled around a bunch.  Still, 6 Colonies (plus one trashed) in 20 turns isn't too shabby.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130609/log.5101a6c4e4b02b7235c3860f.1370787738643.txt
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Border Village + Forge
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:01:41 am »

Border Village can gain you $11 worth of cards for only $6 spent.  Pair that with a Forge, and you've got a rather cheap Colony... assuming you can draw the cards.  Fortunately, there are quite a few $5 cantrip draws and sifters (Lab, Stables, Cartographer, HP, etc).

Here's the game that got me thinking about it.  It's not all that great a game... SCSN was mainly experimenting with Rebuild strategies and I just stumbled around a bunch.  Still, 6 Colonies (plus one trashed) in 20 turns isn't too shabby.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130609/log.5101a6c4e4b02b7235c3860f.1370787738643.txt

Although Forge-a-Border Village really helps you, I think the main point here is to go engine. Engine is just sooo much stronger then Rebuild on this board. In fact, I think you misplayed it a bit here and still won by a huge margin. I like the Coppersmith on  turn 4, but then you really should get BV+Upgrade on turn 5. BV+Festival on the next, and then switch to more Laboratories for quite a while. At some point add a second coppersmith (estate->silver->coppersmith) and a 2nd/3rd festival. Maybe bring in a forge near the end, preferably by upgrading a BV into it. But even without it you should be able to out-buy the Rebuilds here easily.
Join the Dominion League!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 06:41:02 am »
+1

It's not all that great a game... SCSN was mainly experimenting with Rebuild strategies and I just stumbled around a bunch.

I'm pretty sure we had agreed to experiment with Rebuild mirrors :D

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:20 pm »

It's not all that great a game... SCSN was mainly experimenting with Rebuild strategies and I just stumbled around a bunch.

So that's why you two had an unrated game called "Rebuild" in Outpost. I saw it, and was like "what is going on?"

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32:15 pm »

What?! A board where Rebuild isn't the dominant strategy?  That's blasphemy.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32:51 pm »
+5

We should hold 'The Rebuild Games" -- a series of unranked games featuring Rebuild, where one player agrees to buy Rebuild while his opponent ignores it. Then perhaps we can finally judge this card correctly.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:02:23 pm »

Hehe. I thought we were arguing over whether Rebuild is dominant in Colony games!
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:04:17 pm »

...is it? I'm leaning towards usually not.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 03:07:27 pm »
+1

We should hold 'The Rebuild Games" -- a series of unranked games featuring Rebuild, where one player agrees to buy Rebuild while his opponent ignores it. Then perhaps we can finally judge this card correctly.

I'm up for it!

Although Forge-a-Border Village really helps you, I think the main point here is to go engine. Engine is just sooo much stronger then Rebuild on this board. In fact, I think you misplayed it a bit here and still won by a huge margin. I like the Coppersmith on  turn 4, but then you really should get BV+Upgrade on turn 5. BV+Festival on the next, and then switch to more Laboratories for quite a while. At some point add a second coppersmith (estate->silver->coppersmith) and a 2nd/3rd festival. Maybe bring in a forge near the end, preferably by upgrading a BV into it. But even without it you should be able to out-buy the Rebuilds here easily.
You are probably right on the engine>rebuild here, but let's point out that these rebuilds were played rather poorly. I mean, way not enough rebuilds and bad duchy buys on turns 6(!) and 9. This really hurts. Of course, there is a pretty good engine here, and most importantly there are colonies, so that should still swing it to engine's favor.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 03:54:15 pm »
+1

You are probably right on the engine>rebuild here, but let's point out that these rebuilds were played rather poorly. I mean, way not enough rebuilds and bad duchy buys on turns 6(!) and 9. This really hurts. Of course, there is a pretty good engine here, and most importantly there are colonies, so that should still swing it to engine's favor.

Yeesh. C'mon guys... we knew it wasn't a quality game even while we were playing it. No one should be seriously analyzing it, let alone our reigning #1 and #2. It's just there to provide some sort of reference for the Forge/BV combo.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 05:43:24 pm »
+2

Yeesh. C'mon guys... we knew it wasn't a quality game even while we were playing it. No one should be seriously analyzing it, let alone our reigning #1 and #2. It's just there to provide some sort of reference for the Forge/BV combo.

You posted it yourself into Dominion Articles, so don't be too surprised if someone actually reads it.
Besides, you can't claim 1 and 2 scare you that much, Mr. #3 ;)

But okay I'll let it go.
Join the Dominion League!

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 06:54:38 pm »
+1

You posted it yourself into Dominion Articles, so don't be too surprised if someone actually reads it.

Ah, but I didn't put it in "Game Reports," did I? :D

You scare everybody.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 06:58:23 pm »
+4

Ah, but I didn't put it in "Game Reports," did I? :D

Maybe I am missing something, but this makes his point. Let's look at their board descriptions:

Dominion Articles

In-depth Dominion strategy articles

Game Reports

Show off your epic wins, or laugh at your epic fails.

You tell me which sounds more like serious analysis.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.8 seconds with 21 queries.