Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Game disconnects me during a long turn.  (Read 13716 times)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile
Game disconnects me during a long turn.
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:53 pm »
+1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/11/game-20120611-193019-3fa111e8.html

This is what my live game log looks like:

You play a Golem.
... (You reshuffle.)
... You reveal a Cellar, a Silver, a Copper, a Province, a Copper, an Estate, a Copper, a Province, a Potion, a Copper, a Copper, and a Copper.
... You discard the 6 Coppers, the 2 Provinces, the Potion, the Silver, and the Estate.
... You play the Cellar first.
... ... You get +1 action.
... ... You discard a Province, a Golem, and an Estate.
... ... (You reshuffle.)
... ... You draw 2 Coppers and an Estate.
... You have no other action card to play.
You timed out!
You resign from the game (client disconnected or unresponsive).

Game Over

The game is over! (All but one player has resigned.)
oober has 27 points (3 Provinces, 5 ▼, and 4 Estates) and took 14 turns. Eye Urn resigned.
oober wins!

I most certainly didn't time out - I had *just* made a decision.  My turn was taking a bit, but I wasn't taking a particularly long time to make any one decision.  I wonder if during my thinking about the Cellar my ISP decided I didn't need to use the connection any more and dropped it (as it is prone to doing; such policy makes some online games unplayable), but I've played long turns with thinking in the past and haven't had a problem with the game suddenly deciding I resigned.  Reconnected, maybe, but certainly not timed out like that.
Stop reading my signature.

pgunsul

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Game disconnects me during a long turn.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:49:11 pm »
+2

I had a similar situation except I did not take a long time for a turn.  It just said I resigned but I did not.  I rushed to the forums and registered so I could reply to this thread!

Here's the game log as well:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/11/game-20120611-194257-3ef3dec8.html

I thought my opponent was playing "strangely" so I had the thought that I was somehow "hacked" into resigning (not sure what that means).  But most probably not.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »

I had a similar situation, except it was my opponents turn. I tried refreshing, hitting info, nothing worked. And I "resigned". Do not have a game log, it just happened today.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

pgunsul

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:41:38 pm »

Ok.  Now I was playing with my wife (yes, we are on the same couch playing online Dominion!  :) ) and she said that it popped up that I was taking a long time to play...  while I was playing.  That probably eliminates my ISP as the culprit since we are obviously using the same connection.  Not sure what other information I could provide that would be helpful.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »

Ok.  Now I was playing with my wife (yes, we are on the same couch playing online Dominion!  :) ) and she said that it popped up that I was taking a long time to play...  while I was playing.  That probably eliminates my ISP as the culprit since we are obviously using the same connection.  Not sure what other information I could provide that would be helpful.

My wife and I were playing with a friend the other night and were getting the same thing.  She was new to the game and, on her first few turns, did set off the usual "make this player resign" button, but after that the message popped up almost immediately during her turns.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:07:17 am »

My wife and I were playing with a friend the other night and were getting the same thing.  She was new to the game and, on her first few turns, did set off the usual "make this player resign" button, but after that the message popped up almost immediately during her turns.

It seems this may be a feature, designed to prevent miscreant opponents from keeping a game alive indefinitely without making any progress.  I don't recall an announcement about it though.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:21:32 pm »

Also having this issue.

metzgerism

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:48:30 am »

Earlier today, I forced a player to resign (they WERE taking a while, but not long enough).
After I hit the button, they made an action and finished their turn.
On my turn, I went through everything as normal.

At the end of the turn, I got the "You Win!" message, saying they had resigned...I think he also said "gg" after that, weirdness all around...

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 11:47:21 am »

This also happened to me yesterday *after I had just emptied the third stack and would have won with that but just before I could click away a second buy*! :( >:(
(My turn wasn't long, though.)

Veeeery annoying! >:( It was a close game and I was very glad to actually win it in the end only to have to stare at the screen saying I had timed out, resigned and lost just very short after buying the Estate! (It sucked especially because I was already having a bad day in the games before that.)

Here's a screenshot (click to enlarge):

Here's the log:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120613-105428-0ef4f6aa.html

The screenshot actually proves that I didn't really time out by forgetting to make the second buy:

In the chat part that is cut off before the ggs my opponent and I had already discussed the game both assuming that I had won (that's what I later refer to).
On 19:53 I buy the last Estate and both of us gg. On 19:54 the game says I timed out and resigned and my opponent leaves wordlessly.
So even if I should have forgotten to click away the second buy (which I don't believe because it is so second nature but can't totally rule out), that one minute would never have been enough to legitimately time me out (there was definitely no instance of me taking enough time for my opponent to receive a "make resign offer" before in the game in case that matters).

Is there a way to correct the game result afterwards in an unfair case as clear as this? I really feel cheated out of my legitimate victory here (and even worse into an illegitimate loss)...
(The fact that my opponent left wordlessly without even commenting although I was still talking to him didn't seem appropriate to me at all, either - maybe he even got a "make resign offer" and shamefully accepted it? He didn't answer when I asked him what was going on later in the lobby.)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 02:26:45 pm »

Just had the option to do this to an opponent.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 02:35:38 pm »

To do what, exactly? To make him resign shortly after he was still doing things? Can you specify some more circumstances?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 02:39:23 pm »

To do what, exactly? To make him resign shortly after he was still doing things? Can you specify some more circumstances?
Yes, basically that exactly. It just let me resign him for a few seconds in the middle of his turn. Or at least the thing popped up - don't know whether it would actually have resigned him.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 06:41:26 pm »

Twice in the last few days (including in a tournament game) my opponent told me it gave him the option to make me resign.

Both times I was taking a long turn. On one there was no inactivity (just going through scrying pool or something). In the second I was taking some time to calculate a decision, but no more than 30 seconds or less.

I think something is timing out games with long turns... Hopefully you have polite opponents who don't log you out.,,

Ed

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 08:56:51 pm »

This happened to me in a game today featuring outpost and carts
Ographers.  I had option to resign my opponent even though they were clearly doing something.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 09:19:31 pm »

I think something is timing out games with long turns...

I don't think it has much to do with a long turn. Both in my and in pgunsul's case it was no long turn by any means as you can see from the linked logs (and my screenshot).

pgunsul

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »

My wife just had the option to resign me again during a long turn this time.  This is a long shot, but does the browser matter?  I have been using Google Chrome on Ubuntu.  However, my wife uses IE on Windows and it has never given me the option to resign her.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »

This is a long shot, but does the browser matter?  I have been using Google Chrome on Ubuntu.

I have been using Chrome on Windows XP.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 04:19:48 pm »

Had it happen to me on Firefox, Windows 7. Don't think this is the issue.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 04:23:34 pm »

I have written dougz a message and gave him a link to this thread in case he missed it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 12:39:51 am »

I'm also experiencing this with a new player.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »

I just got an offer to make a player resign. I think it was during the decision process of a Masquerade, but in any case he wasn't taking a too long time at all.

I did *not* click the prompt but got a message that he resigned anyway! It was a threesome, but I asked the third player and he said he didn't even see a prompt and certainly didn't click it. The guy who resigned was loosing the game (would quite certainly have ended up on third place anyway), so I can't be sure he didn't actually resign by himself, but in that case I shouldn't have gotten a prompt to make him resign without him taking a long time.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 08:58:25 am »

Yesterday, I had yet another instance of an opponent being illegitimately resigned from a game!

It was a three player game and happened during his decision time to discard to the Militia of the third player. He didn't take any noteworthy time, but the third player immediately clicked the appearing prompt to resign him. (He told me that when I asked him about it. When I criticized him for doing so, he said he didn't realize the guy hadn't taken much time and that it had become second nature to him to make people resign as soon as the prompt comes up.)

I have taken a screenshot which I can provide in case the details are important for finding the bug.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 01:05:53 pm »

Had this happen to me yesterday for the first time too. My opponent was taking long Scrying Pool turns while I was mostly doing ~3 click turns. After a few turns of this, I got the option of resigning him ~2 seconds into his turn (he was constantly active and playing fast, his turns still took a long time since that's Scrying Pool for you).

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 01:07:17 pm »

For reference, I don't think my opponents' turns were really being particularly long when I got my option. I'm more certain that the turn I got the option in wasn't a very long one. I'm most certain that it hadn't been very long since his prior action.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 01:41:13 pm »

For reference, I don't think my opponents' turns were really being particularly long when I got my option.

It indeed doesn't look like turn length has much to do with the problem.
The game logs of the three games I reported here (the one in which I was resigned and two in which I got an illegitimate prompt to resign an opponent) show that in neither of them, it happened during long turns.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.