Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How long are the longest games (and which cards are at fault)?  (Read 3574 times)

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile

I was going to post this in the "Which cards are the slowest?" topic, but this topic has a slightly different contextual meaning; that is, which cards slow down the game in general. I recently had an hour-long game on Isotropic; here were the important cards: Forge, Familiar, Ghost Ship, Colony, Platinum. I hate going for Familiar so I respond defensively by going for Ghost Ships, to make my opponents play their Familiars less (and to considerably slow them down in general). Unfortunately the only source of trashing was the Forge, so it took quite some time to rid of most of my Curses. (if anyone wants to see the log: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120602-194008-0ecb528a.html

I also wanted to mention this combination of cards in this regard: Pirate Ship and Secret Chamber; SC is a very nice counter but it lengthens the game considerably by 1). making it much harder to make your Pirate Ships worth something, and 2). unnecessarily triggering a reaction ability when all you desire is the money from the Pirate Ship. (Plus Pirate Ship is already quite a slow card as mentioned in the other thread.) FYI I tend to play three-player games so Pirate Ship excels more as a strategy, so it's hard for me to ignore it. Whenever I ever see SC though... just no.

What I'm curious about is how long the absolute longest games are on Isotropic. I'm not exactly eager to experiment with this though. What I am interested in is other extremely long games people have had (maybe involving specific card combinations or specific cards themselves).

And, once you realize you're gonna be in for an hour-long game or more, what's the proper etiquette to handle it? I rarely like to resign, but I also hate to sit through excessively lengthy monotonous games. I decided to sit through the whole of the game above, but only because the initial Ghost Shipping was my fault. X_X

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: How long are the longest games (and which cards are at fault)?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:10 pm »
+1

3p Familiar/Ghost Ship games where one person resigns early and the remaining two now have 12 Colonies (and 20 Curses!) to empty are generally going to be pretty long, yes. :P
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

sparky5856

• Bishop
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:52:00 pm »

The fact that the one player resigned early also didn't help in my case, yes. xD Maybe he saw how long the game was going to be, but now I had to deal with about 16 or so incoming curses. There were still like 7 Curses left at game's end; with a game of that length I find that pretty intriguing.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:55:17 pm »

Things that slow down the game - that's probably what was given by cayvie in that other thread:

Not sure quite what you mean. There's this:

Sea Hag    23.95 ± 0.02    25.94 ± 0.05
Familiar    23.89 ± 0.02    25.76 ± 0.06
Mountebank23.56 ± 0.02    25.64 ± 0.04
Goons    23.18 ± 0.02    24.37 ± 0.04
Colony    22.71 ± 0.01    22.71 ± 0.01
Platinum    22.71 ± 0.01    22.71 ± 0.01
Witch    22.69 ± 0.02    24.71 ± 0.05
Ghost Ship    22.07 ± 0.02    24.33 ± 0.05
Ambassador   22.05 ± 0.02    24.24 ± 0.05
Saboteur    22.02 ± 0.02    24.17 ± 0.05

which is the top 10 cards by average game length

Attacks increase the number of turns to get anywhere, and colonies raise the target goal.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 05:02:28 am »

The longest game I can remember playing was a 4P Colony game with Margrave, Masquerade, Fishing Village, and Bishop.  The main reason it took so long is that every person's turn you'd have three other people having to make six or seven decisions each, that you actually had to think about every time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:06:09 am by yudantaiteki »

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 07:49:21 am »
+3

Possession can lead to stupid long games where you don't want more than a single copper in your deck. I once had a game with Possession and Apprentice. If you were possessed your opponent could easily draw you deck by apprenticing your provinces.

At some point I was thinking to empty the copper pile to end the game by trashing coppers one by one (it was too risky to have 2 coppers in your deck, this meant possibly offering a free estate to the opponent). This takes time. Fortunately my opponent trashed all his possessions in a desperate effort to buy a province, which unlocked the situation. Probably the optimal play would have resulted in a stalemate.

Log (60 turns, not counting possessions)
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120327-123730-1d8cb7ca.html
Designer of Chronos Conquest

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:07:49 pm »

Possession can lead to stupid long games where you don't want more than a single copper in your deck. I once had a game with Possession and Apprentice. If you were possessed your opponent could easily draw you deck by apprenticing your provinces.

At some point I was thinking to empty the copper pile to end the game by trashing coppers one by one (it was too risky to have 2 coppers in your deck, this meant possibly offering a free estate to the opponent). This takes time. Fortunately my opponent trashed all his possessions in a desperate effort to buy a province, which unlocked the situation. Probably the optimal play would have resulted in a stalemate.

OMG that graph.  20 turns of no money.  That's crazy!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 02:30:18 am »

Also does anyone else see "parsing error" at the top of that log?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:36 am »

Also does anyone else see "parsing error" at the top of that log?

I especially like that rr put in "be a hero, find the bug!"

Edit:  Given that "-1 Curse" shows up in the log box right at turn 58, I suspect this is where the parser dies a bit:

--- Rhet's turn (possessed by gamesou) ---
Rhet plays 2 Silvers and a Copper.
Rhet buys a Duchy.
... ... gamesou gains the Curse.
... gamesou gains the Duchy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:06:52 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Khyad Halda

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:47:51 am »

Goons devalues green cards and usually leads to long engine games.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:25:42 pm »

I opened that game log, and Chrome immediately hanged and my laptop's display driver crashed. Jesus.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.964 seconds with 21 queries.