Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card idea: Stock Market  (Read 2650 times)

meshuggah42

• Salvager
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Card idea: Stock Market
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:05:08 am »

Stock Market

Action
Cost: 5$

Trash a card from your hand.
If it was...
a Treasure card: +3$
a Victory card: +3 cards, +1 action
an Action card: +2 cards, +2 actions
a Curse card: +1 card, +1 action and each other player gains a Curse

You may trash this card immediately. If you do, gain a Duchy.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:11:31 am by meshuggah42 »

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Card idea: Stock Market
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:15:07 am »

trashing a Great Hall for +5cards +3 actions seems a bit strong.

Without Dual types, each option on it's own does not sound that bad at first sight, but as you have the choice, it might be still too strong.

meshuggah42

• Salvager
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:19:01 am »

Yes, Great Hall would make this card crazy. Maybe dual-types could get a restriction, only allowing one option, but that would be weak I think.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:21:32 am »

trashing a Great Hall for +5cards +3 actions seems a bit strong.

Without Dual types, each option on it's own does not sound that bad at first sight, but as you have the choice, it might be still too strong.

Agreed - dual actions does seem a little strong, but this is interesting.  I'm a little afraid that its a little too strong.  (Look at how much it outclasses moneylender and spice merchant - both 4 cost cards). 

Is the immediate trash for duchy in addition to to the above? 

Note: Is anyone else secretly dissapointed that this card didn't actually bring in a market board?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:07:27 am »

I think it is far too powerful as a trasher if you start with 5/2, even if it does not trash very much.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:54:58 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much about dual-types, since they don't show up every game, and it's fine to have it be really strong with them. You still have to keep acquiring the great halls to trash.

But I think the card looks a bit too strong overall. I don't think you need to give that much benefit for curse trashing, and as Schlippy said, the bonus for trashing Estates makes it seem too strong on a 5/2.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 02:24:29 pm »

I had come up with my own card called "Stock Market":

$6 – Treasure – Stock Market - $0 – Every time you buy a card during your buy phase, +$3.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08:23 pm »

I think I'm less concerned with how well it does with dual-types -- although that is a concern -- as how mandatory it would be as an opener.  This is crazy strong, usually better than every other trash-for-benefit card in the early game.  It's better than Apprentice at trashing Estates, for example, and way better than Apprentice, Salvager, and Trader at trashing Coppers.  It's on a par with Moneylender at trashing Coppers, but Moneylender is completely dead if you don't have a Copper to trash, so this is wildly stronger than Moneylender, even above what you can account for with the price increase.   In the mid-game, when you have a higher density of cards you want to keep, I think it's probably more balanced.  But I fear it would be basically mandatory to pick up within the first four turns.

You might be able to at least partially fix this by including a Potion cost, so that it cannot be obtained too early.  I'm not sure if that's enough of a nerf, though.  You might also have to reduce some of the specific bonuses, too.  Perhaps removing the +1 Action for Victory cards is an interesting idea.

Ultimately, with the right nerfs, you probably won't have to do anything special for dual-type cards anymore.  After all, there are no dual-type restrictions on any other card that cares about type:  Tribute, Transmute, IronWorks, et al, just work with dual-type cards as appropriately strong combos.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.