Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How do I beat Smithy BM in this kingdom?  (Read 2141 times)

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
How do I beat Smithy BM in this kingdom?
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:51:26 am »

http://www.dominiondeck.com/games/dark-ages-act-3-game-19

This is Dark Ages adventures Act 3, game 19.

I was getting my ass handed to me by the bot, who played a simplistic Smithy-BM strategy (2-player game). I think I lost something like 8-10 times against the bot before finally getting a lucky win.

I tried several Marauder strategies. I tried an all-out attack strategy with Marauder, Knights and Rogue. I tried several versions of a Garden rush, using Storeroom/Poor House as enablers. I tried several Chapel decks. I even tried going Smithy BM myself a couple of times to no avail - and besides I didn't want to win like that.

In the end I got a bit lucky that the top knight was the cantrip one (can't remember its name). That gave me the edge along with a Smithy and a Rogue to pick up the good cards that the knight trashed.

But really, to me it doesn't look like a kingdom where Smithy-BM would be dominant. I'm just not at a level (my goko rating is only a bit over 4000) where I can see the best strategy here. Since I have played this particular kingdom so many times I would love to hear a few expert opinions on it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:32:24 am by Blueswan »

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: How do I beat Smithy BM in this kingdom?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:05:19 am »

Have you tried building an engine based on squire/smithy?
I think I'd start chapel, get the engine going and throw in as many knights as I can afford. If you can play multiple per turn you should be able to trash enough of his silvers and golds.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:09:42 am »
+1

Squire/Storeroom/gardens looks strong

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:11:22 am »
+2

Against two bots playing Smithy BM only?

Things I would try -- Gardens rush with Squire, always choosing +2 Buys, and buying Gardens/Squire/Poor House/Copper.

Open Marauder/Chapel, prioritizing playing Chapel, and trashing everything, using Spoils to slingshot economy to Golds.

Trash down with Chapel and buy Squires and Poor Houses, never buying treasure. Once you get rid of your seven Copper, any hand with a Squire and two Poor Houses gets you a Province.

Basically, I think Squire is super important on this board, but you never mentioned it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:28:03 am »

I would definitly do a Squire Knights engine to trash his deck like crazy. If the opponents don't go for knights, you could be at a huge advantage by having all the different abilities (+card, actions, buys, VP, cantrip etc...), plus you'll be getting rid of enough of his cards that he won't be able to buy anything, and even if he does get ahead in provinces, you can catch up since he'll end up with a lot of green.

EDIT: And to the garden's rush, Knights would be too good against it by trashing the valuable Gardens.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:31:46 am »

Against two bots playing Smithy BM only?
No, just one bot! I'll edit my first post to make that clear.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 09:36:50 am »

Things I would try -- Gardens rush with Squire, always choosing +2 Buys, and buying Gardens/Squire/Poor House/Copper.
I didn't think of that. I used storeroom instead, but you're right, Squire/gardens looks stronger than storeroom/gardens.

Open Marauder/Chapel, prioritizing playing Chapel, and trashing everything, using Spoils to slingshot economy to Golds.
This I tried several variations of, but failed either do to lack of skill, lack of shuffle luck, or maybe the strategy isn't all that strong?

Trash down with Chapel and buy Squires and Poor Houses, never buying treasure. Once you get rid of your seven Copper, any hand with a Squire and two Poor Houses gets you a Province.
This looks really strong to me. Didn't think of it.

Basically, I think Squire is super important on this board, but you never mentioned it.
Actually, I bought Squires in the majority of my games, but I obviously wasn't using it properly.  :)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42:46 am »

As was pointed out in the marauder article thread, BM does not suffer THAT much from the first ruins. Plus marauder is a rather slow looter.

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:17:20 am »

As was pointed out in the marauder article thread, BM does not suffer THAT much from the first ruins. Plus marauder is a rather slow looter.

Yes, Chapel/Marauder into BM doesn't look so hot.
The other suggestions I like much more.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 11:04:25 am »

You are saying that it doesn't look much like a smithy deck but lets consider it more closely

- Marauder has a chance a smithy but gardens favor the big deck taking ruins
- Chapel decks can be slow starters and can then lose a slow game through gardens
- Knights and rogues are bad when attacking big money treasure decks
- Squires are going to be moderately poor for an engine here if they need to provide +actions and +buys

You are probably right in thinking the top knight can be good enough to make its own strategy. Otherwise I think the squire is the key. A big squire and rogues garden/duchy deck might work taking silvers. A chapel+squire deck going into poor houses might work too and it might need to be as simple as that, uncomplicated by drawing and attack cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.625 seconds with 21 queries.