Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Accursed Past  (Read 4710 times)

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Accursed Past
« on: May 15, 2012, 12:29:21 am »

Everyone Makes Mistakes!

One day you wake up, a poor man with only 7 coppers and stuck with 3 measly estates, and you decide to go out and make something of your life.  You see a caravan passing by, and you join it; hoping to find an oasis.  Unfortunately a witch sees you and is upset at you trying to take her valuable treasure and land!  She curses you, not just once, but ten times.  How unfortunate!

Always an opportunist, you trek on.  You try to rid yourself of the curses, but no matter what you do they continue to plague you.  First you head off to an island, hoping to abandon them there.  No such luck!  Next you get the crazy idea that you might try and develop them into something else, but alas you fail again.  You even try turning to religion, but the priest at the local chapel isn't even able to help.  Nothing can get rid of these curses!

Continuing on, you try to manage your misfortunes.  You see a man selling silver... it only costs 3 dollars.  What a deal!  You buy some, hoping that with wealth you will be able to overcome your past demons.  A man at a trading post offers silver as well, and soon you are one of the wealthiest men in your country.

You come to the ocean, and climb up a lighthouse to look out over it.  To your left you see a pirate ship, to your right a merchant ship.  You walk out to the ships and offer to pay out your hard earned money to the trader in exchange for a trip home.  They cheerfully accept your bag of gold and soon you are on your way!

You arrive back in your native land, and take the highway back home to see the princess waiting for you.  Aboard your trusty steed, you get back to see the cruel baron and your lovely princess locked in a passionate kiss.  Infuriated, you bring your followers to the duchy owned by the duke and his duchess and demand justice!  The duke agrees to help you out, and you begin to scheme your revenge.  You plot a big tournament where you will be able to defeat the baron, and soon the fairgrounds are set up!  Quickly approaching, you plan a masquerade for the night before, and your victory over the baron is all but assured!

__________________________________________________________________________________

Challenge:  After purchasing curses on your first 10 turns, the quickest to end the game via 3 piling is the winner!

Rules:  Your final deck MUST contain all 10 curses (AKA, they cannot be trashed).  Also, you must have at least 1 of each kingdom card (plus CSGEDP) in your final deck.  The three piles finished must be the curses (duh), the duke, and your choice of the third.  Also, you must gain the 5 prizes.

Kingdom:  It should be pretty obvious, but more than 10 kingdom cards are referenced in the story.  This is designed to create variety in the solutions.  Here's the breakdown of the kingdom to be used (non-colony):

Required (5): Tournament, Duke, Baron, Fairgrounds, Witch
Choice (5): Caravan, Oasis, Island, Develop, Trading Post, Lighthouse, Pirate Ship, Merchant Ship, Trader, Highway, Scheme, Duchess, Masquerade, Chapel

Deadline:  5/20/2012
Bonus:  Have the highest final point total!
Scoring: 3 first, 2 second, 1 third

Good luck, and hopefully this isn't too confusing or difficult :)

Edit:  I removed keeping all 10 curses as that was way too ridiculous... now only one must be saved for having one of all the cards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:34:42 am by Powerman »
A man on a mission.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Accursed Past
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:13:33 am »

Pirate Ship in a solo game?  Isn't that literally useless?

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:13:19 am »

Pirate Ship in a solo game?  Isn't that literally useless?

Haha, it is... I just wanted it in my story :P
A man on a mission.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:26:28 am »

I assume this challenge is still open? I want to try it out, it looks pretty ridiculous.

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:21 pm »
+1

Yes, no one has tried it yet :(  Don't know if it's too hard, or if nowooone likes me. lol
A man on a mission.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:36:19 pm »

I sent you an attempt earlier today, I hope you at least got that! It's a fun challenge, if anyone else wants to try it out.

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:13:53 pm »

There are still very few attempts!  I really think that there is the potential for a very quick solution, so send in a try :)
A man on a mission.

BaruMonkey

• Bishop
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:46:46 pm »

I've just sent in my official entry... after multiple rounds of forgetting to re-buy a trashed Copper, or to ever pick up one Fairgrounds, or discovering too late that I'd trashed my last Curse, or... >:(

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 09:13:24 pm »

I will post the results in about 48 hours, so if you want to get in a last second entry do it before then:)  Similar strategies are being used, but there are definite differences, and I think that as close as the top entries are there is a possibility of a faster entry.  But, results posted in 48 hours.
A man on a mission.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:20 pm »

I will post the results in about 48 hours, so if you want to get in a last second entry do it before then:)  Similar strategies are being used, but there are definite differences, and I think that as close as the top entries are there is a possibility of a faster entry.  But, results posted in 48 hours.

Suuuuuuure...  :P

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 07:01:58 pm »

Sorry, here they are!  :P

Inthird place is Asherky in 49 turns.  He gets most of his fuel from his lighthouses (which is the third pile he ends) but is slightly slower than the others.

In second place is Schneau in 39 turns.  He really focuses on tournaments which appear to be a good way to get money quickly.

And... the winner is BaruMonkey in 39 turns.   His notes on his plan were:
- If I didn't get a chapel before the first reshuffle, I restarted.
- If I didn't buy my 1st Caravan by turn 20, I restarted.
- Remembering to have one of each card at the end was a major pain in the butt.
- I chose a Caravan strategy because I needed draws for the Tournaments, the Chapels, and the Barons to all hit their target combo cards.
- From the tournament, get Trusty Steed first (mainly for the actions), then Princess (mainly for the buys). All other "prizes" just clog the deck.
- Two or three schemes help Trusty Steed to be more trustworthy whenever possible.
Although this is the same number of turns as Schneau, I give him first because he had more points and remembered to keep the curse! 
A man on a mission.

BaruMonkey

• Bishop
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 12:45:31 pm »

Woohoo!

I also didn't chapel the useless prizes :P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.036 seconds with 21 queries.