Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What cards are the most fun?  (Read 15324 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: What cards are the most fun?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 03:59:11 pm »

Mint. I'll have another platinum thank you, and another next turn, maybe the turn after as well.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 04:00:10 pm »

KC-Minting a platinum is one of the most satisfying things in all of Dominion.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

ksf_

• Steward
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 05:08:23 pm »

Bishop - Trashing, alt VP strategies, and my second favorite chess piece all rolled into one

Embargo - For the lulz

Forge - Great for the win rate by sucking in unsuspecting victims

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 05:49:00 pm »

Oh, Forge is awsome. I want a Province, so I will trash these two Sea Hags……and these 3 Curses and 5 Coppers as well.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 05:50:47 pm »
+2

Oh, Forge is awsome. I want a Province, so I will trash these two Sea Hags……and these 3 Curses and 5 Coppers as well.
How did you draw 11 cards in a sea hag slog?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 06:30:22 pm »

My favorite card is Tactician, so this gets an obligatory mention. Just drawing those 10-card hands is pretty awesome and I like the way it gives you +action on boards with no villages. Also, I like Double-Tac.

Fairgrounds is fairly awesome too. Trying to figure out which cards you'll have to buy and how to optimize those Scouts and Coppersmiths to get to 6PV Fairgrounds. They even manage to make Black Market seem like fun, which is quite something.

I love Apprentice because... I guess I like drawing big chunks of cards. It kind of feels like cheating... in a good way ^^.

Also, yeah, Forge is very cool. I'll turn those 3 silvers into a Platinum, and get rid of that curse btw, thank you very much.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 07:34:12 pm »

For a long time, Gardens was the hands-down answer here. There's a reason I have more Gardener achievements than anyone else. Then Hinterlands came out and Silk Road was newer, shinier, better. I've since cooled on both of them to some extent, so they're probably not my favourites anymore. But I still like them. Anyway, I give you a list of my favourite cards, along with some that I just like a lot more than an objective measure (or other people) would.

Monument. Man, you can do so much with this really simple card. Those VP chips do a LOT for you. Of course, bishop tends t outshine it in a lot of situations, but for a good while now, I've preferred monument. It's good in BM+it+cantrips, and it's good in lots of engines, 'cause it gives you a chance to catch up.

Workshop. Sure, it gets outclassed by ironworks like warehouse does by cellar, and yes I like Ironworks more, but lots of people like ironworks, and nobody likes workshop. And it's not just SR and Gardens rushes, people. It's great for all those engines where at least a couple of your key components (and, most villages do) cost $4 or less.

Ironworks. See above.

Horn of Plenty. I've never misevaluated a card worse than this one. Well, maybe saboteur in the very very 1st, 6-player game of dominion I ever played. But that was 1 game. This, this I thought was going to be all kinds of terrible when Cornucopia came out. But not only can it play non-terminal ironworks for you (hey, it at least gets a silver most of the time), it's really nice in lots of engines and LOTS of cases where you can go mega-turn. No other card lets you realize how many cantrips are out there. Or, in general, makes spy so useful.

Courtyard. It's so nice in big money, and if you've got an engine, it's really nice there too (just not SO nice as the ONLY card-draw).

Governor. Not because I think 'woo, governor' every time it comes up. But because I think like really NOBODY I've played/talked to understands it real well. Maybe Donald does...

Merchant Ship. If you read the secret histories, you see that they added +buy to wharf to make it better in comparison to this card! A very underrated card, I think, its very often a better source of coins than gold. It works pretty well in BM land, and in engines, too. The duration thing really helps it out. Well, I'd wax more on this but... I think I'm going to write an article on it soon....

Steward. You know, I think this card isn't super-well understood either. It's pretty darn strong. The flexibility gives you good options pretty much all around. It's a GREAT card in engines, and really amazing with KC. Oh, ok, that's true of most actions...

Throne Room. Whereas KC feels degenerate, this card feels pretty natural and fun to work in as just another cog in your engines. It's so rare to have a card that a lot of times, you're like 'ooh, gimme silver' or at least 'why do I want this over the other, more pressing components?' but others, you're like 'forget grand market, I need more throne rooms!'

Margrave. Just because people don't understand that you typically don't want more than one or two of these in your engines, if you can use say smithies instead. The attacks anti-stack, people!

Mandarin. Yup, love this one a lot, too. Yes, it anti-cycles you, and yes, terminal gold is not so flashy for a 5-cost (no really... think of how many 5-costs you want more than non-terminal gold... and how many of them are also terminal), BUT it can play a really nice role in lots of situations. And it has some collision prevention (I had to type that like 3 times for it to not come out collision detection...) built-in. And the buy effect (I guess it's a gain effect, isn't it?) can be pretty darned useful as well.

Haggler. Another hard-to-evaluate card. Can be really good when there's lots of stuff you want at different price-points. Which looks to say engine. But it also lets BM not lose steam by playing a kind of hoard for you.

Lighthouse. I never understand how people love fishing villages so much on boards where they have no terminals, (or one terminal and it's non-draw), and let are so meh on this card, even when there's attacks.

Moat. You know, blocking some attacks is pretty important. And in an engine, draw two cards isn't THAT bad... particularly when those curses would bust you, or when you have a zillion extra actions floating around.

Herbalist. You know, that treasure-topdeck is pretty nice fairly often. Even when it isn't, you need a +buy? This isn't the worst you could do.

Wharf. What can I say? It's the best card for big money (oh yeah, cursers :P) in the game, and one of if not the best card for engines. It just does everything you want. Everyone knows it's ridiculously powerful, and yet... I STILL think it's underrated. Heck, you know how people will somehow list cards that are single-card engines (minion is most notable)? THIS is basically a single-card engine. BM Wharf Actually plays almost like an engine - it blurs the line between engine and standard BM, at any rate - all in a single card. It can make coppersmith good, it makes outpost potentially quite good, it gets you to think 'man, I'm overdrawing my deck here... should I grab some more coppers?' And it's so adaptable. Your opponent building up a bit? Fine, you can play that game. 8 is now wharf+silver (or wharf+village) instead of a province. They preparing to lightning rush some stuff? I can dip into provinces sooner than normal to counter that too. And my deck won't be totally crippled for it.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 07:59:52 pm »

By cost

$2 - Crossroads - It's fun to not have a bunch or green dead in your hand. Even better when there are either Action or Treasure Victory cards.
$3 - Oracle - I love the early cycling and enjoy that it gets overlooked by so many. If there is nothing good at 4 this is nearly automatic, even over a second Silver.
$4 - Monument - I like long games and being able to spam Monuments often means a longer game with more tactical choices to be made along the way
$5 - Contraband - Especially with low priced engine components. There is little in Dominion mores satisfying to me than watching someone stumble for the correct card to ban, especially if there are multiple good options (Nobles and Grand Market are especially good for this)
$6+ - Harem - I think really underrated. It's presence often causes the difference in BM-Province games
$P - Familiar - I know most hate the luck factor, but I enjoy using alternate openings other than the standard Silver/Potion to get to it.

Honorable Mention: Haven, Menagerie, Silk Road, Tactician, Mandarin, Nobles, Apothecary

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 08:16:42 pm »
+2

Menagerie is my #1 choice.  It's a crazy-cheap crazy-powerful engine card which looks like it's full of random payouts, but actually really rewards careful deck construction and hand management shenanigans: and its mere presence will often make marginal cards more relevant.  Not always worth buying, but usually worth it.

Other favorites include Vineyard (the one alt-VP card that really shines in hardcore engines), Bishop (not just for Golden Decks; the most subtle of the VP chip cards and one which is very often an important buy but also sometimes a big trap because of the friendly interaction), Watchtower (so versatile but yet not overpowered; I love me some "draw up to X" engines in conjunction with Festival and Hamlet, two more of my favorites), and...um... I enjoy the occasional times I can shock my opponents by winning with Transmute. :P
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:23:56 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 08:18:13 pm »

Menagerie is my #1 choice.
This.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 08:34:48 pm »

I've found one of my favorite cards is the Ill-Gotten Gains. Lots of players find the Duchy rush of the Ill-Gotten Gains strategy to be very annoying, but I think it only shows the wonderful balance Dominion possesses. Ill-Gotten Gains is competing with Duchy. No one wants to buy the last Ill-Gotten Gains because it signifies the start of the Duchy race. No one can start buying Duchies until the race begins, lest they misfire and be stuck with Duchies and Curses. At a table of players who understand the rammifications of Ill-Gotten Gains' pile emptying, the Ill-Gotten Gains can become a wildly important centerpiece of the table and exists alongside Contraband as one of the few single cards that creates a mind game on its own. Plus it is almost as funny to watch as a set of players unwilling to empty the City pile.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 08:36:04 pm »

Man, so many cards I love...

Chapel - Trashing those initial cards is so satisfying, even to this day.  Nothing can compare with the epiphany I had the day I realized it was actually a good idea, and suddenly Dominion got a million times deeper.

Library - I've played a few games on Board Game Arena lately for the lulz (lulz ranked 38th presently) and I have to say that combos like Festival/Library are just hilariously fun once you get them rolling.  I've come around on this one in a big way, though I admit I'm not practiced with it beyond some really basic strategy.

Courtyard - Not much to say here, the topdecking lets you plan ahead and the drawing helps your current turn.

Duke - My favorite alternate VP strategy

Embargo - I love cards that give you control over the psychology of other players, and nothing represents it quite like an Embargo in this game.  It's also great against newer players who love them some Alchemists.

Haven - Tucking away cards without them taking up space in my initial 5 cards?  Yes please

Lighthouse - An early favorite of mine, still my favorite defense card and the cash makes those $7 hands not crop up quite as much.

Navigator - One of my favorite openings if the board allows it.  Cycling 5 cards at a time is so, so underrated.  I should really buy this more often than I do.

Tactician - I think we have all gotten some jollies out of this one.

Apprentice - This card can pull you out of some terrible situations late game.  Trash that Mountebank in desperation, get a Colony hand with little to no fuss.  I like that it cleans things up without slowing you down.

Apothecary - So many applications, often very complex.  Playing it IRL is annoying, I've found, but aside from that I love the effects of this card.

Watchtower - I've come around on Watchtower.  It's versatile; all of the effects it has can be utilized well, often on the same board.

Venture - Venture chains are too much fun.

Menagerie - The most entertaining easy engine to build, bar none.

Harvest - Third to Navigator and Oracle as the most underrated card in Dominion, IMO.  Gold's often better, but in the right set you will really appreciate discarding 4 cards and getting back to your good ones.

Jester - My favorite attack to play, mainly in multiplayer.

Oracle - My favorite drawing card as it prevents your draw from being completely blind, and the attack is a nice cherry on top.

Tunnel - My favorite card in the game so far, even though it's often a shiny trap.  That esoteric reaction is just too much fun.

Trader - Running out Silver, blocking Mountebanks, what's not to love?

Inn - Buying this when no cards are left in your draw pile = most satisfying buy in the game.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 08:56:39 pm »

In no particular order:

Menagerie - wonderful engine component with even light trashing.

Masquerade - One of my favorites from before I even knew how strong it was.

Courtyard - Ditto.

Tactician - Double tactician decks are my favorite things ever. I try to make them work way more often than I should.

Vineyard - My favorite alt VP.

Hurr

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 11:32:15 pm »

Black Market, obviously. But that doesn't really count. So Minion, not close. Can't believe nobody's mentioned it yet.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 12:36:00 am »
+2

Menagerie - love it, basically what chwite said

Apprentice - I've had some awesome wins with this one--it's very satisfying to play an Apprentice game where your final deck is just going nowhere, it did it's job just long enough. Also I've lost some Apprentice games pretty badly recently; I like that it's something of a challenge to use optimally.

Bishop - it's just great, has saved my bacon more than once

Scheme - being a player who loves engines, I was super pumped about this card when Hinterlands first leaked

Remake - drawing this with 2 Estates is just amazing both for your deck and how you feel about the game. I've actually begun to think it may be a better opener than Chapel (obv disclaimer: board dependent, but usually better)

Worker's Village - my favorite of the 'vanilla' cards; every engine needs a few different things: actions, the right combo of draw/trashing, and some sort of engine payload--an attack you repeatedly lay down, or lots of cash with +buy, or both. (sadly I have built engines that end up producing way more than $8 on boards w/o +buy or attacks) WV gives you the actions you need to run the engine in the first place, and +buy to guarantee your engine has some payload. Also one of Peddler's best friends.

Duke - probably my favorite alt-VP. Lots of fun, and I think watching my opponent buy Dukes worth 1 or 0 VP is one of the most hilarious things ever.

Ambassador - my favorite attack card. I see some players say that it just leads to Estate tennis with no skill, and I very strongly disagree. It's beautiful to be on the winning side of this, and oh so painful to be on the losing side.

And some more I want to at least mention...
Border Village, Wharf, Margrave, Conspirator, Oasis, Mining Village, Upgrade, Lookout, Scrying Pool, Hamlet, Tunnel, Haggler, Trader, Stables, Lab, Envoy, Governor, and for one that's in the lower power tiers, Explorer (that said I do think it's generally underrated)
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 01:01:59 am »
+1

Remake - drawing this with 2 Estates is just amazing both for your deck and how you feel about the game. I've actually begun to think it may be a better opener than Chapel (obv disclaimer: board dependent, but usually better)

Oh, I've thought that Remake is usually better than Chapel for awhile now.  Basically, a strong majority of the time you want to open Chapel with a $2 or $3 (say, Silver) rather than another $4 (or $5), I prefer the Remake instead.

Ambassador - my favorite attack card. I see some players say that it just leads to Estate tennis with no skill, and I very strongly disagree. It's beautiful to be on the winning side of this, and oh so painful to be on the losing side.

This sounds a lot like my opinion of Tournament- which is a high-skill card (albeit one which aggravates first-person advantage), and not not NOT the luckfest most people think it is.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:10:00 am by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 01:13:30 am »

#5: Courtyard
#4: Masquerade
#3: Monument
#2: Silk Road
#1: Hoard

i like big money and i cannot lie
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 01:18:17 am »

I know a lot of people will really disagree with me, here are my favorites, in order:

Swindler: I know a lot of people here hate it, it's definitely my favorite. Not only because it's a strong attack, but it forces you to improvise, instead of just deciding all your moves from turn one. Wait, my opponent swindled my caravan into a salvager? Or my silver into a chancellor? How can I incorporate these into my strategy? Also, just recently in the semis of the tournament I set up, my opponent swindled one of my $5 cards into a duchy, and it ended up winning me the game. To me, it's one of the most tactically interesting cards.

Bishop: Used to be one of my least favorite cards. My opponent gets to trash too? That sounds terrible! The VP's are really powerful, though, and I like it.

King's Court: It just makes the game so much more interesting. To be honest, this usually puts me at a disadvantage, since I'm not as good at building engines as most players here.

Minion: I usually like it a lot more when there are more pieces to go with it, like this game in the last isodom: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201204/04/game-20120404-152355-a46fa4b7.html. I enjoy being able to go through my whole deck without trashing and building a large engine. I know it's situational and all, but I kind of enjoy the rush strategy, and it isn't AS luck dependent as Fool's Gold (which I am incidentally very lucky with, as it's my highest win probabily when available), and doesn't end the game as quickly as IGG.

Silk Road: My favorite alt-VP. I love how much more powerful they get as you go through the game. I know gardens is similar, and SR is probably less powerful than Gardens in most games where you want to go alt-VP, but I just hardly ever have success with Gardens.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 01:19:56 am »

For a long time, Gardens was the hands-down answer here. There's a reason I have more Gardener achievements than anyone else.

because you've played more games than just about anyone else? you have more gardener achievements than me, but i pick them up at a much higher rate. 148 gardeners in 259 (57%) garden games vs your 277 in 788 (35%) games. i'm only a mid 30's player but garden boards hold my 5th highest win rate.

anyways, gardens are my favorite and to me the most fun. why would you ever want to shoot for sleek engines and clever combos when you can have a massive, bloated, and unfocused deck immune to almost any attack you can throw at it?  i like the intricate strategy and timing of the rushes, but i also like watching players flounder trying to empty provinces in a drawn out game.  so many engines can fall to pieces because players are used to designing engines aiming for 4-5 provinces.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 09:57:40 am »

For a long time, Gardens was the hands-down answer here. There's a reason I have more Gardener achievements than anyone else.

because you've played more games than just about anyone else? you have more gardener achievements than me, but i pick them up at a much higher rate. 148 gardeners in 259 (57%) garden games vs your 277 in 788 (35%) games. i'm only a mid 30's player but garden boards hold my 5th highest win rate.

anyways, gardens are my favorite and to me the most fun. why would you ever want to shoot for sleek engines and clever combos when you can have a massive, bloated, and unfocused deck immune to almost any attack you can throw at it?  i like the intricate strategy and timing of the rushes, but i also like watching players flounder trying to empty provinces in a drawn out game.  so many engines can fall to pieces because players are used to designing engines aiming for 4-5 provinces.

I have 277 Gardeners out of my 10,507 isotropic games. That's about 2.64% of my games, compared with the roughly (CR's achievement page has somewhat of a bug in it; or at least it doesn't match the player pages) 1.62% of games for the total population. Further, I lead only a couple other categories (One Trick Pony, Mr. Green Genes) despite my second-most games played. I think the thing is, I like gardening, but I like winning more. And I find it increasingly difficult to do both. Because there's lots of ways to beat rushes. A good player isn't going to simply play their solo game to grab 4-5 provinces and stall out hard. They're going to build the engine to grab the 8 that they need. And when there isn't an anti-rush strategy that's any good, high-level opponents are probably going to fight you for them. So also I'm getting it a lot less recently, and as you can see a quarter or so of my games have been in the last 2 months, so...
Which is not to say I'm the most hard-core gardener, because I'm not. But I'm sorta up there.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 10:26:57 am »

I have 277 Gardeners out of my 10,507 isotropic games. That's about 2.64% of my games, compared with the roughly (CR's achievement page has somewhat of a bug in it; or at least it doesn't match the player pages) 1.62% of games for the total population. Further, I lead only a couple other categories (One Trick Pony, Mr. Green Genes) despite my second-most games played. I think the thing is, I like gardening, but I like winning more. And I find it increasingly difficult to do both. Because there's lots of ways to beat rushes. A good player isn't going to simply play their solo game to grab 4-5 provinces and stall out hard. They're going to build the engine to grab the 8 that they need. And when there isn't an anti-rush strategy that's any good, high-level opponents are probably going to fight you for them. So also I'm getting it a lot less recently, and as you can see a quarter or so of my games have been in the last 2 months, so...
Which is not to say I'm the most hard-core gardener, because I'm not. But I'm sorta up there.

oh i don't doubt that you are a hard-core gardener.  i was just saying that you lead that achievement largely because you have a bunch of games played on me.  i go for gardens at some level every time, and we differ in that i am totally ok with losing when i swing for it on some garden boards. i obviously do care about my rating, but to me it is more fun to play gardens (or to occasionally completely ignore things like familiar or IGG) just to see if i can pull it off. 

i have a nice win rate with them, but yeah, i agree that you can't get away with these tricks as often against most of the top tier of players. but even then a lot of it will still come down to the board, your opponent, and some level of game theory.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 11:11:25 am »

How did you draw 11 cards in a sea hag slog?

Tacician.
This happened to me once
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 21 queries.