Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 334981 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 2 UNDERWAY)
« Reply #1675 on: June 19, 2012, 03:48:07 pm »

Jo, I've just about had it with you getting on every single bandwagon that doesn't have your name at the top....

hey now, I didn't vote Axxle2, did I? Nor Glooble. I have a few town reads.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: June 19, 2012, 03:48:24 pm »

The thing is ... I'm such an easy target. And since I became an easy target, pops hasn't touched me. He's all but insisted I'm town. What is up with that if he's scum?

Well, consider this: Has your crazy given *everybody* here reason to suspect you (Just nod your head yes here)? If you ARE town, who would KNOW that besides you? Hmm? And if you got lynched for your crazy, and *viola!* came up town, who would look good having predicted it? Hmm...

That said, I'm still not convinced you're town.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: June 19, 2012, 03:51:55 pm »

The thing is ... I'm such an easy target. And since I became an easy target, pops hasn't touched me. He's all but insisted I'm town. What is up with that if he's scum?

Well, consider this: Has your crazy given *everybody* here reason to suspect you (Just nod your head yes here)? If you ARE town, who would KNOW that besides you? Hmm? And if you got lynched for your crazy, and *viola!* came up town, who would look good having predicted it? Hmm...

Honestly, I'm appreciative that your even still considering it. But there's a double standard here, kinda. You say pops is targeting you cause he knows I'm town, you say he's NOT targeting me because he knows I'm town. Either you can't have it both ways, or it's not much of an argument.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 19, 2012, 03:51:59 pm »

Jo, I've just about had it with you getting on every single bandwagon that doesn't have your name at the top....

I can't make heads or tails of Jo this game. I liked him better when I knew his role. :(

Then again, when I knew his role was TOWN, this was not how he played. But then, this is a broken record. I just don't know what to do with him here. I'm sorry to say that my biggest D1 regret was not lynching him then, because now I feel stuck with him... not wanting to lynch for Policy, but having a hard time chalking anything he does now up to nothing more than more crazy.

That being said, he HAS had a span today of decent posts. Still... Ugh.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: June 19, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »

Honestly, I'm appreciative that your even still considering it. But there's a double standard here, kinda. You say pops is targeting you cause he knows I'm town, you say he's NOT targeting me because he knows I'm town. Either you can't have it both ways, or it's not much of an argument.

Me'n'You, D2, M-II. I used you as a friend so if you got flipped (There were 3 votes on you of 4 needed to lynch) as town, it would vindicate me, and make my case against Kuildeous look great. It DOES work both ways as Mafia.

Mafia Record:

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: June 19, 2012, 03:55:28 pm »

Anyway, I think we could use a little more sheeping if we actually want this day to end. And I, who has lost all credibility, may as well be the one to do it.

He/him

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 19, 2012, 03:58:47 pm »

hey now, I didn't vote Axxle2, did I? Nor Glooble. I have a few town reads.
nor did you vote for Galz

Unvote

Currently reevaluating the Pops situation.  Will return with an answer.  My gut says that we want to lynch someone else that seems mafia that will give us more information about other players, ie Glooble.

PEdit: I strongly dislike that Jotheonah is mentioning how much he messed up Day 1 and that he's lost all credibility in almost every friggin post.  I'm still fine with a policy lynch on him.
Anyway, I think we could use a little more sheeping if we actually want this day to end. And I, who has lost all credibility, may as well be the one to do it.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 19, 2012, 03:59:16 pm »

Galzria, there is something to the fact that Jo in this game and Jo in MII represent by far the biggest difference in play among any repeat players in our games of mafia. I was terrified of Jo in MII. Volt was a superior arguer, and Insomniac knew I was mafia... but Jo was the only one who could put together a great argument AND was sort of on the right track about me being mafia. He was truly a player to be reckoned with, and a huge asset to the town. In this game, he's insane.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 19, 2012, 04:08:00 pm »

My gut says that we want to lynch someone else that seems mafia that will give us more information about other players, ie Glooble.

Can someone explain to me how: given the twinclaim, that Glooble is a better lynch than Jonah?  If Glooble is Mafia and Jonah is not, I'll drive up to Boston and punch him in the nads.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 19, 2012, 04:08:19 pm »

PEdit: I strongly dislike that Jotheonah is mentioning how much he messed up Day 1 and that he's lost all credibility in almost every friggin post.  I'm still fine with a policy lynch on him.

Galzria, there is something to the fact that Jo in this game and Jo in MII represent by far the biggest difference in play among any repeat players in our games of mafia. I was terrified of Jo in MII. Volt was a superior arguer, and Insomniac knew I was mafia... but Jo was the only one who could put together a great argument AND was sort of on the right track about me being mafia. He was truly a player to be reckoned with, and a huge asset to the town. In this game, he's insane.

I agree, and I know Dsell and C.F. also feel (at least to a degree) the same way. Dsell left with his vote ON Jo after all. Axxle, do you think that lynching Jo would provide us much information? If he comes up Mafia, well, great. But if he comes up Town, what does it give us to work with?

Robz, as you're also up on my list of town reads with C.F. and O, I put the same question to you. What do we learn by lynching Jo (for Policy, or because his play HAS been so different) if he DOES come back town? A mislynch here isn't the end of the world, but I would really rather avoid it. I can agree that Jo has been... well, he's looked bad this game. And maybe he WAS trying something new. But it stands as SUCH a stark contrast to how he played town in M-II, that believing his claim is a tough pill to swallow. So I probably COULD be talked into lynching him (I've voted him once already earlier in this game day), but I would want to make sure the merits are stronger than the consequences.

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 19, 2012, 04:09:18 pm »

Damn! Open ended quote! And I can't go back and fix it! Just respond with an @, instead of quoting me.

Mafia Record:

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 19, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »

I hoped Galzria's case would provide a clearer look at his head than this, but I see mixed signals.  Some of his accusations are plausibly legitimately misguided.  Some of it is so much of a reach that it sounds manufactured, like the accusation that I deliberately avoided quoting in order to make my iso hard to read. 
Then some of it is so illogical that it concerns me how he can glide over his own fallacy.  He traced a path where I should want him lynched, because he made a gambit post.  I can follow that and all, but when you finish the calculating area of a pentagon and get 133 degrees farenheit, you should check your answer and make sure it's reasonable.  At a fundamental level, townies don't want to lynch townies and scum want to lynch townies.  So a refusal to lynch a town aligned player is .. evidence of a town wincon.  The only way to twist it otherwise is for Galzria to declare that he knows my skill value is less than needed to get an accurate gut read on him in spite of the gambit.  He has no way of knowing that. 
The fallacy of the argument lends itself to suspicion because you can trace along it more easily if Galzria is scum.  For instance, my desire to lynch Galzria should be GAMBIT - TOWNTELLS.  If Galzria knows towntells should be zero, it's easier for him to ignore the term and have an otherwise valid argument that I should want to lynch him.

That was a whole lot of explication but isn't necessarily proportional to that concern.  I was just trying to be clear.  Overall Galzria really isn't someone I want to lynch today anymore, I think I can benefit too much by continuing to sift through D3 posting, and he's not scummy enough for me to feel a D2 Galzria lynch is sufficiently accurate.

#1: Stop right there! That's a foul!:

Referee is a brand of IIoA which is already a little black book tell.  So.

Wait! Before I continue, I would like to point out that Pops rarely EVER quotes. His posts are VERY hard to read out of the context of the conversation happening around them. This is a blunting tactic used to make it harder to go back and make a strong case against him, because you can't always tell to whom he was referring, or why. So I'll do my best here to provide some context (as best I'm able), so that you don't get lost.

The above quote speaks for itself however. It's something he loves to claim others are doing (he used it as the backbone to his case on Axxle), but indeed is something Pops himself has subtly (at times) tried to do himself. Here's a sampling of Pops telling everybody else how to play. Again, most without context (as he was sure not to provide any):

First off, hypocrisy is not a scumtell.  Lots of people think it is, and I don't think I've ever talked any of them out of it, but it's not.  If two of the first four people to post in the thread are confirmed to be scum, and I was one of those 4 people, it is totally and utterly legitimate for me to point at another individual in the group and say "there's an unusually high probability you are scum".  In the same way if that group is the group of people who have said "mafia" instead of "town" accidentally or the group of people who says "I'm going to nightkill you", a town vig or stuttering townie in those groups can totally and justifiably use that as a tell.

Second off, the apparent hypocrisy arose out of poor wording and miscommunication.  About half the time I call the stuff I call refereeing "narrating", and I think maybe that conveys what I mean more.  I meant referee in the sense that they are moving things along in a neutral way, "hey take your two free throws", "ok time to flip a coin for overtime", not that there is some set of rules the person is enforcing.  I've never referred to Axxle's only instance of "rule enforcing", posting the scumhunting article, as being a reason I wanted to lynch him. 

I finish with those two last because it's something that's been said in almost every Mafia thread to date. It's good play, right? I mean, who cares about how scummy somebody plays, as long as we lynch Mafia, not Scum. The problem is, the way Pops uses this is as a defense. He's basically saying "Yes, I'm playing like scum. Scummy scum. Scummiest scum. But it's ok, because as long as you don't lynch me, we'll be good!"

"Lynch Mafia, Not Scum" is not a defense. It's an excuse. It's an excuse to play any way you wish, and not have to justify it. There is VERY little Scummier than that.
This is more miscommunication, I thought the timing of my chanting of the saying would have conveyed the meaning, "lynch mafia, not the players in the game you wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator with", but apparently it didn't, and the saying is not ubiquitous here at all.  I agree that if your interpretation of the word scum were correct it'd be absolutely fallacious and silly.
Furthermore, when called out on his Referee behavior, and the use of his "little black book" to call foul or get tells on everybody, he came up with this beauty of a hedge:

The tells don't always work.  A fullhouse doesn't always win.  Just makes good odds.

When it's pointed out that the above quote is absolutely NOTHING but hedge, Pops goes for broke:

Idk what hedging is you folk will have to explain it to me.  I've never heard of it before so I can't own or disown the behavior.
I know what hedging a bet is.  The term is not used on mafiascum, though "fencesitting" is used a lot.  I can understand the analogy without being totally sure what it means.  Much like the failure referee analogy. 
Hedging as it's used here is not fencesitting, though I thought it might be and thus the answer I sought was useful to me.  Hedging here means divesting yourself of responsibility for a lynch more so than staying in a state where you can pick either of two wagons based on which is popular(fence sitting).  (now that I've defined it, try to forget it, I don't think it's a scumtell)

#2: Why won't this vote STICK!?!?:

Unfortunately, voting analysis is more complicated than counting on your fingers.  Quantity and quality both matter, and my suspicions have been genuine, not really seeking the most viable wagon I could possibly start. 

This is arguably the least important of the 3 points, but if you willfully play to add little value to the game, you deserve to get lynched. This is a behavior thing, and unlike above, is a "I don't like the way they've played" argument more than anything else. He has admitted to being capable of playing better. Saying more. Adding more discussion to the conversation. Every time he's questioned about it though, he just turns the other way. "I didn't want the lurkers to get bogged down, so I've only been posting 1 liners"

Playing sub-optimally never helps the town. Ever. Holding back, or being obscure for no reason, causing suspicion and stirring the pot just to "see what happens" without giving a reason or following up with your radical claims do nothing useful. All it does is make it harder for the town to actually get decent reads. If this is town play, it's not town play I want in my town. If it's Mafia play, well then it's excusable - but still not wanted in my town.

Lynching players because they aren't valuable townies doesn't hold a candle to lynching players more likely to be scum.  You probably know that though, just, the confirmation bias is strong with this one.
I never deliberately played sub-optimally in the thread.  Keeping players happy, motivated, and kept up with the thread improves lynch accuracy.  Furthermore, superposting blends players with actual real lives and scum lurkers together, usually with the net result that both get full day 1 pass, which is not good.  I played in a way I thought best for the town.  And yes, much of my jerkness has been trying to get reads.  But not the "you'll get nothing and like it" post.  I just really like saying that.
In all, the evidence I believe adds up to Pops being Mafia (no sir, not scum, but Mafia). I'm willing to risk my neck to prove it, but I have no reservations in casting my Vote: Popsofctown at this time.
You DO find me to be scum, but hopefully after some thought you'll know I'm not mafia ;)

@Robz: I regret the magnitude of my day 1 play, but not the direction.  I went a little too far and hogged too much D1 spotlight with my extended wagon, which didn't generate much information because it was full of towns (as far as I could tell)
I probably should have gone "good guy" a little bit earlier in the thread.  And Throne Room my Fortune Teller so I'd know that theorel was going to get NKed and Opal was getting replaced so posting wouldn't have done much actual harm.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 19, 2012, 04:10:57 pm »

why would you punch glooble for solid scum play?  That's not very nice.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 19, 2012, 04:12:14 pm »

@Galz (p1684)

I agree that lynching J (if town) doesn't reveal much.  I would be much more in favor with

A. Lynching Pops - and then you if pops is town
B. Lynching you - and then I don't know who if you are town.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 19, 2012, 04:14:26 pm »

I guess I choose b? >_<

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 19, 2012, 04:16:33 pm »

I agree, and I know Dsell and C.F. also feel (at least to a degree) the same way. Dsell left with his vote ON Jo after all. Axxle, do you think that lynching Jo would provide us much information? If he comes up Mafia, well, great. But if he comes up Town, what does it give us to work with?
If J comes up town, I would consider Glooble town.  I think mafia-Glooble would have been fine being linked with J-town since if mafia-Glooble was lynched he'd take J-town down with him, and if J-town is lynched we'd trust mafia-Glooble more. 

Damn! Open ended quote! And I can't go back and fix it! Just respond with an @, instead of quoting me.
I am skilled with quote-fu (also I preview my posts most of the time to verify)

PEdit: reading Pops wall-o-text soon.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 19, 2012, 04:19:13 pm »

interesting thing about pops post is how he refuted Galzria while backing away from accusing Galzria, which is just what Galzria said he would do. do with that what you will.

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 19, 2012, 04:21:52 pm »

why would you punch glooble for solid scum play?  That's not very nice.

I just view claiming out side of game information as being somewhat unsporting.  If they are both mafia - well mafia lies, and good for him, and if we policy lynch J, then we need to explore this possibility if J flips mafia.

If Glooble is mafia, he doesn't need to do anything to come to innocent J's defense.  He knows J is innocent, and could just let him die.  I see no reason to defend J with a big "call attention to myself" twinclaim, unless it's a complicated mafia plan to look innocentish, and its unfair because its information that the rest of us don't have.  Hence - ballpunch. 

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 19, 2012, 04:24:08 pm »

If Glooble is mafia, he doesn't need to do anything to come to innocent J's defense.  He knows J is innocent, and could just let him die.  I see no reason to defend J with a big "call attention to myself" twinclaim, unless it's a complicated mafia plan to look innocentish, and its unfair because its information that the rest of us don't have.  Hence - ballpunch.
He was already being questioned for being too buddy-buddy with J, which is a valid reason to twinclaim.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 19, 2012, 04:34:18 pm »

I think a pops lynch would be hugely informative right now. And I just, I find it scummy that pops is insisting on his town read on Galzria, even while pointing out things that he says are big stretches, that don't strike me as big stretches at all. I don't get that inconsistency.

And the rest of the defense, I just don't find that convincing. pops's posts have marked him out as a smart guy. But his defenses are all about him not getting something or misreading or misunderstanding something and they're just very weaselly defenses that don't get at the heart of the matter.  This is sort of the post I would expect out of mafiapops under pressure.  He's too smart to get agitated and emotional, but he strayed a little too far to the other extreme, too calm and together and unconcerned.

Vote: popsofctown

If he flips town, at least we'll all have learned something. If he flips scum we'll have learned something AND we'll have lynched scum. If he flips SK, we'll have learned nothing, but that's almost always the case, so c'est la vie.

He/him

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: June 19, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »

ooh, ooh, i know this one!  Hedging!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: June 19, 2012, 04:39:58 pm »

Well we wouldn't want to be accused of that now would we? Let me make it clear: I am voting for pops because I believe him to be mafia.

That said, if he's town, we'll learn stuff.

He/him

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 19, 2012, 04:40:51 pm »

And Throne Room my Fortune Teller so I'd know that theorel was going to get NKed and Opal was getting replaced so posting wouldn't have done much actual harm.

Everyone knows that throned fortune tellers have no more fortune telling capability than a single fortune teller.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: June 19, 2012, 04:41:39 pm »

And Throne Room my Fortune Teller so I'd know that theorel was going to get NKed and Opal was getting replaced so posting wouldn't have done much actual harm.

Everyone knows that throned fortune tellers have no more fortune telling capability than a single fortune teller.

Sometimes player three forgets to reveal his moat the second time.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:16 pm »

Grr, okay. Scratch that. UNVOTE: GLOOBLE.

VOTE: JOTHEONAH

Be zany/make mistakes/feign apathy/get quiet/accuse/vote/repeat/feign apathy/accuse/vote/repeat/feign apathy/accuse/vote/repeat
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.