Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 334997 times)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I'm watching Axxle too, and have requested (in my post at #807) player opinions on Galzria's post at #760.  I think Galz may be on to something, but apparently no one else does, though echoed my request in your post at 854. It seems small, but small is all I've got, because the things that are BIG indicators (Jo's comment about self voting) inklings are all I have to go on at my skill level.

Are you trying to antagonize RobZ again? (emphasis mine in quote).

That said I am also Axxle suspicious.  In the interest of seeing where this goes:

Unvote

Vote: Axxle

He is allegedly in favor of quick voting J and getting on with life per #754.  I've just gone through his posts - and I see... almost nothing.  I don't even really agree with Galzria that #754 puts him strongly out of line with his previous request for game meat vs. mafia theory.  Apart from a helpful article, his posts are mostly 1-2 liners offering little in the way of things to call him out on.

Similar to DSell accusations, he's gotten involved with the Pops and J bandwagons - even voting twice on J for emphasis.

Then he damn near immediately backed off this morning when it started to look like J wasn't going to be lynched, and we were starting to take a serious look at how that divided the town.  If he felt strongly enough to double vote for J, why back off so suddenly?  If DSell is making him nervous - why not vote for him?

I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile

In the interest of seeing where this goes:

This feels like the 5th or 6th time I've seen this (it might only be the second, but its certainly at least the second).

There's nothing inherently wrong with the statement as long as you also recognize that voting makes the statement "I am happy with player _X_ getting lynched tonight".

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile

@Grujah, you got anything to add?

On what exactly? Jo? Generally who I consider scummy?

(Also, your last few posts give me big townie read, unlike before.)

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

In the interest of seeing where this goes:

This feels like the 5th or 6th time I've seen this (it might only be the second, but its certainly at least the second).

There's nothing inherently wrong with the statement as long as you also recognize that voting makes the statement "I am happy with player _X_ getting lynched tonight".

I disagree strongly with that statement.  The person casting a hammer vote is saying that.  I'm interested in seeing how quickly a bandwagon develops - what the other players think about the vote, who else votes, and the discussion that occurs as the # of votes changes.

When we have a discussion about J after he's received 6 votes, that's a very focused and different discussion than we have if everyone just says "Hey - I'm a little suspicious of X"

We're @ 2 votes on Axxle (out of 8).  Voting for him isn't saying "I'm happy with him getting lynched" - unlike say - Day 3 of Mafia II - where even 1 wrong vote was game ending. 

Just in case I'm not being clear.... with my vote I am saying

I suspect him enough to be willing to vote for him.  As of this moment, I think he has a greater than average chance of being mafia, and I'd like to see how the rest of the town feels.  Depending on the reaction of the rest of the town, I reserve the right to unvote as appropriate.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Damnit.  The number 8 followed by a parenthesis is apparently auto emoted.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I'm watching Axxle too, and have requested (in my post at #807) player opinions on Galzria's post at #760.  I think Galz may be on to something, but apparently no one else does, though echoed my request in your post at 854. It seems small, but small is all I've got, because the things that are BIG indicators (Jo's comment about self voting) inklings are all I have to go on at my skill level.

Are you trying to antagonize RobZ again? (emphasis mine in quote).
I'm unconcerned about Robz's issues with my being a newb, or with my commenting on same.  Robz knows how to vote for me, and I've reminded him he's welcome to do so.  Thanks for giving me a platform to remind him again.

And for the record, in the post you quoted, I spoke of skill level, not game experience.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Besides, I feel like this is my 3rd game.  I wasted the first one posting like this was just an extension of the forum, not the DEAD SERIOUS (no pun intended) game it apparently is.
Posting begets posting.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile

I do not like the mentality of not wanting to lynch early.  That completely invalidates any pressure we put on people since they'll just know we won't go through with the lynch.
I was trying to say that I am not in favor if delaying lynches just for the sake of delaying them.

I have 3 votes on me, Galz, J and now CF.

I still need to evaluate DSell and J which is why I unvoted and haven't voted again.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

In an earlier post, C_F said this referring to Axxle, then voted for Axxle:
He is allegedly in favor of quick voting J and getting on with life per #754.  I've just gone through his posts - and I see... almost nothing.  I don't even really agree with Galzria that #754 puts him strongly out of line with his previous request for game meat vs. mafia theory.  Apart from a helpful article, his posts are mostly 1-2 liners offering little in the way of things to call him out on.

Similar to DSell accusations, he's gotten involved with the Pops and J bandwagons - even voting twice on J for emphasis.

Then he damn near immediately backed off this morning when it started to look like J wasn't going to be lynched, and we were starting to take a serious look at how that divided the town.  If he felt strongly enough to double vote for J, why back off so suddenly?  If DSell is making him nervous - why not vote for him?

I agree with this analysis.

UNVOTE
VOTE: Axxle

If I've counted correctly, this would be 4 votes.
Posting begets posting.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

I do not like the mentality of not wanting to lynch early.  That completely invalidates any pressure we put on people since they'll just know we won't go through with the lynch.
I was trying to say that I am not in favor if delaying lynches just for the sake of delaying them.

I have 3 votes on me, Galz, J and now CF.

I still need to evaluate DSell and J which is why I unvoted and haven't voted again.

Ooops, forgot about J's vote.  It's getting pretty hot in here - Axxle, I would like to see your thoughts on the J / DSell situation.

Also - in your mind - what is the value of the pressure that is placed on people as votes pile up.  What are you looking for that you think would be different if they felt like the votes would not go through?

O

• Jester
    • View Profile

In an earlier post, C_F said this referring to Axxle, then voted for Axxle:

I agree with this analysis.

UNVOTE
VOTE: Axxle

If I've counted correctly, this would be 4 votes.

You and Captain Frisk seem to agree on a lot.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

For now ;)
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Wow, nothing for 5 hours with the site down.  And we have such a shortage of material too, that 5 hours might be an information loss we can never recover from...

Until tomorrow, have fun all.
Posting begets posting.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile

O stepped out of the Library and breathed deeply in the fresh air.

"Everything got so quiet all of a sudden!"

Vote Count 1-11

popsofctown (2) - Insomniac, O
Grujah (1) - Glooble
jotheonah (3) - Green Opal, Robz888, Dsell
Dsell (1) - theorel
Glooble (1) - popsofctown
Axxle (4) - Galzria, jotheonah, Captain_Frisk, SwitchedFromStarcraft

Not Voting {3} - Tables, Grujah, Axxle

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #889 on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:47 am »

I feel like DSell hasn't really said a whole lot of anything.  A lot of posts asking people to clarify what they mean, agreeing once or twice, some early attacks of J.

Initially distraught by pops who wrote SFS as town off the bat, DSell was needed some prodding to speak up but when he did he attacked SFS, who was arguably the easiest target in the game at that point. 

Some obvious talk about pops behaving weird, defensive of CF's vote on him (although I don't think overly defensive) where he (in my opinion) fails to defend himself,

He has not voted till J.  Many if not most of the players here look first to votes as evidence.  Looks as though he's purposefully staying under the radar.

post 675 finally looks solid, although may just be rehashing others.  Followed by parroting what other people are saying, more asking for clarification, was the first one to comment on J's #703 self destructive post (so, originalish).

I like this post:
The play has been too terrible to be Mafia.

The problem with this is that I don't think jotheonah is actually a terrible player. It's definitely looked like a series of blunders, but the more I read things like this...

Also, incidentally joth has a very informative wagon that depends on his flip.

That's by design.

...the more I believe he thinks he is in control of his game. So on that front I agree with Robz and, I guess, O.

decent posts later.

FOS: Theorel for misrepresenting DSell, as he explains:

Theorel, you're accusing me of changing my position and now favoring an early lynch. This is not at all true, I don't want an early lynch! But we are no longer in the early stages of this game. We have almost thirty-five pages already because this game has been very accelerated. The fact that nearly everyone has cast one or more serious votes should be proof that it is no longer too soon for a lynch. So the thrust of your argument against me is just wrong, and I'm really struggling to see where you're getting this suspicion from. Yes, this game is moving faster than I thought it would (we are nearly to MIII's post count after just 48 hours!!) and frankly I was the very last person to cast a serious vote (#730) because I want to take time to consider and reread what people have said with SO much content. However, I feel rock-solid in my jo vote, especially because he's deciding to lay low now that things are dying down.

FOS is finger of suspicion, indicating that I'm going to be following him very closely and may vote.  I'll go through his posts tomorrow to see if he's misrepresenting anyone else and conclude/disprove my suspicions. (I'll probably look at CF too).
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

Ah, that post was kind of stream of consciousness, which is why the start of it doesn't match the conclusion.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #891 on: June 07, 2012, 06:00:56 am »

Aside from Jo, which was just ugh, I haven't really seen anything that has given me any real red flags. By now I expect there will be some random accusations and lots of voting and unvoting (read: already happening) and eventually we will get somewhere. I like having extra time, to comment on that debate. I don't want to try to lynch too early. In my EXPERIENCE (*cough*MIII*cough*) ahem... being on a deadline got us all to vote but it made things really heated and desperate. I'd rather have too much time than too little. Don't have to use it all.

This is post #203 from me. Yep, I'm all for having plenty of time, not being on a strict deadline. I love that we have three weeks here rather than 1 week like in MIII. But I haven't changed my position at all! "I don't want to try to lynch too early." A too-early lynch is nothing but anti-town. It's just almost inevitable that there will be mafia aboard the bandwagon. That's why I pulled away from the pops bandwagon even though I really wanted to vote. It didn't feel right, it built up too fast and it was too early.

Theorel, you're accusing me of changing my position and now favoring an early lynch. This is not at all true, I don't want an early lynch! But we are no longer in the early stages of this game. We have almost thirty-five pages already because this game has been very accelerated. The fact that nearly everyone has cast one or more serious votes should be proof that it is no longer too soon for a lynch. So the thrust of your argument against me is just wrong, and I'm really struggling to see where you're getting this suspicion from. Yes, this game is moving faster than I thought it would (we are nearly to MIII's post count after just 48 hours!!) and frankly I was the very last person to cast a serious vote (#730) because I want to take time to consider and reread what people have said with SO much content. However, I feel rock-solid in my jo vote, especially because he's deciding to lay low now that things are dying down.

And since you, Robz, and Axxle all disagreed with me.  And the posting was so slow that nothing really happened...

----
It seems to me that there are at least 4 people that disagree with you.  It sounds to me, based on what's been said that: I disagree, Tables disagrees*, Galzria disagrees, and Axxle disagrees.  Robz seems to agree with you.  Objectively I don't see how you can think the second bandwagon of any substance is late in the day.  Post-count is irrelevant to game stage, that's a weak argument. 

As to serious votes: I had not yet cast a serious vote (if Grujah had picked up speed I would have thought of him as a mafia fall-boy, but joth stole the show so my experiment failed).  I don't believe pops has cast a "serious" vote (dunno what that would look like).  I feel unconfident of any of O's votes being serious (though maybe I misread him).  Galz hadn't cast one yet (that's why he jumped off the joth-wagon).  Tables hadn't cast one (he was nervous about 6 votes).  SFS hadn't cast one (he wanted to "see what would happen", though his previous vote on Robz might be characterized as serious, I can't imagine any first-vote on someone as serious...it's always a feel-them-out vote).  Which means that I wouldn't have characterized Green_Opal's vote as serious (although I think he had clarified that he was happy sticking around).  Maybe you really misread the game-state there?

You were the last one to cast a vote before the bandwagon started falling apart.  I think you believed it would continue, and didn't want to be the hammer (I certainly wondered if I'd wake up to night 1).  You were trying to keep the ball rolling to make that lynch in spite of at least 3 people's misgivings (mine, Glooble's and Table's).

Finally, MIII.  Which I can't comment on.
PS: I'm really sorry if this is pushing the bounds of references to that game...I understand more and more why any reference to an ongoing mafia-game is bad.

Finally, that wasn't the whole of my argument, just the first point.  You've ignored the rest, I guess that's because it is scummy and you can't defend it.

*based on his unvote, though the game had moved along a little by your post so this may not be true.
----

I'm biased...I think you're mafia, so I'm not actually reconsidering my position.  You've tried to pick apart my argument which makes me naturally want to defend it.  We could go back and forth, but what's the point?  You could ignore me, and I could read that as deflecting.  You could go black, and I could point out that you went away from a losing argument and make Robz vote for you.  There is no case in which your words have any value to me...if i make exceptions I'll just be persecuting personalities that I disagree with.  And you're not even under pressure yet.

For myself, I don't really feel pressure...so I know it won't give an accurate read on me.  For further evidence: MI: townies cracked under pressure, mafia were smooth (Ozle and Axxle didn't even start to crack at any point in their defense...Robz was even convinced that Ozle was townie).  MII: townies cracked under pressure, mafia didn't (not that there was much pressure there).  So, yeah, no value there.

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile

Dang, lost part of the first line pre-post-editing:
It should read:
And since you, Robz, and Axxle all disagreed with me.  And the posting was so slow that nothing really happened...I will demonstrate why I find the accused's behavior worthless, and why I'll not really carry on arguments with the accused.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

Ah, that post was kind of stream of consciousness, which is why the start of it doesn't match the conclusion.

Axxle: Thanks for the meatier post - but you've ignored several points:

Axxle, I would like to see your thoughts on the J / DSell situation.

Also - in your mind - what is the value of the pressure that is placed on people as votes pile up.  What are you looking for that you think would be different if they felt like the votes would not go through?

#1 - You didn't really explain your backing off of J.  You were so strongly in favor of J that you double voted; but then you unvoted because of a side accusation between theorel and DSell?  I don't see how the two are connected. 

#2 - You mentioned that if there if we feel that lynching is unlikely, there's no pressure in the votes.  Can you respond to my question above?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

I think mafia'll feel less panicked and be able to respond in a slightly slower but calmer manner in order to not make mistakes.

#1 - You didn't really explain your backing off of J.  You were so strongly in favor of J that you double voted; but then you unvoted because of a side accusation between theorel and DSell?  I don't see how the two are connected.
I thought someone mentioned that it was DSell pushing the J wagon from the start, I forget who, and was worried that my vote was being heavily influenced by that.  Now I see that isn't the case so I guess my vote can return:

Vote: J

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

Theorel, all my votes this game have been serious, except for my vote where I pretended to copy SFS, that was a trollvote.

This vote is serious. 

His posting has read like a referee and not like a player.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

This brings us to 5?

Galz, J, Me, SFS, Pops

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile

Captain Frisk: Frisk's made a few interesting posts, but generally hasn't caught my eye. He made a good post analysing O's behaviour (289), but that's really about it. I know Dominion skill and Mafia skill are two very seperate things, but I've kinda been expecting more from him. No real read yet.

I hate to jump back 10 pages, but this bugged me while reading last night.

Can I ask what you would consider a display of skill at this game on Day 1 to look like?

Okay actually, I should probably apologise for this comment. I was kinda rushing and it came out very badly. What I meant to say (in more words) is, as a skilled dominion player, I irrationally expected a lot from you in Mafia. Like, one of the best players level. What I've seen so far certainly hasn't been bad play or anything (and in the last few pages I've seen more interesting things as well for what it's worth), but wasn't the super-skilled play I expected for no real reason. As for what a good display of skill on day 1 looks like, honestly, I have no idea. The games I regularly play in see the whole of day 1 as expendible, and while I've tried to change that, those people rarely let that happen. I think the day 1 play here has been on the whole good.

Page 36 isn't loading for me, so I haven't read that yet. And like always, I've managed to catch up reading and now have to disappear again pretty soon, so I won't be able to give a full analysis, but what I have seen regarding Joth has left me somewhat less suspicious of him. He's still one of my main suspects, but I'm less certain than I was a while ago. Theorel's points (regarding Joth, 762) were interesting, but I think I disagree with them. It's perfectly possible for a wagon to develop quickly on scum. If one townie can willingly quickly jump on, why can't another 4 or 5? And that's as far as we reached, about 6 votes. About half the town, if he's scum and none of his teammates voted for him. And this also goes under the assumption that no scum were willing to bus him (that is, lynch him to make themselves look less suspicious - a relatively common and effective tactic), which is a very dangerous assumption to make. And in terms of time, yes, the wagon was quick, but in terms of posts, suspicion has developed over pages 10-25 - a good 350 or so posts worth of discussion leading to people getting suspicious of him.

That being said, theorel's analysis in general has been interesting, and that's lowered my suspicions slightly.

Finally, Axxle... Galzria's points in post 760 really resonated with me, and looking at the votes he's cast, I must admit the small amount of trust I had in Axxle has been shattered. Joining two bandwagons mid-late is really quite something, especially if one or both of the people turn out to be town. And Axxle's defences against this didn't do much to allay my suspicions.

Oh, actually, there is one other thing. Someone (I seem to have forgotten to record who and where) pointed out that we've had about 35 pages of discussion, so we'd hardly be ending the day early. Actually, I kinda agree with this. Okay, we have a lot more time we can use, so if we can use it usefully we should, but we'll certainly not be selling ourselves short of discussion if the day ended right now. Note: I do NOT advocate the day ending this soon, I think there's still a lot of useful discussion we can have.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile

And we're back!

Thanks rrenaud!

O

• Jester
    • View Profile

What even is error_324?

@ Theorel, my vote for Popsofctown is completely serious.

@ Everyone: I'm not exactly sure what the case against Axxle is, if someone could concisely explain it to me (maybe I just missed a post?) that'd be great.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 139  All

Page created in 1.736 seconds with 20 queries.