Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 334859 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 1 START!)
« Reply #300 on: June 04, 2012, 05:59:22 pm »

Since when is "Be completely random" and "Lurk" a dichotomy?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #301 on: June 04, 2012, 05:59:56 pm »

"Be silent and out of the way as VT" seems like crap to me since it just provides a great hole for the mafia to hide under aswell.

It seems to me that any way you can play town that convinces that town that you are town would also be a way to play Mafia and convince the town that you are town. in other words, if there really was a surefire way not to arouse suspicion, I would be suspicious of anyone employing it, so its sort of a big Catch-22.

Given that, I can see the appeal of O's strategy.

On the other hand, "be random and wacky" also seems like a great way to "hide in plain site" as the Mafia; ie "he can't be scum, no one plays scum that badly."

So I"m going to be wary of O this game, but right now I'm not any more suspicious of him than anyone else. I'm going to read the post so far and see if anyone jumps out as suspicious the second time around.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 04, 2012, 06:00:20 pm »

or I should say the only two options.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 04, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »

Fifteen people, realizing perhaps that tensions were running far too high for useful discussion, retired to the Cellar to partake of the now-deceased Lord's wine collection.  He wouldn't be needing it.

Fifteen minutes later there had been another frenzy of brainstormed lynch suggestions, along with two drained casks, one heavily damaged cask which contents were found disagreeable, and a rapidly consumed wheel of pungent cheese.  One could almost say the participants had Remodeled the Cellar into a Feast. 

Vote Count 1-2

Galzria (1) - Captain_Frisk
Insomniac (1) - popsofctown
O (1) - SwitchedFromStarcraft
Axxle (2) - Galzria, O
popsofctown (1) - Insomniac

Not Voting (9) - Robz888, theorel, Glooble, Tables, Grujah, jotheonah, Axxle, Dsell, Green Opal

With 15 alive, it takes 8 to lynch

Players comfortable with a discussion quicktopic (9) - Dsell, O, Galzria, Captain_Frisk, Insomniac, jotheonah, Glooble, Green Opal, Axxle

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 04, 2012, 06:00:55 pm »

No one said it was. I'm just saying, we need town all along that spectrum. Except maybe at the ends.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 04, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »

[homersimpson] Hmmm... pungent cheese [/homersimpson]
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 04, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »

Then again, if only you are like you there's still an easy mafia cover ... for you.

It's an interesting point, and one I worry about. Is it ok to play Mafia in such a way that benefits me across all games I play, instead of just one?

I'd like to point out though that it would be a very dangerous way to play as mafia: I frequently get myself pretty close to being lynched.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 04, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »

No one said it was. I'm just saying, we need town all along that spectrum. Except maybe at the ends.

Sorry, I should have quoted, it sure sounds like O was saying that:

@SFS - I am starting to think that O employees a Day 1 strategy equivalent to "Always Play Random" In Rock-Paper Scissors Lizard Spock.

It's unbeatable, but it also doesn't win. 

He doesn't provide enough explicit dirt to get lynched, but he also doesn't provide any information to make anything he says especially trustworthy.  He will live through the day - Mafia won't nightkill him because he's been crazy enough to attract some suspicion - and then he can start playing for real the next day.

Honestly, nobody's ever confronted me with a strategy and convinced me its actually better.

"Be silent and out of the way as VT" seems like crap to me since it just provides a great hole for the mafia to hide under aswell.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 04, 2012, 06:06:10 pm »

I am not suspicious of him for voting a lurker.  Read my posts.

Ok, ok I read them and maybe I was oversimplifying, but doesn't that make Green Opal just as suspicious? I mean insomniac obviously has different reasons for using his vote than you do, but we just had like a whole page of trollvotes. I just do NOT find a vote to get a lurker to talk suspicious. I'm not gonna do it myself but I find it odd that you are really serious about your vote.
Nope.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #309 on: June 04, 2012, 06:07:43 pm »

I'd like to point out though that it would be a very dangerous way to play as mafia: I frequently get myself pretty close to being lynched.

Ah, but don't forget Rule of Acquisition #62 - the riskier the road, the greater the profits.

@jototheonah
15 people is a lot. It's going to get very difficult for me to keep everything straight in my head.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #310 on: June 04, 2012, 06:09:12 pm »

That being said, the longer I spent reading MII and MIII the more I got a sense for people's voices. I hope that will happen here too. And of course, the number of people will inevitably decrease.

He/ Him

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 04, 2012, 06:12:01 pm »

It seems to me that any way you can play town that convinces that town that you are town would also be a way to play Mafia and convince the town that you are town.

This sentence hurt my brain. >.< But, it does make some sense. I think there is a limit to how much you can get out of playstyle. People play differently game to game, people play the same, people (townies and mafia) follow the tides of the game. So you can get some from playstyle, but it's not foolproof.

So for me right now I'm not overly suspicious of anyone but I am a bit...confused by pops' vote and his insistence on keeping it. Still hoping for a response to my post at 270.

Pre-post edit: got the response, no substance. Still hoping for something more.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 04, 2012, 06:13:08 pm »

Ah, but don't forget Rule of Acquisition #62 - the riskier the road, the greater the profits.

@jototheonah
15 people is a lot. It's going to get very difficult for me to keep everything straight in my head.

Tables did something smart in M-II: He made an excel sheet that he could keep short thoughts for each person on, with the respective post numbers to refer back to. Then you don't have to reread everything 1000 times later on.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 04, 2012, 06:14:17 pm »

Your question answered itself.  Your misunderstanding arises for oversimplification.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 04, 2012, 06:14:48 pm »

I am not suspicious of him for voting a lurker.  Read my posts.

Ok, ok I read them and maybe I was oversimplifying, but doesn't that make Green Opal just as suspicious? I mean insomniac obviously has different reasons for using his vote than you do, but we just had like a whole page of trollvotes. I just do NOT find a vote to get a lurker to talk suspicious. I'm not gonna do it myself but I find it odd that you are really serious about your vote.
Nope.
Ok.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 04, 2012, 06:15:53 pm »

Tables did something smart in M-II: He made an excel sheet that he could keep short thoughts for each person on, with the respective post numbers to refer back to. Then you don't have to reread everything 1000 times later on.

...but you have to make an excel spreadsheet and take detailed notes on the postings of 15 players...

No but really, that's actually a good idea. I don't have time to do that, though. So far I've been able to keep up.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 04, 2012, 06:16:59 pm »

Your question answered itself.  Your misunderstanding arises for oversimplification.

Who are you talking to? If you are talking to me, I just reread my post and did not ask a question.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 04, 2012, 06:17:44 pm »

Who are you talking to? If you are talking to me, I just reread my post and did not ask a question.
the original question

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #318 on: June 04, 2012, 06:18:27 pm »

pops, it would be helpful to me if you could tell us who you are replying to with this kind of statement. There is a lot going on and it might make things a bit less confusing.

@Dsell: This game makes my brain hurt.

He/ Him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 04, 2012, 06:18:30 pm »

Let's make it our goal to be the first F.DS mafia town to lynch scum Day 1! I believe in us. We can do it.

Well, if you want to find scum so much today (admirable goal, who doesn't? (aside from scum)), what are your proposed methods? What are you going to look for? I think you would agree nobody is going to jump up and down screaming "Me! Pick me! I'm scum!". So, what should we look fir?

J, I never felt you satisfactorily revisited and answered this. Would you mind doing so? Especially in light of the discussion that anything Town can do to appear Town, so Mafia can do to appear Town.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 04, 2012, 06:19:44 pm »

This is really interesting.  I have a mental view of you and your style based on your moderation of M1 - but you're completely different over here. 

I am inherently suspicious of anyone who seems confident that they know what they are doing - like there is some kindof master plan.  Maybe its just lack of experience, but it seems like there's really no way to truly have that level of confidence.  I'm keeping an eye on you.

Pre Post Edit - 6 MORE?
Oh - and Unvote  I'm not really any more suspicious of Galzria than anyone else at this point.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 04, 2012, 06:20:49 pm »

...but you have to make an excel spreadsheet and take detailed notes on the postings of 15 players...

No but really, that's actually a good idea. I don't have time to do that, though. So far I've been able to keep up.

I don't do it either, but it seemed smart if you don't have three energy to pour over a rapidly moving thread multiple times.

Mafia Record:

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 04, 2012, 06:21:02 pm »

Vote: Quicktopic

@O: Puppies of large dogs are cute. I've not encountered puppies of yappy-type dogs enough times to form an opinion on them.
I'm fine with smart children, but there are a lot of obnoxious, loud, undisciplined children that I prefer to stay clear of me.
I think this is where I say: God Bless America.
UNVOTE
Vote: Axxle (for the above post)

@ALL: Can we get more focused on gleaning actionable information?  This is going to be incredibly unwieldy 6 weeks from now at the end of Day 3, when there could still be as many as 12 people in the game.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:36 pm »

unvote

I managed to miss Axxle's response until SFS brought it up.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »

Vote: Quicktopic

@O: Puppies of large dogs are cute. I've not encountered puppies of yappy-type dogs enough times to form an opinion on them.
I'm fine with smart children, but there are a lot of obnoxious, loud, undisciplined children that I prefer to stay clear of me.
I think this is where I say: God Bless America.
UNVOTE
Vote: Axxle (for the above post)

@ALL: Can we get more focused on gleaning actionable information?  This is going to be incredibly unwieldy 6 weeks from now at the end of Day 3, when there could still be as many as 12 people in the game.

Reposted to bold the unvote and the re-vote
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 139  All

Page created in 2.003 seconds with 19 queries.