Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fun desperate comeback  (Read 2130 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Fun desperate comeback
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:34:22 am »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120530-161305-829d898c.html

I started off thinking that Bridge/Fools Gold seemed like a nice combo. Soon I was bogged down with Curses, and my opponent was on his way to lots of Provinces (and Duchies!). I knew I had to delay the end of the game, so I stopped buying Provinces and got lots of Masquerades, Wharfs, and Villages. Sure enough, I managed to just barely scrape by in the end.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: Fun desperate comeback
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:11:08 am »

Thought about going young witch/tunnel?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:50:56 am »

My thinking was along 2 lines (both of which could well be incorrect).

I saw Fool's Gold as a replacement for a Tunnel strategy, and I saw Witch as a replacement for Young Witch.

Granted, I didn't even think of the synergy between the 2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ShuffleLuck

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »

YoungWitch/Tunnel is an awesome combo. According to councilroom, it's the 32nd best opening in the game. Maybe not so great against Masq, though... Masq is so great against curses.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:33:00 pm »

YoungWitch/Tunnel is an awesome combo. According to councilroom, it's the 32nd best opening in the game. Maybe not so great against Masq, though... Masq is so great against curses.
And Ambassador… especially Ambassador.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »

I probably would have avoided Young Witch/Tunnel here. With Masq as the Bane the curses were all likely to be blocked or passed back.

That said, why no Masq/Silver open to transition to Wharf-BM grabbing FG with the extra buys from Wharf? With your opponent going Tunnel, there was no need to immediately start on the FGs.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:08 pm »
+1

This board I probably open Masq/Silver looking to pick up a witch/YW depending on my draws and then transition into a Wharf/Village engine. I'll probably start favoring FG over silver/gold after I get a wharf or two. Though if I had picked up YW over witch, maybe I just get a tunnel midgame to give myself a steady supply of Gold.

As for general strategy, people love tunnel way more than they should. Yeah, there are a lot of decent enablers, but only a few are really good. And oasis is not one of the really good ones. Best enablers off the top of my head are warehouse, young witch, and embassy. The problem is that the tunnel takes up a card slot and then if you happen to discard it, you have to wait an entire shuffle to actually see that Gold. Oh and tunnel continues to take up a card slot for the rest of the game. Warehouse and embassy both cycle your deck like crazy. So you don't have to wait long to see that Gold come around. They also don't care about junk very much at all. Young Witch takes a different route. The cycling isn't as good, and it's terminal so you can't stack it like warehouse. But the curses slow down the game a lot so you'll see those early golds a lot. Also it's hard to get many gold anyway in a curse game. Plus it's going to be a junky game anyway the card slot from a tunnel or two isn't so bad.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »

This board I probably open Masq/Silver looking to pick up a witch/YW depending on my draws and then transition into a Wharf/Village engine. I'll probably start favoring FG over silver/gold after I get a wharf or two. Though if I had picked up YW over witch, maybe I just get a tunnel midgame to give myself a steady supply of Gold.

As for general strategy, people love tunnel way more than they should. Yeah, there are a lot of decent enablers, but only a few are really good. And oasis is not one of the really good ones. Best enablers off the top of my head are warehouse, young witch, and embassy. The problem is that the tunnel takes up a card slot and then if you happen to discard it, you have to wait an entire shuffle to actually see that Gold. Oh and tunnel continues to take up a card slot for the rest of the game. Warehouse and embassy both cycle your deck like crazy. So you don't have to wait long to see that Gold come around. They also don't care about junk very much at all. Young Witch takes a different route. The cycling isn't as good, and it's terminal so you can't stack it like warehouse. But the curses slow down the game a lot so you'll see those early golds a lot. Also it's hard to get many gold anyway in a curse game. Plus it's going to be a junky game anyway the card slot from a tunnel or two isn't so bad.
...and those 2 VP tend to mean more in the slug-fest.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.