Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Hoarder  (Read 1741 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Card Idea: Hoarder
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:52:44 am »

Here's a card I came up with a few months ago that now seems like it would fit the Dark Ages trash theme nicely:

Hoarder
($4 | Action - Victory)
You may trash one card.

Worth 1VP for every type of card in the trash out of the types: Action, Treasure, Victory, Curse.

If the wording isn't clear here, the intention is that Hoarder can be worth between 0 and 4 VP, depending one which types of cards are in the trash.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Hoarder
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:14 am »
+1

I may be off in my reasoning, but I think this would only get purchased in games with other trashing.  If there is no other trashing, Hoarder is not fast enough.  It trashes a single card for no immediate benefit. 

Moreover, the benefit it DOES give you in the long term also applies to your opponent.  I'd argue that it benefits your opponent more -- while you are trashing cards with Hoarder, the opponent is making their deck stronger, more quickly than you are.  Once you have built up Hoarder to 3 or 4 VP, the opponent can buy them and get that full value without doing any of the work.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:39:44 pm »

proposal:

"when you gain this, you may trash up to X cards from your hand [from play]".

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 01:25:23 pm »

Yeah, this will definitely be stronger (and maybe only viable) with other trashing on the board. But, I imagine it would be most useful to buy mid to late in the game, not early. And yes, it does have a bit of the Trade Route problem that if you try to improve it, you're probably helping your opponents more.

At the same time, I could see it being useful in Cursing games, even without other trashing.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:30:58 pm »

This seems like it would make a fantastic ironworks rush game. The dual typing gives +1 card and action. Getting it up to 3 points is pretty trivial.

play2draw

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:41:19 pm »

How about this:

Pro Hoarder: $6 - victory/action
+$2
Trash a card from your hand
At the end of the game, this card is worth victory points equal to the number of different card types in the trash.

Almost always capable of being worth 5 VP. In many games 6. At most 8 (on very rare occasions)...

... but I already see a flaw in this, in that I suspect it would often be superior to fairgrounds.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:54:28 pm »
+1

Adding a vanilla bonus may be all you need.  I haven't thought through play2draw's version adequately, but at a glance it seems better to me.

Here's a small tweak:

Hoarder
$5 - Action/Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand.
--
Worth 1 VP for every type of card in the trash.

This gives you cantrip trashing, but the fact that the trashing is mandatory means that eventually they become dead cards in your hand once you've slimmed down.  The more of these you buy early, the quicker they'll become dead.  Victory cards tend to be dead cards anyway, so that in itself isn't a big deal, but you do probably have to be careful how many early ones you get, or you'll stall out too early.  Plus, trying to green with a slim deck is a lot harder than greening with a fat one.  So there are balance issues you have to be judicious about when playing with the card.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.036 seconds with 21 queries.