Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT) High School Championship finals  (Read 7355 times)

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile

Carcassonne?!  How even.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games

Blasted kids wouldn't know a good game if it Hagged the Hag off the top of their deck.  What are they doing in their free time, studying?
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile

Silver/Moon light... *shivers*

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile

Oh, man, this is bringing back memories for me.  I played NAQT (and other quiz bowl formats too) in high school, and college, and even grad school- it was my big hobby for a long time, though now that I'm no longer a student and can't play any more board games have replaced it. Every once in awhile, they'd have a board game question, and 99 percent of the participants would hate it, denouncing it as "trash" (which has long been the term for everything pop culture, usually as a term of disparagement but some folks embraced it and put together "trash tournaments" in college)- and not just trash, but obscure trash that nobody knows and why are they even asking.  So I'm sure the teams here were all thinking "good match, except for that blasted Dominion question".

It's not the first time NAQT has asked about Dominion, though.  Back in 2009, I was at the college nationals and they had a question about the number 5 in board games.  The first clue was "In Dominion, Witch costs this much".  Yeah, I got it, for fifteen.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile

Oh man, I got a text message from a friend of mine telling me that Dominion had come up at Nationals. I was going to be very upset that he didn't get it right...until he informed me that he had been eliminated long ago. Definitely a trash question, though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile

Reminds me of a time when I did the Geography Bee in high school, where the theme was "The Sounds of Geography" (languages, music, etc), and I think I was the only person to know what Esperanto is.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile

"Trash question" seems like a awfully scruby thing.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile

"Trash question" seems like a awfully scruby thing.

Clearly you've never participated in This Tournament Goes to XI
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
+3

Oh my god, I never thought I'd see the PPR in the NAQT.

I'm so flattered.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page

So, who reads the blog on the... committee(?) that comes up with the questions? It's okay, you can tell us who you are :D

Also, as an outsider, I'm amazed that they would ask such and obscure question as this. I mean, I wish Dominion were super-popular and well-known, but it is not...

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
+1

Questions are basically written freelance; anybody can apply to be a writer and start submitting questions. Obviously, it helps to know what you're doing, and it takes some experience before they'll let you submit to the national championships.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile

So, who reads the blog on the... committee(?) that comes up with the questions? It's okay, you can tell us who you are :D

Also, as an outsider, I'm amazed that they would ask such and obscure question as this. I mean, I wish Dominion were super-popular and well-known, but it is not...

I've never written for NAQT, though I thought of doing it at one point, and actually wrote a few questions for one of their (friendly) competitors last year. 

I think it's just probably one person who writes for them who's also into boardgames and keeps putting questions in at the rate of one per tournament.  Who that is, I don't know.  Probably not Ken Jennings (who's of course the one NAQT person that people outside of the quizbowl subculture have heard of).

And Dominion is totally among the top fifteen or so well-known hobby board games these days- but even so I wouldn't ask about anything more obscure than Settlers at HSNCT.  Maybe at the college level, or maybe as a hard bonus part.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile

Did anyone else watch the rest of that match? Holy crap, that was close.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile

Questions are basically written freelance; anybody can apply to be a writer and start submitting questions. Obviously, it helps to know what you're doing, and it takes some experience before they'll let you submit to the national championships.

So... It was you?

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile

So... It was you?

I can neither confirm nor deny this accusation.

(no)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
+2

What exactly was the question.  I am curious, but not curious enough to install Silverlight.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
+4

Opening gambits hinge on a 4-3 or 5-2 start in this game, whose endgame often turns on who makes the next to last 8-cost play. Isotropic.org hosts online matches of this game. That site was used by creator Donald X Vaccarino to playtest the 2011 expansion "Cornucopia". For ten points name this game with ten randomly chosen Kingdom cards whose Victory cards include "Estate", "Duchy" and "Province".

First team answers "Carcassonne".
Second team answers "Stratego".
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:03:35 am by Thisisnotasmile »

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile

Opening gambits hinge on a 4-3 or 5-2 start in this game, whose endgame often turns on who makes the next to last 8-cost play. Isotropic.org hosts online matches of this game. That site was used by creator Donald X Vaccarino to playtest the 2011 expansion "Cornucopia". For ten points name this game with ten randomly chosen Kingdom cards whose Victory cards include "Estate", "Duchy" and "Province".

First team answers "Carcasonne".

Holy crap, that's a difficult set of clues. I'm also surprised the Spiel des Jahres win wasn't mentioned.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
+2

First team answers "Carcasonne".

Seriously?  Stratego?  STRATEGO?  What the hell is wrong with those kids?  You might as well say "chess" to the clue "this game involves circling a board of real estate, with the most expensive lot titled 'boardwalk' - each player gains $200 each time they pass a game square called 'Go.'"
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

matt979

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
+3

http://www.ihigh.com/naqt/broadcast_228025.html?silverlight=1

Check out 17:00 for kicks.

...and keep watching. That was a really, really good game. :-)

I wrote that question (100% serious). In the 3rd-place game, a player from LASA (Liberal Arts and Sciences Academy, Austin, TX) was all over this. I meant to ask him his Isotropic handle but forgot.

Ulthwithian

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile

That's _awesome_.  Does the NAQT allow answering questions before they are completed? If so, I am curious as to what point people here would have answered?  I certainly would have hit it at 'game', and very possibly after '4-3'.

That's my second favorite trivia question of all time.

#1 (not in the NAQT style): Name the 5 assumptions of the EOQ model.  (no joke)

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +121
    • View Profile

I'm guessing (and not installing Silverlight) that you can to buzz in at any time while the question is being read (unlike Jeopardy) given the incredibly pointless insertion of random information that's useless to someone who has no chance at ever getting the answer with more and more specific information being given at the end of the clue that would give people a higher chance of being able to recall the answer.  That said, it seems really stupid to leave out that it won the Spiel des Jahres, and giving a specific year for that win would have made it possible for people to know without having played the game.

Stop reading my signature.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile

That's _awesome_.  Does the NAQT allow answering questions before they are completed? If so, I am curious as to what point people here would have answered?  I certainly would have hit it at 'game', and very possibly after '4-3'.

At the point where it says "4-3", the question could still be referring to Go; that's a very common opening move. 5-2 isn't a typical Go opening move, though, so if the question were being read very very slowly that's the earliest I might buzz in.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?BeginnersGuideToTheOpening
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.