Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Mafia III Discussion  (Read 8404 times)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Mafia III Discussion
« on: May 27, 2012, 10:08:18 pm »

Please enclose all your posts with spoiler tags

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia III Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:38:28 am »

This is the one with even potential roles not announced?

I bet optimal strategy for Mafia involves a fake roleclaim at some point, with some obscure role. Since a counter-claim is pretty unlikely, and nobody will ever find out if you're lying until you die, since they can't count other power roles as they die.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 08:01:16 pm »

Lots of stuff going on so far... how are things supposed to get off the ground day one anyway? I guess the town have some incentive to try to start some kind of discussion, because otherwise the mafia will get to mow them down one by one... which in turn gives the mafia incentive to start discussion, so they look like townies. Also, discussion in general shouldn't really hurt the mafia?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:03:14 pm »

Test
Please enclose all your posts with spoiler tags
[/spoiler]

Just testing to see if it's possible to put quotes within spoiler tags. Unfortunately it seems you can't?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:55:02 am »

Just testing to see if it's possible to put quotes within spoiler tags. Unfortunately it seems you can't?

As long as everything in the quote is in spoiler tags it's okay though, right?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:00:52 am »

The problem is that you can see the "Quote from: ------" junk at the top, which basically tells you exactly what they're quoting. I mean, I guess you have to think about that to figure it out, and in that case you just mouse-over it anyway. I'm specifically testing this for quoting stuff from the other thread, wondering how safe that is. Obviously stuff in here it doesn't really matter. As for the stuff from the other thread, I don't know whether people really care that much, I'm just throwing it out there.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:51 pm »

This is the one with even potential roles not announced?

I bet optimal strategy for Mafia involves a fake roleclaim at some point, with some obscure role. Since a counter-claim is pretty unlikely, and nobody will ever find out if you're lying until you die, since they can't count other power roles as they die.

If the town massclaims, they can often reverse engineer the setup and determine whether the true setup has more town power or less town power than is claimed, based on what would be balanced.  If the mafia claim a strong power role and so do townies (or dead townies reveal them), then he becomes suspicous.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 04:28:49 pm »

Random voting makes me sad.  Doesn't help the town at all.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »

I really hope there isn't a Jester in that game, or any other bastard role for that matter.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:24:05 pm »

I reviewed the setup for Mafia III, so none of the roles are any more of a bastard than I am.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05:53 pm »

The problem is that you can see the "Quote from: ------" junk at the top, which basically tells you exactly what they're quoting. I mean, I guess you have to think about that to figure it out, and in that case you just mouse-over it anyway. I'm specifically testing this for quoting stuff from the other thread, wondering how safe that is. Obviously stuff in here it doesn't really matter. As for the stuff from the other thread, I don't know whether people really care that much, I'm just throwing it out there.

You can just delete that part, like so.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:18:47 am »

TINAS clearly mafia
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »

We're finally getting and being able to use metagame information, which is fun.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 06:40:00 pm »

"The analysis is pretty useless, actually. Anyone who plays Mafia one way every time and Town another way every time is a terrible mafia player, and we can't deduce all too much from looking at Robz past roleclaims"

Actually you'd be an extremely powerful townie, but terrible scum.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 06:55:45 pm »

Presumably, everyone *tries* to play Mafia similarly every time? In the case of town, you're trying to play however you think is best to ferret out the scum, whereas if you're scum, you're trying to play however you played when you were town, so as not to arouse suspicion.

However, at this stage, people might just change playing styles radically just based on the fact that when you're new to a game, strategy can change very very quickly as you learn. Like, in my first game, I ended up being last to vote basically always, and I'd try to change that for my next game, whether I'm town or mafia. So consistency or inconsistency is a much more reliable tell for experienced players with more than one game under their belt...

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 03:10:04 pm »

I think I'd vote O to death on Day 2.  If he's really a jester mafia should NK him immediately to prevent the chance of him winning so if he's not dead by Day 2 he's mafia.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 03:36:16 am »

Does anyone else want Pineapple right about now?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 08:42:20 pm »

I am going to ban all self lynchers from my games.  It's rediculous.

O should die, too obvious a mafia.

Am I the only one following this?

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 08:47:43 pm »

I'm following the game as well as moderating it but obviously I cannot speculate. Except about pineapple that stuffs delicious
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 10:24:40 pm »

Nah, I'm following it too, but I don't trust my reads on anyone. O seems mafia. Robz maybe.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 04:18:37 am »

BTW, what's everyone's feeling about the whole "no lynch day 1" thing? Unbiased people not in any ongoing game, or ones past day 1.

IMO, Since nobody can possibly be guaranteed to be town on day 1, with no power roles investigated and nothing real to go on, for a townie, a 2/8 chance of lynching a mafia (in a 9-player game) is better than a chance of giving Mafia a free night (no lynch).

I suppose it depends on what power roles are around, but only cop can really change that? And town never know that they have one?

Robz for mafia for arguing against this. One of the people who was about to be lynched is the other mafia. :-p
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:54:29 am by ftl »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:44 am »

is J the guy that must die to win (Jester?) If yes, he is doing a good job  ;D

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »

Is anyone else totally unable to keep track of all these various Mafia games now?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »

I've stopped trying to keep up until a game comes along that sounds interesting enough to actually take part in

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 06:15:51 pm »

Is anyone else totally unable to keep track of all these various Mafia games now?

Yeah, of course not. I'm not Robz!

I skip basically everything with people seriously analyzing each other's posts and try to get a tl;dr if there is one. I skim games occasionally to find interesting strategy tidbits, like the no lynch day 1 discussion. (I'm still curious as to what unbiased and experienced people have to say about that! :) )

I'm also following because I'm curious as to whether Town can do better than chance at lynching, except by information from power roles; my small amount of experience in IRL mafia led me to believe the answer is no, but apparently since Forum Mafia is a thing, the answer must be yes, or else people would tire of this pretty quickly; so I'm curious and am watching.

(So far, the only Mafia that I've seen lynched on this forum, have been due to power roles finding them out, so it's not looking good...)
[/spoiler
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.766 seconds with 19 queries.