Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!  (Read 94490 times)

barsooma

Re: ZOMGZ The Dominion Online website is doing something!
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »

They have testers for that.  You haven't even played the game.

Really sherlock, you don't say? If you're not going to read the thread, why not just keep your mouth shut.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2012, 01:24:39 pm »
+2

They have testers for that.  You haven't even played the game.

Really sherlock, you don't say? If you're not going to read the thread, why not just keep your mouth shut.

I have been reading the thread.  You need to stop getting so pissy about everything.  You need to stop acting so righteously angry whenever a Dominion product doesn't come out exactly the way you want it to, exactly on time.  If you get off on this sort of nonsense, go read A Song of Ice and Fire.  Experience waiting five years for the next book, all the while wondering if the author is going to die halfway through writing, THEN come get pissy about deadlines not being met.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2012, 01:27:26 pm »
+1

I don't see how it's aggrevating or offensive at all. He gave us information on it. Yes it doesn't have all the expansions or even the right symbols at the bottom. That's not DXV's doing. I'm actually hopeful for the implementation if the worst thing they do is have a few wrong symbols.

Anyways to keep it short thanks for the information I look forward to more as we approach release.

Do you mental giants understand the purpose of quoting?
Quote from: Donald X
Being able to see the trash, like every other thing anyone will helpfully point out in that cute outraged way people have, is obv. needed and will obv. be done, obv., and no you are not the first one to think of this, hypothetical helpful outraged person.

Obviously I'm not complaining about him finally providing some information, I'm say that his denigrating tone towards hypothetical suggestions aggravates me, particularly in light of the poor job the publishers and developers have done so far in terms of releasing either a product or information.

if you think it's OBVIOUS that every OBVIOUS flaw in an alpha will be fixed by release time, then it's OBVIOUS you have no experience with software development.

Was he wrong? did you not do the VERY thing he knew would happen? Donald is ALWAYS met with negativity whenever he gives any information. He owe's us nothing, purchasing the game and its expansions doesn't entitle us to talking with him. He does it because he's a nice guy.

I AM a software engineer. OBVIOUS flaws DO get fixed for release. It's those pesky quirky ones that only happens if x is followed by y is followed by z that don't always get caught. Does any software ever get released bug free HELL NO. Every single bug fix or feature add ends up breaking something that didn't even seem related but I digress.

Donald X new someone would rage about things and shoot the messenger, and thats exactly what happened. I'm frankly surprised he keeps coming back to give us information.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2012, 01:31:23 pm »
+2

I don't see how it's aggrevating or offensive at all. He gave us information on it. Yes it doesn't have all the expansions or even the right symbols at the bottom. That's not DXV's doing. I'm actually hopeful for the implementation if the worst thing they do is have a few wrong symbols.

Anyways to keep it short thanks for the information I look forward to more as we approach release.

Being able to see the trash, like every other thing anyone will helpfully point out in that cute outraged way people have, is obv. needed and will obv. be done, obv., and no you are not the first one to think of this, hypothetical helpful outraged person.

Obviously I'm not complaining about him finally providing some information, I'm say that his denigrating tone towards hypothetical suggestions aggravates me, particularly in light of the poor job the publishers and developers have done so far in terms of releasing either a product or information.

if you think it's OBVIOUS that every OBVIOUS flaw in an alpha will be fixed by release time, then it's OBVIOUS you have no experience with software development.

Was he wrong? did you not do the VERY thing he knew would happen? Donald is ALWAYS met with negativity whenever he gives any information. He owe's us nothing, purchasing the game and its expansions doesn't entitle us to talking with him. He does it because he's a nice guy.

I AM a software engineer. OBVIOUS flaws DO get fixed for release. It's those pesky quirky ones that only happens if x is followed by y is followed by z that don't always get caught. Does any software ever get released bug free HELL NO. Every single bug fix or feature add ends up breaking something that didn't even seem related but I digress.

Donald X new someone would rage about things and shoot the messenger, and thats exactly what happened. I'm frankly surprised he keeps coming back to give us information.

Because not all of the reaction is negative.  There're users like me who hop around the room and salivate every time we see those five green stars in front of a post.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2012, 02:10:37 pm »

I don't know about the mental giants. But I do.

I don't think his tone is really that denigrating here. He's trying to head off complaints from the OUTRAGED people. If you're one of them, then don't worry about it. If you are... well, the point is, don't be outraged. There's a long way from annoyance to outrage. He's trying to say 'yes, we know that this is an issue, and so we're working on it, don't freak out'. He's trying to stop people from going nuts, because they're giving information, and it's not perfect yet. He knows there's problems, so he doesn't want people to go to the extremes. He's being pre-emptive. You can't have it both ways, either you want the information, or you only want a perfect product.

Agree with that. On the other hand, I don't know that we're the people to bring it up, and, moreover, they KNOW it's a problem. So I don't think screaming that there's a problem is going to help.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2012, 02:14:53 pm »

Oh, and

If you think it's OBVIOUS that you're not complaining, then you OBVIOUSLY haven't argued with someone like yourself.

barsooma

« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2012, 02:30:26 pm »

Oh, and

If you think it's OBVIOUS that you're not complaining, then you OBVIOUSLY haven't argued with someone like yourself.

Lrn2grammar, buddy guy.
You have a seriously AGGRAVATING habit, WanderingWinder, of quoting out of context and making deliberate misinterpretations. It's almost as annoying as your tendency to shift the topic whenever one of your baseless assertions is challenged.

Of course I'm complaining, just not about that particular thing (which is why I quoted a completely separate part of the message).

barsooma

« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »

I don't think his tone is really that denigrating here. He's trying to head off complaints from the OUTRAGED people. If you're one of them, then don't worry about it. If you are... well, the point is, don't be outraged. There's a long way from annoyance to outrage. He's trying to say 'yes, we know that this is an issue, and so we're working on it, don't freak out'. He's trying to stop people from going nuts, because they're giving information, and it's not perfect yet. He knows there's problems, so he doesn't want people to go to the extremes. He's being pre-emptive. You can't have it both ways, either you want the information, or you only want a perfect product.

Fair enough, but I think trying to head off outrage by basically telling potential complainers that they should piss off, is going to be a self-defeating strategy.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2012, 02:38:10 pm »

Fair enough, but I think trying to head off outrage by basically telling potential complainers that they should piss off, is going to be a self-defeating strategy.

Clearly, that's what you do...  ::)
I didn't read Donald as saying that at all. If you did, then uh, okay, I would think that's a bad move too.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »

Oh, and

Lrn2grammar, buddy guy.
You have a seriously AGGRAVATING habit, WanderingWinder, of quoting out of context and making deliberate misinterpretations. It's almost as annoying as your tendency to shift the topic whenever one of your baseless assertions is challenged.

Of course I'm complaining, just not about that particular thing (which is why I quoted a completely separate part of the message).
You're telling ME to learn grammar. LOL. My grammar is probably not perfect, I grant you, because I'm not taking the time to proofread anything really. But... well, you're very funny.
I don't make deliberate misinterpretations. If I'm misinterpreting something you say, it's because I'm not understanding it; I'm simply misinterpreting myself, not just in public. The fault may be with you, not getting your point across clearly, or it might be with me, in not understanding something you've made sufficiently clear.
I sometimes quote out of context, but I try not to, at least without saying 'this is out of context'. I don't see how what you're saying there is lacking any relevant context. Also, show me any of my assertions which is, in fact, baseless, or any time I've changed the subject when challenged.
LightningEdit: Guess he can't...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2012, 03:37:46 pm »

Was barsooma banned, or did (s)he just delete his/her profile?

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2012, 04:00:57 pm »

The smart money would point towards banned. Not exactly shocking if you've followed his posting career here.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2012, 04:30:40 pm »

The smart money would point towards banned. Not exactly shocking if you've followed his posting career here.

Yeah, I mean, yelling at the creator of the game for which this forum exists solely to discuss...  not exactly smart.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2012, 05:04:39 pm »
+4

Can we get back to talking about the game instead of about barsooma now?

Let the wild speculation run rampant!

Did I hear something about moddable or plug-in or-user AIs? Do we have any sort of information on what'll be available? (Where on the spectrum from some sort of full API to drop-down menus to select behavior?)

I wish I had the dedication to try making a Dominion AI. I've thought a lot about it, but it's such a big project...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2012, 05:22:41 pm »

Can we get back to talking about the game instead of about barsooma now?

Let the wild speculation run rampant!

Did I hear something about moddable or plug-in or-user AIs? Do we have any sort of information on what'll be available? (Where on the spectrum from some sort of full API to drop-down menus to select behavior?)

I wish I had the dedication to try making a Dominion AI. I've thought a lot about it, but it's such a big project...

I'm guessing it would be more of the latter, with options to select for preferred cards or preferred strategies (big money, engines, etc).  Hell, maybe even make one that buys Chancellor over Silver.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2012, 01:13:31 pm »
+1

I didn't ban him (I was away the weekend), and rrenaud says he did not either. Seems like it resolved itself.

Turambar

• Baron
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2012, 05:39:43 am »

Like some others I also have an issue with animations, if there is no option for both turning animations off and only playing against other players without animations, I don't think I'll bother trying it. Even many Isotropic games are too slow for my liking.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2012, 11:46:58 am »
+2

Like some others I also have an issue with animations, if there is no option for both turning animations off and only playing against other players without animations, I don't think I'll bother trying it. Even many Isotropic games are too slow for my liking.

Donald X has already stated that the animation speeds shown are medium, and that there is a fast setting as well and the fast is pretty comparable. He also mentioned that he hopes that their is the ability to pair based on it for quickmatches because well if the other person is still watching you play a card then your effectively on medium.

Isotropic is too slow? How? Isotropic does the BARE MINIMUM it straight resolves actions theres no animation.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2012, 11:50:18 am »
+1

Pawn.
Hamlet.
Navigator.

3 things that slow down the game a lot, from top of my head. Many more there.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:14 am »

Pawn.
Hamlet.
Navigator.

Pirate Ship attack, or Pirate Ship money...   Attack...  Money...  Hmmmm....  HMMMMM....

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2012, 12:06:15 pm »

Pawn.
Hamlet.
Navigator.

Pawn and Hamlet I'll give you, but how does Navigator slow the game down by any significant amount?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2012, 12:28:15 pm »

I know I did.
I had things like Nav, Nobles, Cantrips.. It was awfully slow to  decide what order do you leave stuff in to be optimal.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »
+1

these types of things seem to be components of dominion strategy that slow the game down.  Insomniac seemed to be referring to features specific to Isotropic which slowed the gameplay down. 

for every half second lost clicking on a pawn or hamlet make sure to remember all of the time saved by instant shuffling and automatic counting of points at the end of the game.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

sjelkjd

• Salvager
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2012, 12:40:59 pm »

Isotropic is generally pretty awesome for interface effectiveness, but it doesn't make good use of the available screen space.  I'll use three examples:
Pawn.  I have to pick 2 of 4 options with tiny check boxes.  If the options I could pick were the same size as the cards in my hand, this would be easier and faster to select.
Navigator.  I need to reorder 5 cards.  The drag hit test region is tiny.  If it presented the cards at the same size as the hand cards, with the images from the hand cards, and let me drag them, it would be much easier to order them.
King's court.  I need to pick a card to play 3 times.  Why not just let me click on the hand cards?  It would be easier to find(ie, I've already internalized their order, there are images, and the hit region is much larger).  Instead I see a row of text and have to go hunt for the card that I want to play.

The main problem is that it takes longer to click on a tiny piece of text than it does on a big image.  If most of the choice actions(e.g. pick this or that) were large images I could click, the game would play faster.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »

Also - Vault - when you need to click many checkboxes.
Margrave - when you need to click 3, but as things are tiny I tend to loose track of my options (esp when I change around trying for best combination).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 1.263 seconds with 21 queries.