Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Potion costs  (Read 4272 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Potion costs
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:23:12 pm »

Okay, my basic question is encapsulated by this: why is it that when I swindle an alchemist, I can't turn it into a silver, but when I forge it, I can?

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
Re: Potion costs
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:25:06 pm »

The text of Forge says "The same cost in coins".

Swindler just says "cost."

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:00:03 am »

Similarly, apprentice takes potions into account when trashing for effect, while bishop and salvager don't.  You can turn a possession into a golem if it gets hit by a saboteur though.  It's all about the wording on the card.  Why they are different? Some are from before potions came out, others... probably just whatever Donald X. thought made the card simplest.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »

Huh.  I never noticed that before.  Whattaya know.  I guess I should review the rulebooks every now and then.  Here's what the Prosperity rulebook says about the issue:

Potion symbols (on cards from Dominion: Alchemy) are not added, and the card you gain cannot have a Potion symbol in its cost.

I suppose the latter rule is there to prevent you from Forging two Silvers into a Possession, since it specifically says "cost in coins".  So, even if you Forge a card with Potion in its cost, you cannot gain a card with Potion in its cost.  I didn't realize that.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:51:13 pm »

The forge probably has the simplest description possible for its function. You wouldn't want players arguing whether forging two apothecaries could make a golem, based on whether the combined cost is four coins and two potions, four coins, or four coins and a potion.

Diving Pikachu

• Navigator
  • ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:39:30 pm »

I for one wish Salvagers could handle potion costs. "Trash a card from your hand. +$ and ◉ equal to its cost." You could use it or lose it in your buy, and it won't fundamentally change the card. I think if Alchemy were released before Seaside, we would've seen this happen.

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 06:04:20 pm »

I for one wish Salvagers could handle potion costs. "Trash a card from your hand. +$ and ◉ equal to its cost." You could use it or lose it in your buy, and it won't fundamentally change the card. I think if Alchemy were released before Seaside, we would've seen this happen.

Bishop came out after and doesn't give +1 vp for the potion, which it would if it kept in line with apprentice.

Donald X. had plans for the potions well before seaside was released as well.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.